PDA

View Full Version : Rate GONE BABY GONE

abcdefz
10-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Good stuff. This is kind of like Chinatown if it were drained of its charisma. That's not such a bad thing: this just feels more real, and
nobody gets away clean.

The first hour probably could've been tightened up. The way the story was told, I actually thought the movie was winding up, but then
something happens and the whole thing restarts. Kind of an interesting way to tell the whole two-hour story.

There's some pretty wrenching stuff in here. Casey Affleck is good, but kind of miscast; I can't decide about that. It's a really really
interesting choice to make to have cast him in this, though. Adds an element.

Man, there's moral dilemna aplenty.

Very well directed. You get a real sense of place. There were, like, two shots in the whole movie I balked at.

B. (y)

Yeti
10-30-2007, 06:44 AM
A to the Z, I noticed one other vote. You rated it a 7? I give it a 9.

I really thought Ben Affleck did a fine job of directing. His portrayal of the Boston townies was perfect. Casey Affleck was very solid in his role of the young private investigator. Ed Harris----do I even have to say he was great?
I thought the plot and script were excellent.

This is the best film I have seen this year.
I plan to go and check out The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and American Gangster next week.

abcdefz
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
I would've gone 7.5, but couldn't quite go up to an 8. It's a little slower than it needed to be, I think, and the first half probably could've been
cut by half. And Casey did a good job, but I'm still not sure he was really right for the part.

Good stuff, though. I wonder what it looks like after a second viewing.

Oh -- the lady who played the little girl's mother was amazing. (y)

Yeti
10-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I thought the pacing was very good. It think he chose to lead us to believe the film was wrapping and then hit us with the twists. Casey was a little young but I think his age lended itself to the angst of the cops. I agree that the mother was excellent. I had a hard time with Casey Affleck's girlfriend in the film making "the choice" (I don't want to give anything away). The beginning of the film had narration that mentioned something like--it is funny how most things that affect our life our things beyond our control like where we grow up--our parents, etc. The narration at the beginning really sums up the content of the film although you do not realize it at the time.

Did you notice that Ed Harris' partner was Taggert from Beverly Hills Cop?

abcdefz
10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't remember BHC much at all. Was Judge Reinholdt (?) in that?

I really liked the way that both sides of the choice were really well presented. Very, very balanced.

I think part of my problem with Casey is he doesn't have enough weight as a detective to make me believe someone would hire him for this.
You could believe Jack Nicholson was a detective, so he worked; I think that's the key thing Casey is missing.

Yeti
10-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I can agree with you on that point. They were in a small apartment with little experience. I guess his strength was that he grew up as a townie.

I am interested to see how he does as Robert Ford in the Assassination of Jesse James. Casey is having a good month. Would it be safe to say that Casey Affleck and Ryan Gosling are the hot young actors of the moment?

abcdefz
10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
...don't forget... is it Joseph Gordon Levitt? However you spell it. (y)

Yeah, I hope Casey catches on with people. Too bad he was utterly wasted in the Ocean's 11 movies.