PDA

View Full Version : NFL in London

DIGI
10-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone here going or know anyone who is going to the game at Wembley Stadium? Excited or horrified that we're bringin' our McDonald's lovin', fat ass culture to your area? Any thoughts?

Gareth
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
i saw on espn that they built a massive robot version of some dolphins player and put it somewhere in london
looked more scray than anything

DIGI
10-26-2007, 04:52 PM
His name is Jason Taylor. He's from my hometown........and Jackass 2, I believe.

Gareth
10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
ta
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/10/jasontaylor.jpg
he should fight the big freddie mercury statue outside that theatre place.

checkyourprez
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
im not sure what the reaction will be. maybe they will think its too slow. thats one thing that really bothers me about the nfl. it takes for fucking ever to move sometimes.

on the reverse i doubt the english would ever let a BPL game come over and be played here. i would love it, but i think it just means a lot more to the people over in england. the fans wouldnt allow it.

trailerprincess
10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
My manager is going on Sunday I think. He's been yakking about something to do with NFL for ages. I just turn up my ipod and nod occasionally.

:rebel:

Freebasser
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
West Ham United chairman Egbert Magnusson was commenting on this NFL London doodah yesterday and saying that he could see English football (SOCCCURRR) teams going over to the U.S. to play Premiership games.

If that happened I would probably give up watching football (SOCCCKKEURRRR).

TonsOfFun
10-27-2007, 01:59 AM
I read about this yesterday and nearly started a thread called; Any UKers give a sh!t NFL is on our shores - but I didn't obviously.

Nah, I don't care for NFL. We've just lost the rugby (although deserved to) and having a simplified nursery version playing here as a big event is pretty insulting since I've heard it compared to rugby in the past.

The english printing press also aren't covering it very well at all, and as the world know, the press here have NOTHING to do and will sensationalise anything so I think its "nice to know your here but fudge off" for the NFL in London.

ms.peachy
10-27-2007, 02:16 AM
People keep asking me about it - I guess the presumption is that because I am American, I must be really excited. They seem really let down when I tell them I don't care and don't follow any sports in either country.

Planetary
10-27-2007, 04:04 AM
I don't care and don't follow any sports in either country.

noob

roosta
10-27-2007, 01:54 PM
There was an American dude on the radio talking about this and he was saying that they picked an awful pair of teams for it. He said the Dolpins were pure shite and that it was like if the Premiership went to the US and took two relegation-battling teams.

Parkey
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
No-one will give a shit. It's like a girls version of rugby.

Yeti
10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
To call the NFL a girls version of rugby is laughable. They are totally different sports. Both sports employ strategy, skill and aggression. I have grown up watching the NFL and I love the game. I have never ever thought of the players as girls. They are tough son of a guns. Football and rugby are just different sports. I have never understood bashing European Football, American Football or Rugby. I guess people have to think that their favorite sport is the best. It is all about your culture and I like college and pro football. If you grow up watching a sport you understand the nuances of the game. I don't think anyone would walk up to Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis and call them a Mary. I also think you could easily get the best of the best NFL players and teach them the sport of Rugby and they would compete favorably against any team.

Oh, well to each there own.

Bob
10-27-2007, 10:30 PM
lol if this (http://www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/images/articles/sapp/bob-sapp.jpg) is what you consider girly i'd hate to meet your women

ToucanSpam
10-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Honestly, this is a good effort on the part of the NFL. And with this push now coming to introduce the NFL to Toronto I can see how this game has a shot at leaking into other countries and being successful in the distant future.

That being said, I don't think the CFL of other major sports similar to American football will be easy to shrug off. We'll see what happens in a few years.

They did pick two very uninteresting teams for this event...

RobMoney$
10-27-2007, 11:57 PM
The two teams were picked before the season started, it's hard to tell that they were going to be sub-par at that point. It probably had more to do with the fact that they were New York & Miami, two of the more international cities so to speak than anything.

And for all you people from the UK who don't want the NFL in your country, guess what...we here in the US don't want the NFL in the UK, or anywhere else outside the US just as much as you.
The NFL is considering hosting a future Super Bowl in London and I think it's horrible. The Super Bowl generates millions of dollars of revenue for whatever city it's held in and I think it's the NFL's ethical duty to keep that revenue in the US.
Cities like New Orleans and San Diego can use that revenue more than somewhere outside our country.

Keep your filthy, international hands off of our national sport.

