PDA

View Full Version : Just spent the evening doing bookkeeping

scotty
10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
The books for my wifes business were messy as fuck. All handwritten notes everywhere with no way of keeping track of income and expenses apart from her excellent memory. And because I've some experience in these things and because I'm a good husband, I organised her past financial records and set up separate books for tracking that stuff, keeping an eye on debtors and creditors, GST (a bit like VAT, for you UKer's) for her BAS, and to monitor expenses. And now I'm pretty much braindead. Accountancy is what you do in hell and those who practice it on purpose are surely descended from medieval torture masters.

scotty
10-23-2007, 07:43 AM
I didn't bother with things like trial balances and profit/loss statements because its a pretty small operation that doesn't employ anyone or have any major expenses and I just couldn't be fucked with balance day adjustments and the like. Because its just her, she doesn't need to spend anymore time than she has to on her books, so it needed to run efficiently.

I hadn't done any accounting for about ten years. Just doing that simple stuff did my head in, reminding why I got the fuck out in the first place.

paul jones
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
beats beekeeping anyday