PDA

View Full Version : When was something universally praised in 'Other Music'?

Kid Presentable
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I remember this used to be the hype machine, and I could find out about all sorts of good shit on here, based on the strength of many credible opinions. Nowadays you all seem pretty nonplussed by new stuff. American Gangster wasn't so much universally praised as it was tolerated for being better than Kingdom Come (although he did well to make a good rap album).

So, use this as an opportunity to universally praise some shit, and to reminisce about the things that set this, the best forum on these boards, ablaze with joy.

paul jones
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Muddy Waters

mickill
12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know what you're rambling on about.

I think the consensus on Hell Hath No Fury was pretty much rap album of the year.

mickill
12-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Fishscale got the same love.

Kid Presentable
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Pain pills, man. I thought the praise for Hell Hath was a little understated. The rap people loved it. But then heaps of people tried to push that 'coke raps as a metaphor' thing, too. I remember College Dropout got a lot of raving on and on..

Kid Presentable
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Fishscale I guess. But it didn't seem like people were flipping for it. Probably because it was quite good but not amazing or something. Paul Jones do you mean the Redman album?

paul jones
12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Fishscale I guess. But it didn't seem like people were flipping for it. Probably because it was quite good but not amazing or something. Paul Jones do you mean the Redman album?

no,the king of the blues

Kid Presentable
12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
The colour blue?

paul jones
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
The colour blue?

yeah

Drederick Tatum
12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
this board and people in general seemed to love Songs for the Deaf.

Kid Presentable
12-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Excellent example, potatum.

Auton
12-05-2007, 02:18 AM
mickill is right on about fishscale and hell hath no fury. thread after thread of praise were heaped on both albums. deservedly so, may i add.

Kid Presentable
12-05-2007, 02:48 AM
They didn't generate big threads, did they? I can't remember if they did. And it was mostly limited to a few posters. I can't recall, though. (n)

Drederick Tatum
12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
everyone was pretty pumped when How the West Was Won came out.

Auton
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
They didn't generate big threads, did they? I can't remember if they did. And it was mostly limited to a few posters. I can't recall, though. (n)

they did. several 2-3 pagers per album. as a matter of fact it got laughable going on here every other day and being like "well look another fishscale/hell hath no fury thread- wwwwwwwhatasurprise" or whenever there was a "best of 2006" thread they would enevitably be brought up by half the people on here. serious.

mickill
12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
told ya

Jitters
12-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Fishscale and Hell Hath are the only ones in recent memory.

Kid Presentable
12-05-2007, 05:57 PM
You're all in cahoots. I see what you're trying to say, but it was still limited to about 6 people. bah.

mickill
12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Even enree erzweglle went out and bought Fishscale because of one of those threads. The influence was massive. Massive.

Lex Diamonds
12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Anyone who heard HHNF labelled it as the best hip-hop album of 2006. Apart from those morons that liked El-Producto. Man is that guy shit at rapping.

EN[i]GMA
12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I heard about this awesome hip hop record called Hell Hath No Fury by the Clipse.

Ya'll should peep it.

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Anyone who heard HHNF labelled it as the best hip-hop album of 2006. Apart from those morons that liked El-Producto. Man is that guy shit at rapping.

El-P dropped this year, though. And you were the only one here who couldn't dig it. That's not to say he is a great rapper, but he makes some interesting music.

DroppinScience
12-06-2007, 02:21 AM
I guess most artists discussed here have been divisive to some extent.

There only feels like there's a handful that this board has been united (or at least not actively bashing) about. One of them certainly seems to be The Clash. No matter what musical background is represented here.

Rage Against the Machine in general seems to have a consensus of being liked around these parts, methinks. QOTSA ("Songs for the Deaf" at least, later stuff is divisive) gets love. I'm not sure if I recall people particularly slagging on Bruce Springsteen or Led Zeppelin.

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 02:26 AM
The Clash and Zep, for sure. I guess. Rage I don't really care for anymore, so I'd be off the boat on that. Songs for The Deaf was big on here in 2002-03, if I remember.