TonsOfFun
10-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Keep your filthy, international hands off of our national sport.

thought that was baseball?

I think because of all the anti-american feeling to - it is seen as an American PR stunt. It'll backfire like most of these things imho.

But its like when Beckham went to the US, no1 there gave a shite, it was bigger news over here.

Americans don't like europeans
Europeans don't like americans - we should keep it like that and sod all the good-relations stuff and we can rip on each other centuries more :)

Loppfessor
10-28-2007, 04:33 AM
I just think it sucks for the fans over there, who have to pay money to go watch the lowly Dolphins play. Then again I'd be pissed if my team went to play there in lieu of a home game.

RobMoney$
10-28-2007, 07:44 AM
thought that was baseball?

I think because of all the anti-american feeling to - it is seen as an American PR stunt. It'll backfire like most of these things imho.

But its like when Beckham went to the US, no1 there gave a shite, it was bigger news over here.

Europeans don't like americans - we should keep it like that and sod all the good-relations stuff and we can rip on each other centuries more :)

Baseball was called the national pastime, back in the '50's and '60's it was the #1 sport in America. It still has it's place in many people's hearts, but the NFL is clearly the most popular now. The Super Bowl is practically a national holiday.

...and I don't agree with the Americans don't like Europeans comment. Soccer is growing here. Many kids, mine included, are growing up playing the sport and America as a whole is learning an appreciation for the game. The US is now competitive in World Cup and International play so I think it has it's place here. I doubt if it'll ever be #1 though.

Planetary
10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
They are tough son of a guns.

homo

DIGI
10-28-2007, 11:10 AM
No-one will give a shit. It's like a girls version of rugby.

LOL. Oh man, you're funny. Rugby players are now the new punters for the NFL. Punters=fags that never get hit because they're half the size.

Parkey
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
It's ace that Americans think anyone else gives a shit about their sport.

American Football; rugby for girls
Baseball; rounders

The rest of the world is happy with proper football thanks.

Parkey
10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
LOL. Oh man, you're funny. Rugby players are now the new punters for the NFL. Punters=fags that never get hit because they're half the size.

Surely it doesn't matter what size you are; they all romp around like Master Chief. Take that armour off and play properly.

Bob
10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
blah blah i'm british i don't like american football please be bothered by this blah blah

Parkey
10-28-2007, 01:45 PM
blah blah i'm british i don't like american football please be bothered by this blah blah

see you next tuesday

Bob
10-28-2007, 01:47 PM
friday, until...california...klansman...you

Parkey
10-28-2007, 01:49 PM
friday, until...california...klansman...you

Ha (y)

Touche.

roosta
10-28-2007, 07:09 PM
ha! Rugby and American Football fans fighting...

you're both wrong

RobMoney$
10-28-2007, 07:39 PM
...but my sport is better than your sport.

Bob
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
ha! Rugby and American Football fans fighting...

you're both wrong

jai alai is the real sport of kings

Gareth
10-29-2007, 12:47 AM
i like nfl, rugby and league.
but i dont understand aussie rules.

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 12:55 AM

LOL excellent summary....meanwhile that game kinda sucked but the fans seemed to enjoy it. Next year they really should send some good teams to play though. I think it might be kinda ironic if they sent the Patriots....I'd be funny though

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 12:56 AM
hahaha

Bob
10-29-2007, 05:11 AM
you know what though, i've been thinking -- if american football is a girls' version of rugby, why do i know girls who play rugby, but none who play american football?

i mean granted both of the girls i know who play rugby are rather stout little lesbians who could drink me under the table, but still

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
There are some semi-pro or even pro women's football (American) leagues....it's just not that popular

Bob
10-29-2007, 06:32 AM
There are some semi-pro or even pro women's football (American) leagues....it's just not that popular

well...that solves that mystery i guess

TonsOfFun
10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
you know what though, i've been thinking -- if american football is a girls' version of rugby, why do i know girls who play rugby, but none who play american football?

Because American men are bigger pussies than american women?

Or you know some fairly butch girls and all your male friends are pussies?

Bob
10-29-2007, 07:03 AM
i know male rugby players too there, chief

i'm pretty sure they're all date rapists though...

Yeti
10-29-2007, 07:08 AM
I covered a huge rugby tournament with clubs from all over the US. Players had broken noses, broken arms and they were bleeding all over themselves. When they were finished they would drink like crazy people. I remember them diving into a large mud puddle and they had a rugby queen. They would carry her around on their shoulders and sing songs. It was interesting.

