PDA

View Full Version : so let's say you emailed your professor

cosmo105
10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
to let her know that you were going to miss about half of class next week (not this week, mind you) because you had to do a presentation (for another class) in front of an audience and the professor for that class canceled it and this was the only time for which she could reschedule you. and there was really no way you could get out of it, you HAD to do this right then because it was too late to change to something different and the presentation assignment (in your other class) is due very shortly after. and you wanted to email this professor well in advance to say, i know it's only going to be a work session on our group project that day, and i'll be sure to let my group know well in advance and i really just wanted to let you know...

and she replied with this:

Jessica, that's really, really unfortunate that the teacher had to
cancel. Really unfortunate, as it puts you in this position. Life is
about making decisions...

WTF DOES THAT MEAN :(

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Is your professor Oprah?

Bob
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
she's making fun of you

monkey
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
passive aggressive responses from people in charge annoy me to no end. i would just not even bother replying, as you did more than what is necessary for you, you informed your prof. about your inability to attend. it's not like you're in grade school and your attendance is mandatory. you're an adult, and you make adult decisions regarding your classes and your grades.

milleson
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
passive aggressive responses from people in charge annoy me to no end. i would just not even bother replying, as you did more than what is necessary for you, you informed your prof. about your inability to attend. it's not like you're in grade school and your attendance is mandatory. you're an adult, and you make adult decisions regarding your classes and your grades.

Well put.

cosmo105
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
thanks, that actually does make me feel quite a bit better. the thing is this lady's sort of the mama bear for our department, and i really respect her and she's even my adviser. but yeah, sometimes she gets that way. and it irks me that she corrects people when they call her by her first or last name, and not "Doctor so-and-so," saying, "i think i've earned it." well, yes, you have, but it's a little pretentious to say that, isn't it? i've had plenty of profs with phds that insisted upon being called by just their first name.

HEIRESS
10-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I never called a teacher "professor blahblah" or "doctor soandso" once during my entire university years.

always first name basis.

Documad
10-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Now that I'm a boss, I get a lot of really earnest emails from underlings and sometimes I barely read them and make stupid responses. That sounds like her stock response to student questions.

Yetra Flam
10-23-2007, 09:24 PM

yep.

insertnamehere
10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Now that I'm a boss, I get a lot of really earnest emails from underlings and sometimes I barely read them and make stupid responses. That sounds like her stock response to student questions.

at least you're honest?

ToucanSpam
10-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Just don't go to that class once hahaha the earth won't split into pieces. You did your due dilligence, a good professor won't give a shit if you miss one class for something else. They'd have to be unprofessional and petty.

Lex Diamonds
10-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Send her a shirty response. Start it with "First off: fuck your bitch and the click you claim! West Side when we ride, come equipped with game!"

Kid Presentable
10-24-2007, 05:37 AM
She's clearly mocking your efforts. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered. Maybe it's just her.

AceFace
10-24-2007, 08:05 AM
ok, as far as the "Dr. So and so" thing. she has earned that. you don't go in to see your medical Dr. and immediately call them by their first name do you? it's the same thing. SURE some profs can be easy going and laid back and let you use their first name, but she has earned the right to demand your respect. of course she's being uptight and bitchy about it, but that's the way she wants it.

i woulda responded back "decision made per my last email sent to you, DOCTOR."

abcdefz
10-24-2007, 08:07 AM
It was definitely a passive aggressive response. But you really should've handled this in person or over the phone. Sending an e-mail saying
"I won't be there" is kind of like dropping a little bomb. Not too cool.