Drederick Tatum
12-06-2007, 02:51 AM
yeah I left RATM a long time ago. probably when I realised that I wasn't an angsty enough teen.

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 03:02 AM
RATM is kinda like Weird Science. You built a smart chick, but you have to put whacking great melons on her for anybody to pay attention. And then all anybody is interested in is the whacking great melons. They forget that she's actually trying to say something.

DroppinScience
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Okay, maybe if I travelled back in time to '02 or something was when everyone seemed to be big on Rage.

abcdefz
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I think all two of us who listen to him agree that Ricardo Villalobos makes great stuff.

But, yeah. I think The Clash is probably a good call for a band that's closest to being universally loved here.

Drederick Tatum
12-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't say I hate the Clash, but I think Rock the Casbah was their best song.

Auton
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
yeah, i've never been big on the clash.

DroppinScience
12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
NOW The Clash hataz come out of the woodwork! Way to threaten our BBMB unity. :rolleyes:

Auton
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
what? i think the clash are good, i just don't think they're totally awesome and amazing.

yeahwho
12-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I give the Clash some love but I have to agree, a lot of their catalog has turds in it. When they were on it was great, like "London Calling".

I would rather listen to the Ramones who are equally loved and hated here. Thew Ramones were first and kept political correctness at a distance and idiocy up front. Making for a completely enjoyable listening experience. Gabba Gabba Hey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabba_Gabba_Hey)

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Ramones are great and all, but it gets hella boring all the time. I always smile when I hear one of their songs, though.

yeahwho
12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Ramones are great and all, but it gets hella boring all the time. I always smile when I hear one of their songs, though.
Agreed, yet between the two if I was to give up one it would be the Clash, I would rather hear the random "Teenage Lobotomy" than say "Should I Stay or Should I go".

mickill
12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
what? i think the clash are good, i just don't think they're totally awesome and amazing.
They kinda are/were, though.

afronaut
12-06-2007, 08:20 PM
when the fuck was the last time there was a large discussion about the clash on this board? i must have missed out on all the clash threads. were everyone on this board was just raving about the clash. i must have missed those.

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
The sheer volume of people who don't listen to either The Clash or Ramones might not make them a board-wide phenomena. I'd like to assume most people dig either, though.

Drederick Tatum
12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
The Ramones weren't amazing, but they were awesome. The Clash, too much preach, not enough rock.

Documad
12-06-2007, 10:51 PM

True. I've never been a big Ramones fan but I turn up the ipod when one of their songs comes on.

This used to be a really solid forum, that's for sure. All my favorite BBMBers are from here. <3

Of course everyone loves the Clash! No silly talk!

I never loved RATM but I tried to years ago.

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
RATM is coming to Australia, and it's all anybody can talk about. I bet I get a BDO ticket for my birthday and go and see them anyway. harumph

Documad
12-06-2007, 11:10 PM
I thought about seeing RATM at an outdoor venue in the midwest but the timing didn't work out. I'm sure they would still be fun to see live. I saw some really shitty bands at BDO.

Bob
12-06-2007, 11:23 PM
weren't the fishscale threads mostly hype? i remember them being pretty huge before the album actually leaked/came out, i don't remember quite so much praise being heaped upon it after people actually listened to it

all i know for sure is that i read all the threads before it came out, thinking "oh boy this is going to be the jesus of music" and then actually listening to it and sort of forgetting about it, i dunno

Kid Presentable
12-06-2007, 11:41 PM
YES!

DroppinScience
12-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Though we can't really agree on when the BBMB has universally loved something, I'll add another artist. Johnny Cash. For that one, it feels nobody can say anything ill about him. And they shouldn't try, either.

DroppinScience
12-07-2007, 12:41 AM
when the fuck was the last time there was a large discussion about the clash on this board? i must have missed out on all the clash threads. were everyone on this board was just raving about the clash. i must have missed those.

My barometer isn't so much when there's threads that reach pages and pages of acclaim for a band, it's when I don't really hear ANYONE say anything bad about an artist. If someone were to make a Green Day thread here (which has been common in the past), it might reach a few pages, but the opinions aren't all uniform. Some will say they loved the band (but even then most seem to limit what years they liked their music), while others will say they're the spawn of Satan.