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
i have a few questions about NFL, and i'm being serious, i'm not trying to have a go a anyone.

there's an offensive and a defensive side on an NFL team right? why's that?

what's the average size/weight of a forward or whatever an attacking player is called? because i've heard NFL players are bigger than rugby players

and is there a reason why NFL players wear helmets and a huge amount of padding? is it because NFL players get paid alot more then say rugby players and team wanna protect their investments or what not?

i'm asking because we dont get the games on tv over here hence i dont really know shit about it

Yeti
10-29-2007, 07:42 AM
i have a few questions about NFL, and i'm being serious, i'm not trying to have a go a anyone.

there's an offensive and a defensive side on an NFL team right? why's that?
The offense runs plays and attempts to score on the defense. Teams have hundreds of prepared offensive plays. The defense attempts to stop the offense from scoring. The defense can also intercept a pass or recover and fumble and return it for a touchdown (score).

what's the average size/weight of a forward or whatever an attacking player is called? because i've heard NFL players are bigger than rugby players
Offensive and efensive lineman are the biggest NFL players. They are from 290 pounds to 350 pounds. Some are even bigger.

and is there a reason why NFL players wear helmets and a huge amount of padding? is it because NFL players get paid alot more then say rugby players and team wanna protect their investments or what not?
Players have been paralyzed and suffer concussions. Players run full speed and hit other players. Years ago the players wore flimsy leather helmets. Those oldtimers would call these players sissies. the helmets and pads are for protection of the players just because of the danger.

i'm asking because we dont get the games on tv over here hence i dont really know shit about it

I hope that answered some of your questions.

Bob
10-29-2007, 07:44 AM
i'm not really sure why they get so much padding. it used to be that they didn't get so much. they had leather helmets and i'm not sure what they wore underneath, but they looked a lot skinnier. at some point they decided "we need more protection" i always just assumed people were getting massive head injuries or something

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 07:50 AM
i'm not really sure why they get so much padding. it used to be that they didn't get so much. they had leather helmets and i'm not sure what they wore underneath, but they looked a lot skinnier. at some point they decided "we need more protection" i always just assumed people were getting massive head injuries or something

Yeah back in the day people were getting killed. One president I can't recall which almost banned college football early in the last century because of it, that's when they started with the pads and such....I'll do some research and find out more though when I get time

Yeti
10-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Even with the helmets and padding there are horrible injuries every year. A player for Buffalo was paralyzed the 1st game of the season. Another quarterback is retiring from serious concussions and players are always getting injured. The uniforms are for protection although the helmets can really become weapons.

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football#Violence_and_controve rsy_.281905.29

[edit] Violence and controversy (1905)
From its earliest days as a mob game, football was a violent sport.[5] The 1894 Harvard-Yale game, known as the "Hampden Park Blood Bath", resulted in crippling injuries for four players; the contest was suspended until 1897. The annual Army-Navy game was suspended from 1894–1898 for similar reasons.[16] One of the major problems was the popularity of mass-formations like the flying wedge, in which a large number of offensive players charged as a unit against a similarly arranged defense. The resultant collisions often led to serious injuries and sometimes even death.[17]

The situation came to a head in 1905 when there were 19 fatalities nationwide. President Theodore Roosevelt threatened to shut the game down if drastic changes were not made. One rule change introduced in 1905, devised to open up the game and reduce injury, was the introduction of the legal forward pass. Though it was underutilized for years, this proved to be the last—and one of the most important—rule changes in the establishment of the modern game.[18] On December 28, 1905, 62 schools met in New York City to discuss rule changes to make the game safer. As a result of this meeting, the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States, later named the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), was formed.[19]

Yeah that's what I was talkin bout

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
cheers fellas. i always thought that comparing NFL to rugby was like comparing sprinters to middle distance runners, they're required to do more but in a shorter amount of time, if that makes sense.

the stereotype here is that nfl players are a bunch of soft cocks coz of all the padding they wear, where as rugby players will wear a mouth guard and that's it. Plus LL Cool J in any given sunday didn't help the image either

rugby's a tough sport, i played for 10 years and nearly broke my neck twice and got concussed a few times too. the players aren't as big, the average forward pack is about 2000 pounds, (250 pounds per player) and backs range from 210- 240.

in conclusion, i reckon the tri-nations series (Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa) shits all over six nations (England, France, Italy, Wales, Scotland, Ireland), a top rugby player would be shithouse in a nfl match and vice versa, and instead of giving each other shit, we concentrate on giving shit to those countries who consider soccer to their national football(y)

ps, there's only about 10 ppl in australia who know who Peyton Manning is, lol

TonsOfFun
10-29-2007, 08:25 AM
When all is said and done and I admit the arguments to why they wear protection is good - its still fun to rip on americans and nothing is gonna change that!

