PDA

View Full Version : southern california is on fire

beastieangel01
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
again.

this time it's worse though.

my eyes are burning because of the air. Agh.
Also the cable just died so I can't see the news, and my best friend and her family was evacuated from their home.

And it's 92 today on the coast. In October, with very strong santa anas. No relief in sight in regards to weather, and the fires are 0-5% contained. This is nuts.

TimDoolan
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Sorry

monkey
10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
damn :( i hope you're out of harm's way

cosmo105
10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
my eyes are itchy and miserable and steger was up until 3 am coughing last night because of the fucking santa anas. i can't stand it when it's this dry. the dew point was at 3 degrees! christ!

QueenAdrock
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Well you can all be rest assured that none of this has to do with global warming.

Seriously though, I hope you all are okay. :(

The Notorious LOL
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
perhaps Im just an idiot but it would seem to me that a wildfire in San Diego/Orange/Riverside Counties shouldnt be that hard to contain being that theres a fuckload of water (see Pacific Ocean) real close by.

Bob
10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
my eyes are itchy and miserable and steger was up until 3 am coughing last night because of the fucking santa anas. i can't stand it when it's this dry. the dew point was at 3 degrees! christ!

i don't even know what a dew point is, so i can't imagine how bad it must be to worry about it

anyway don't catch on fire cosmo or ba01 :(

HEIRESS
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
my entire region almost burnt down in summer 2003

this was the first of the big blazes. my house was atleast on the other side of the river from that mountain fire. so we felt atleast semi-safe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/HEIRESS/poopoo/kamloopsfire.jpg

I didnt see the sun, except to sorta see its general location through the smokey sky for about...3-4 weeks?

I had friends whose saw/pulp mills were burnt down by the fires and since they were jobless now they all went and joined the forest fire fighter crews

it was just a huge summer of suckage. though we get our fair shair of forest fires each summer, 2003 was the worst.

so I feel for you kids.

forest fire funding is so unbelievably expensive, its not even funny.

RobMoney$
10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Heiress, your town looks like that one in Joe Dirt, Silvertown.

scotty
10-23-2007, 12:43 AM
i don't even know what a dew point is, so i can't imagine how bad it must be to worry about it

Dew point is the temperature it needs to be for air to reach saturation, or 100% relative humidity, and water converts from vapour to liquid. Its how dew forms on grass overnight, hence its name.

My thoughts go out to those in the area. Australians know all about bushfires and how frightening and destructive they are. Stay safe, people.

Auton
10-23-2007, 01:58 AM

oh, thanks BOB. glad you care :mad:

paul jones
10-23-2007, 02:02 AM
damn fires! hope everyone will be allright.

silence7
10-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Fire's been real bad around here today, alternate routes, fire engines everywhere, cops re-directing me AWAY from the house, smoke everywhere, sirens, people calling to make sure all is well, and then there's the f-ing 100mph wind...

Fires are the price So-Cal pays for having sunshine 360 days out of the year.

Silence7

abcdefz
10-23-2007, 08:09 AM
This whole situation sounds pretty nuts. I hope you guys are safe.

When people are evacuated... are they just on their own, to find housing? Do hotels or shelters open up? I assume the Red Cross steps in
if people don't have transportation, friends or family to go to, etc.

kaiser soze
10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
man, I saw images of all the different fires. I hope all of you and your fellow residents are safe

Here's something Glenn Beck said about the victims, fuck him

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/10/radio-host-says.html

beastieangel01
10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
people in sd can leave to qualcomm stadium and various other places closer to downtown (if not friends or other families homes).

This is just so nuts. This is definitely the price we pay for the weather. It almost never rains, which means dry brush, with santa anas and if someone flicks a cig or any little thing then bam.

It's just really has never been this bad before. It's like the main city area of San Diego is circled in by fire.

beastieangel01
10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I forgot to add, a few friends of mine came over to the place I'm crashing and we ended up just drinking beer and wine all night, playing sing star on ps2 and being goofy. It was like a fire evac party. We'll probably do another one tonight be goofy then finally calm down and stay up till 6am watching the news.

I wanted to go volunteer and do something but unfortunately my car is older and I don't get the recycled air and with the ash and blah blah.

I feel like I'm going crazy.

mickill
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
perhaps Im just an idiot but it would seem to me that a wildfire in San Diego/Orange/Riverside Counties shouldnt be that hard to contain being that theres a fuckload of water (see Pacific Ocean) real close by.

I think the problem therein is getting the ocean to want to attack the fires.

abcdefz
10-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Wish I was ocean-size. :(

vickista
10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
john howards such a two faced bitch.

when half of fucking greece was on fire it was on for two minutes on the news, now that its America he says he'll do anything he can to help.

fucking shit cunt dog, if someone doesn't pop him soon..

silence7
10-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Couple years ago I actually had to evacuate, and had fire trucks stationed right out in front of the house, just stayed with parents for a few days.

There is a local place here that has large fair grounds and a few semi-large auditoriums that it has offered up for people who don't have a place to stay.

This time it has come within about a mile of my place and half a block of my girlfriends house, and it's been hell getting back and forth from work.

vickista
10-24-2007, 12:53 AM
but hopefully there aren't too many people displaced because of this, and they get them under control soon.

abcdefz
10-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Look at this satellite photo that is on CNN:

photo (http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/10/24/fire.wildfire.ca/t1home.cal.fire.wed.13.ap.jpg)

That's nuts.

AceFace
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
oh wow. i hope everyone is safe! this is just terrible!

abcdefz
10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
It's pretty remarkable that more people haven't been hurt. I think it's 1 dead, about 60 injuries, 1 million people evacuated.

Bob
10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
i was born in san diego, apparently the neighborhood in which i grew up got evacuated.

looks like i moved just in time!

Whatitis
10-24-2007, 12:06 PM
check it out

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/satloop.php?wfo=lox&type=vis&size=1

The sky is orange, my eyes burn and breathing this shit sucks but it's awful for those that have lost anything.

adrockmelanie
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
it's freezing here. i wore my winter coat last night.