Same thing with The Doors or Pink Floyd. These bands have their ardent admirers on this board, but there are also a fair share of detractors, and then we'll start arguing over their merits (or lack thereof).

If I don't hear a lot of bashing on one particular band, I assume the board is more or less okay with them (unless, of course they NEVER heard of them).

Auton
12-07-2007, 02:19 AM
weren't the fishscale threads mostly hype? i remember them being pretty huge before the album actually leaked/came out, i don't remember quite so much praise being heaped upon it after people actually listened to it

all i know for sure is that i read all the threads before it came out, thinking "oh boy this is going to be the jesus of music" and then actually listening to it and sort of forgetting about it, i dunno

no, no, and no, bob! people looved that shit. it took forever for people to stop talking about it, and they only stopped because 'more fish' came out. it still gets mentioned pretty frequently, and almost always in an extremely positive light. the only negative comments were from king of rock (who said TI's 'king' was better- HA!), and i think rob money. and lol and mickill weren't going completely apeshit about it, but they thought it was at least decent if i remember correctly.

YES!

QUIET, YOU. YOU'RE SO WRONG.

Auton
12-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Though we can't really agree on when the BBMB has universally loved something, I'll add another artist. Johnny Cash. For that one, it feels nobody can say anything ill about him. And they shouldn't try, either.

agreed on both counts.

Tzar
12-07-2007, 02:38 AM
i know one thing that is universally un-praised on this board....

*whistles Enter Sandman*

balohna
12-07-2007, 04:03 AM
The Ramones can't even touch The Clash. It's not even close, seriously. The Clash were better in just about every way. Even when you compare them on a strictly punk-rock scale. The Ramones came first and were a great influence on The Clash, but the music and lyrics that The Clash put on just their first album blow The Ramones out of the water.

I can see why The Ramones would be considered superior by some people. If you're wanting to hear fast and fun music with an edge to it, they're the way to go. Their biggest problem was recording the same song over and over again. That and "Zip Zap Rap."

And if you think of The Clash and think of Should I Stay or Should I Go you really need to listen to more. Janie Jones, London's Burning, Protex Blue, White Man in Hammersmith Palais, Complete Control, Safe European Home, Tommy Gun, Stay Free, Capital Radio, London Calling, Rudie Can't Fail, Clampdown, Guns of Brixton, Bankrobber, The Magnificent Seven, One More Time, Up in Heaven, The Call Up, Washington Bullets, Know Your Rights, Straight to Hell, Inoculated City. Listen to any of those. They will potentially change your mind.

Documad
12-07-2007, 08:51 AM
i know one thing that is universally un-praised on this board....

*whistles Enter Sandman*
I gotta say that if I heard that on the radio I'd turn it up and I enjoyed seeing the video on MTV back in the day. But then I was never a die hard old school Metallica fan. I know it's painful for you faithful types. I have good friends in your camp.

No one can hate Neil Young. You might not like the sound of his voice or his concept albums, but his integrity makes him untouchable in a way that the Rolling Stones are not.

I have a friend who criticized Neil when he appeared onstage at the Vote For Change concert. I will admit that I've thought less of her ever since.

b-grrrlie
12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
So now you're gonna hate me, cause I really really really don't like Neil Young! The only time I've enjoyed a couple of his songs when someone else has covered them.
I also think that Clash were way more superior than the Ramones. They had much more diversity in their production, and most of the styles they played were great. Of course when they kicked Mick Jones out they turned crap....
I do like the Ramones, a lot tho, but they were always more a cartoon band and I couldn't even listen to the whole of Anthology at one go, and Johnny was actually a real asshole. We even named our cat Dee Dee back in '79.

yeahwho
12-07-2007, 03:17 PM
“We decided to start our own group because we were bored with everything we heard, ... Everything was 10th-generation Led Zeppelin ... overproduced, or just junk. We missed music like it used to be.” Joey Ramone

The thing is if you enjoy Phil Spector, Beach Boys and general happy lunacy the Ramones have the keys to that avenue. Joey never pretended to be anything other than a big fan of music. They did what they wanted to do, being dumber than the audience is an incredibly honorable and difficult achievement. Especially with me as a fan.