Yeti
10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
LL Cool J in any given sunday didn't help the image either

I always find it amusing that some Europeans form opinions from American movies.

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I've heard that rugby players touch each others pee-pees whilst in the "scrum".

nah, that's rugby league, and they stick their fingers up other dudes asses!

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I always find it amusing that some Europeans form opinions from American movies.

last time i check australia wasn't part of europe :p

jabumbo
10-29-2007, 08:38 AM
West Ham United chairman Egbert Magnusson was commenting on this NFL London doodah yesterday and saying that he could see English football (SOCCCURRR) teams going over to the U.S. to play Premiership games.

If that happened I would probably give up watching football (SOCCCKKEURRRR).

i don't know what league the teams were from, but in past years there have been games over here. whatever team it was did sort of an exhibition tour to various cities here and played local teams and such.

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 08:45 AM
So does that mean Euros do it, and the Aussie don't? That makes sense.

the tri-nations series (Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa) shits all over six nations (England, France, Italy, Wales, Scotland, Ireland)

yeah, i'd prolly say you're correct on that one partner

Yeti
10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
last time i check australia wasn't part of europe :p

Sorry, I was not paying attention. I forgot you were an Aussie. How could I forget? Just make sure not to watch Midnight Cowboy.

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 09:03 AM
^but do watch Urban Cowboy (y)

Yeti
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Is your last name Winger? Tell her I loved her in The Officer and a Gentleman.

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 09:12 AM
HELL YEAH!!!

My sister is in that movie.

yet another reason to be down with the Mute!

Freebasser
10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
i don't know what league the teams were from, but in past years there have been games over here. whatever team it was did sort of an exhibition tour to various cities here and played local teams and such.

Various clubs have gone over to the U.S. to do exhibition matches against MLS teams, including my beloved Manchester United, the difference is that that was just that - an exhibition. Pre-season friendly matches to raise money for the club transfer kitty. No points at stake, no league title decider, or Cup Quarter-Final match whereby one team forfeits its home fixture and has to fly across the fucking Atlantic to play in the TacoBowl TM in front of 8 people while all the other teams get an extra 3 days rest before playing in front of the noise of 50,000 of their local fans.

There's one competition, and one competition alone I would even consider letting go over to another country and that's the Community shield where the winners of the league and the winners of the cup play each other in a boring 0-0 draw in order to have bragging rights for who's players are least tired after the previous season. It's technically a friendly, has no bearing on the league and nobody gives a flying fuck about it.

Parkey
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
So in conclusion; American Football is for girls. We're all agreed?

Bob
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
big 300 lb girls

Parkey
10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
The American way!

;)

jabumbo
10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
i've been put under the impression that the reason they had this game was sort of to test the potential interest of the population in regards to hosting a superbowl.

most people say it won't ever happen, but i think that the city of london itself had expressed interest in hosting a superbowl in the future.

i don't know all the details, but thats what i gather from what i have see/heard through various news sources

Bob
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
The American way!

;)

i suppose i walked right into that one

Parkey
10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
No. Think about it. If you don't have pads on you are going to slow up just a little upon impact, self preservation will kick in. Now imgaine you are 6 foot 4 inches tall, weigh 260 pounds, can run 40 meters in in 4.5 seconds, and with pads on, now have no reason to stop. Greater weight + greater speed = bigger impact. And, that's why hockey is so damn tough.

I'm only winding you up. It's just of so little interest to people in the UK. I imagine it's comparable to the sense of indifference Beckham met when he arrived in the States. No-one gives a shit; not because they don't like it, just because we have plenty of sports to be going on with and NFL just seems far too showy. Most people (myself included) have only experienced it through glimpses of the Superbowl - a sports event that has a pop concert at half time... What's that about?! Things like that seriously turn people off in Europe.

Freebasser
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I passed through the living room once and noticed an NFL game on TV.

