PDA

View Full Version : Rate MICHAEL CLAYTON

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I got to see two movies in the theater this weekend. (y)

Michael Clayton is really solid. Clooney is really good, Tom Wilkinson is really really good, pulling off a pretty difficult part.

The story is basically: Wilkinson and Clooney are lawyers at a firm that makes most of their money from U-North, a company that makes
fertilizers and such. Wilkinson has been knee deep in this lawsuit against them which has dragged on for six years: people die from their
fertilizers. Anyway, the movie opens as he's finally had a breakdown over defending them, because he knows they know how dangerous
their product is. Basically, he's screwing up their case, contacting plaintiffs, and Clooney, as the law firm's "fixer," gets sent in to manage the
crisis.

Years of dirty work has worn Clooney's character down, too, but he's beholden to his law firm, struggling with major debt and so on.

Anyway. Well done all 'round. It's pretty smart, looks good, and the script is pretty cleanly written. Definitely one of the better movies so far
this year.

B+. (y)

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I went and saw "we own the night" instead

not sure if I should regret that now. Hmmm.

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Was it any good?

I think Yeti and I are the only ones on the board so far talking up Clayton. I'd go see it before it's gone.

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
a couple scenes were pretty gruesome and made me shrink down into my seat. The character traits and actions were very believable though.

if you want to see a pretty good movie that follows a similar "one brother works for the cops, other brother is a no good" then rent "10th and wolf (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360323/)"

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
if you want to see a pretty good movie that follows a similar "one brother works for the cops, other brother is a no good" then rent "10th and wolf (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360323/)"

Thanks -- I'd never heard of that.

Is Marsden any good? Something tells me there might be something there.

BBboy20
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Majority of the audience were seniors...19 year old a muck with old people....it was somewhat weird.

Yeti
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
The matinee I went to see was also filled with old people. Oh, wait a minute I'm old. Nevermind.

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks -- I'd never heard of that.

Is Marsden any good? Something tells me there might be something there.

all I can think is cylcops! when I see him in movies. but he was actually quite excellent in it.

abcdefz
10-23-2007, 08:12 AM
all I can think is cylcops! when I see him in movies. but he was actually quite excellent in it.

Supposedly he was good in Hairspray, but I can't muster any interest in seeing that.

mickill
10-23-2007, 10:15 AM

It wasn't bad, but it falls apart in the third act and goes a little over the top in the action department.

Michael Clayton, however, is excellent.

BBboy20
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
The matinee I went to see was also filled with old people. Oh, wait a minute I'm old. Nevermind.Oddly enough, so was an old audience when I saw Good Night and Good Luck.

abcdefz
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah -- I don't think Michael Clayton or Good Night Good Luck are of much interest to teenagers, really.

BBboy20
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah -- I don't think Michael Clayton or Good Night Good Luck are of much interest to teenagers, really.True...still, I wasn't like "oh well, hey I'm not like those stupid teenagers/young adults that see nothing butz crappy fart joke movies"...something about it attracted me yet I'm not sure what that was.