I thought "I'll give it a chance" and sat down to see that there were only 10 seconds left. "Oh well", I thought and watched what I suspected to be the last kick of the game. But, ohhhhhh no...

TIME OUT TIME OUT!!! ALAMBAMA OKLAHOMA BEEFBURGER BUTTPLUGS HOLLYWOOD! BUD LIGHT SIDEWALK JAYWALK BEER KEG! TIME OUT! TIME OUT!!!
TIMEOUT!!!!1!!!

Then the adverts started. "Fuck this" I thought, and duly left the room. I came back 20 minutes later and the game was still going on.

:/

Yeti
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I find it very funny. I knew that the Brits would hate it polluting their tellies. I was watching ESPN on Sunday and a reporter did a story on the game. He interviewed a Goth looking kid who was genuinely angry at American football. People in America wear jerseys and get all worked up for Sundays. They go to sports bars or have huge flat screen TVs and pay for all the games on Satellite TV. It is the same as when you all get all worked up and don you Manchester United jerseys and go to the pub. Ooops! I know the mention of Manchester United will really get some of you in a tizzy.

TonsOfFun
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
And to be honest, most people turning up at the game was there to see Lewis Hamilton and the new Wembly Stadium. The same reason why an England U21 match sold out there a bit back - cus its a nice stadium to go and visit.

Wonder if any1 will go as low to watch George Michael there to? Hmmms

checkyourprez
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
im american and man is american football fucking gay.

i love soccer (real football), i dont get how people say its boring and slow. its continously moving for 45 minutes. 10/15 minute break another 45 minutes of something constantly happening. unlike american football where these a score, a tv timeout, a kickoff a tv timeout, a first play and could be a real game time out. theres just wayyy too many stoppages in play. and plus the lack of skill involved makes it weak too.

Bob
10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
i dont get how people say its boring and slow. its continously moving for 45 minutes. 10/15 minute break another 45 minutes of something constantly happening.

except for scoring

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah what i don't like about soccer is that the ball is just kinda hovering back and forth around mid field with nothing really happening.

i need goal attempts and many of them. that's why i love basketball. 90% chance that a field goal will be attempted on every possession.

Bob
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
i dunno though i actually kind of take it back. i don't think scoring has to be happening constantly for a sport to be interesting. as long as the game's close, as long as someone can score at any minute. it's like the opposite of basketball, where everyone's scoring constantly

i don't especially dislike football/soccer, i'm just not into sports generally. would you believe that i didn't know until this morning that the red sox won the series? i live in boston and i didn't know until the day after, that's how much i don't give a shit about baseball (i hate the red sox even more now btw, red sox fans are the fucking worst)

checkyourprez
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
yeah what i don't like about soccer is that the ball is just kinda hovering back and forth around mid field with nothing really happening.

i need goal attempts and many of them. that's why i love basketball. 90% chance that a field goal will be attempted on every possession.

i feel it cheapens the points. your going to get them regaurdless. most of the time its whoever has the ball last. so basically the whole of the game is pointless.

a lot of what is so impressive with soccer is how they execute things. even little passes and certain movements or ways to control the ball. its so hard to do at full speed with people all over you.

i go out and shoot baskets with my friends sometimes and im not kobe or anything but i can make my fair share (but i dont really play). you put someone who doesnt really play soccer out there taking free kicks or something and they look like a fool.

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
im not interested in the points. im interested in the plays it takes to get the points. the more exciting well executed plays the better.

RobMoney$
10-29-2007, 08:53 PM
would you believe that i didn't know until this morning that the red sox won the series? i live in boston and i didn't know until the day after, that's how much i don't give a shit about baseball (i hate the red sox even more now btw, red sox fans are the fucking worst)

A guy I work with who's from Boston was wearing a shirt that read "Masshole" today.

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
im a typical masshole

RobMoney$
10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
You should get that shirt then.

Ever see that movie Good Will Hunting,
You know that dude in the Bar that Matt Damon makes look like an asshole, you know...
"Hey, do you like apples?
Well I got her number, how do ya like them apples!"

That dude's a Masshole.

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
i don't like movies

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
a nil all draw in a soccer game is the most boring shit. and it's dickheads like DIDA (http://youtube.com/watch?v=h213GJo76sQ) who spoil the game and make me lose interest in it very quickly

TurdBerglar
10-29-2007, 10:24 PM
what the hell happened?

Knuckles
10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
a lot of what is so impressive with soccer is how they execute things. even little passes and certain movements or ways to control the ball. its so hard to do at full speed with people all over you.

Yeah, that appreciation you have comes from understanding the game.

If you had played/watched basketball all of your life you would be able to spot all the little things that pro b-ballers that are so impressive.

Loppfessor
10-29-2007, 11:13 PM
You might be able to sell me on Rugby which I actually find pretty cool but there is no way you can convince me that soccer is even close to American football....it's an amazing cardio workout but I guess distance running is too but I wouldn't want to watch it on TV

icy manipulator
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
what the hell happened?

i think he failed drama class

mikizee
10-30-2007, 04:02 AM
No. Think about it. If you don't have pads on you are going to slow up just a little upon impact, self preservation will kick in. Now imgaine you are 6 foot 4 inches tall, weigh 260 pounds, can run 40 meters in in 4.5 seconds, and with pads on, now have no reason to stop. Greater weight + greater speed = bigger impact. And, that's why hockey is so damn tough.

You obviously have never watched a game of rugby then. Give it a go. And I'll give NFL a go.

jabumbo
10-30-2007, 08:25 AM
and plus the lack of skill involved makes it weak too.

so wait...

are you saying that just anyone has the skill to toss a ball on a dime 40 yards down the field while a half dozen guys almost twice their size are collapsing towards them? and that anyone could go full sprint down the field to catch that ball in stride with another guys hands up in his face?

sure, you can say this or that sport sucks for various reasons, but you can't honestly believe yourself when you say that something like that doesn't take any skill. i bet even the weakest of punters could mow your ass down if they wanted to.

Yeti
10-30-2007, 08:40 AM
It is obvious that most non-Americans do not understand the game and choose to dislike the sport. Oh, well. There are many reasons to love the game and I don't feel the need to defend those reasons. I don't know much about rugby, cricket, Aussie rules football and football (soccer--i know you all hate that term) but I can understand people's passion for those sports. Sport is about competition, exercise and escape. I have never understood the need to hate on a particular competitive sport.

America is funny sometimes. We play NBA, NFL, MLB and other sports abroad in the name of goodwill but in reality is all about the money. Most of the foreign cities and residents seem to feel like we are shoving our culture and sporting events down their throats. I am sure some enjoy watching and learning about new sports but others are totally turned off.

checkyourprez
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
so wait...

are you saying that just anyone has the skill to toss a ball on a dime 40 yards down the field while a half dozen guys almost twice their size are collapsing towards them? and that anyone could go full sprint down the field to catch that ball in stride with another guys hands up in his face?

sure, you can say this or that sport sucks for various reasons, but you can't honestly believe yourself when you say that something like that doesn't take any skill. i bet even the weakest of punters could mow your ass down if they wanted to.

i know throwing a ball on the dime and all that is hard. but lots of people can do it. some guys get dogged just because of their size, how many fluties are there in the history of the nfl? just because some guy hits the genetic lottery it makes him good at a sport. thats gay.

checkyourprez
10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, that appreciation you have comes from understanding the game.

If you had played/watched basketball all of your life you would be able to spot all the little things that pro b-ballers that are so impressive.

i watch basketball. i like it because it kind of is a lot like soccer in the sense you need to keep the ball moving, find the open man, run off the ball and all that. but your doing it with your hands. every body does things with their hands. its easier. and the same thing goes for my above comment about football. you hit the genetic lottery with basketball you are a better player. thats gay.

Loppfessor
10-30-2007, 11:53 PM
So by “hit the genetic lottery” I’m assuming you mean being born with certain physical attributes that help you to excel in a sport? You’re argument doesn’t hold a lot of water because that is true for ANY sport doofus. You think anyone becomes an Olympic swimmer, a soccer star, great tennis player, or NBA great with out some naturally born abilities?

checkyourprez
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
hah doofus. who am i, kramer?

ok buddy, go look at a picture of deigo maradonna(top 3 soccer players ever), then you go look at a picture of lebrone james. if you think what you just said holds weight after that well than you win.

checkyourprez
10-31-2007, 05:55 PM
i am saying you do not inherit the skills of maradona. where as shaq, lebron james ect. would not be in the NBA without their size (shaq has been playing basketball his whole life and cant make free throws to save his life, that is stupid). there are plenty of really well skilled basketball players who are not in the nba because of their size. and thats gay.

Bob
10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
what about muggsy bogues?

TurdBerglar
10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
and im sure there's plenty of good soccer players that aren't pros because they cannot run. so fucking what. having speed and stamina is no different than having size and strength. and speed and stamina is definitely an inherited ability.

if every one in pro sports were normal fucking dudes it would not be interesting at all. having a bunch of 5'8"/160lb normal schmucks would be nothing more than a pick up game at the Y.

and professional soccer players are just as much as freaks as NBA/NFL players. their freakish abilities and freakish physical strengths are just different.

lance armstrong isn't freakishly large does that make him normal?

any athlete that has made it to the pros is a freak of nature.

checkyourprez
10-31-2007, 06:26 PM
what about muggsy bogues?

yea the league is crawling with muggsy bogues's.

checkyourprez
10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
and im sure there's plenty of good soccer players that aren't pros because they cannot run. so fucking what. having speed and stamina is no different than having size and strength. and speed and stamina is definitely an inherited ability.

if every one in pro sports were normal fucking dudes it would not be interesting at all. having a bunch of 5'8"/160lb normal schmucks would be nothing more than a pick up game at the Y.

and professional soccer players are just as much as freaks as NBA/NFL players. their freakish abilities and freakish physical strengths are just different.

lance armstrong isn't freakishly large does that make him normal?

any athlete that has made it to the pros is a freak of nature.

speed is an inhrent abilitiy but it can be improved upon. stamina is not inherent, thats just hard work, if you think different you have not played sports before.

unless you plan on breaking your legs and stretching them out over long periods of time and continuing that process, if youre not tall at first your not in the nba.

TurdBerglar
10-31-2007, 06:41 PM
speed is an inhrent abilitiy but it can be improved upon. stamina is not inherent, thats just hard work, if you think different you have not played sports before.

unless you plan on breaking your legs and stretching them out over long periods of time and continuing that process, if youre not tall at first your not in the nba.

stamina and speed is definitely inherited. if it weren't inherited then everyone would have the ability to have the same level of stamina and speed. and of course even the average schmuck can work at successfully building their stamina. but there's still people out there that can build it further because they have been genetically gifted. you don't think labron james works hard to maintain his physic? he was to work at it just like any other pro athlete has to work at building their stamina. he can just build it further compared to the average joe just like how a pro soccer player can build his stamina further than the average joe.

the average joe does not become a pro athlete.

and if you don't have great stamina at first you're not a pro soccer player.

Loppfessor
11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
You tell him Turd..

Auton
11-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Europeans don't like americans

says you :rolleyes:

icy manipulator
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
also do you have to play college football first to get into the NFL? i cant imagine every player having a degree of some sort. are there any minor leagues that players come up thru?

icy manipulator
11-02-2007, 08:50 AM
You don't have to play college ball, but you have to be at least 19. Now that being said, the pros watch the colleges for the best talent, so if you want to play in the NFL, the best way to get noticed is by playing in college.

For the record, I think that rugby is badass, and that it is played by a bunch of badasses. Premier football too.

true that, if you come to australia, new zealand or south africa, say either john eales, jonah lomu or joost van der vesthaizen rocks and everyone will love you. or alternitavely say johnny wilkinson is a fag.

also, the draft that they have in nfl, is that only for college players?

icy manipulator
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
wicked, one day i will eventually learn how to play this game:D

mathcart
11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
The Houston Texans actually had a try out that was open to the public. I'll let you know if they do it again.(y)

Most of the people who show up for these open try outs an undrafted college players or arena league players- the average joe does not show up and make the team- the marky marky movie be dammed.

Knuckles
11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
A friend of mine in highschool was an exchange student from New Zealand. He was a big sucker (six foot seven, 240 pounds) and quite a good rugby player back home. The funny thing was he was afraid to play American football. I never understood it. :confused:

Gareth
11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AkR9D4W1g8A

checkyourprez
11-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Antonio Gates of the San Diego Chargers never player college football and he is the best tight end in the league. He did play college basketball however. (This is what I was talking about before though with how soccer is different. Antonio Gates, a freak of an athlete, did not play the sport in college and now is the best at his position. There is no way you find a soccer player out there who just took basically 4 years off and can claim to be the best at his position.)

And I think it was the Texan's could be another team, gave a tryout to Chris Gatlin (i believe thats his name, i could be wrong). He was a former Olympic sprinter. He was trying out for wide reciever. I dont know what happend with that though.