Love those guys.

DroppinScience
12-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I love Ramones with all my heart, but I'm sorry, The Clash are always miles ahead of the pack. It's not the Ramones' fault or anything. It's just The Clash being The Clash, man.

yeahwho
12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I love Ramones with all my heart, but I'm sorry, The Clash are always miles ahead of the pack. It's not the Ramones' fault or anything. It's just The Clash being The Clash, man.

I have no brain cells. The Clash have way too many 3 minute plus songs, it's not a fucking opera I have other things to do.

I also am guilty of dragging down Paul Simon and Talking Heads threads. Pink Floyd past Wish you Were Here and most of Led Zeppelin after Houses of the Holy.

Documad
12-08-2007, 12:18 AM
So now you're gonna hate me, cause I really really really don't like Neil Young! The only time I've enjoyed a couple of his songs when someone else has covered them.
I also think that Clash were way more superior than the Ramones. They had much more diversity in their production, and most of the styles they played were great. Of course when they kicked Mick Jones out they turned crap....
I do like the Ramones, a lot tho, but they were always more a cartoon band and I couldn't even listen to the whole of Anthology at one go, and Johnny was actually a real asshole. We even named our cat Dee Dee back in '79.

I'm going to let the Neil Young thing go because you're European, and also because I agree with everything else that you said. I have to admit that my dislike for Johnny as a person has affected how I feel about the Ramones--not entirely, but it's there.

Now, I am going to try and forget that Yeahwho mentioned the Talking Heads. I'd also like to point out that the other day I heard Hocus Pocus and thought of him because he recommended it for my power pop playlist. :p

afronaut
12-08-2007, 05:26 PM
My barometer isn't so much when there's threads that reach pages and pages of acclaim for a band, it's when I don't really hear ANYONE say anything bad about an artist. If someone were to make a Green Day thread here (which has been common in the past), it might reach a few pages, but the opinions aren't all uniform. Some will say they loved the band (but even then most seem to limit what years they liked their music), while others will say they're the spawn of Satan.

Same thing with The Doors or Pink Floyd. These bands have their ardent admirers on this board, but there are also a fair share of detractors, and then we'll start arguing over their merits (or lack thereof).

If I don't hear a lot of bashing on one particular band, I assume the board is more or less okay with them (unless, of course they NEVER heard of them).
Ok, but see now, with this logic, it is safe to assume everyone on this forum loves Lawrence Welk.

My point not being that the Clash are not great, but that the only REAL evidence of everyone on this forum loving the Clash is that almost all people with semi-decent musical taste love the Clash. Why not say the Beatles? Or the Stones? The Pixies? Or maybe Stravinsky? I hear he's quite renowned as well. You can just plug in any widely-respected band for the Clash, and come to the same conclusion about that band.

When was the last time something specifically made this board go apeshit with approval? When was something universally praised here, not "when was something universally not talked shit about."

I'm sorry. I'm just trying to rain on DroppinSoaps parade again. You know you're my sworn enemy.

The Notorious LOL
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE BEATSIE BOYS!? :rolleyes: ;)

Kid Presentable
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
06 was a bit of a suck year for rap albums aside from those obvious ones. Even then, HHNF is great, but not that great. Sometimes I prefer Lord Willin'. I remember liking that Juggaknots album a little more than Fishscale, too.

Kid Presentable
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM

I know this is just a joke, but it's probably a good thing for the fanbase that they aren't even universally praised on their own messageboard.

DroppinScience
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Put a quarter in your ass cuz you played yourself. :cool:

DroppinScience
12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm sorry. I'm just trying to rain on DroppinSoaps parade again. You know you're my sworn enemy.

For being a sworn enemy, you've been mighty mighty soft. I think you're starting to dig me, and it hurts you.

Anyways, I see where you're getting at, but I'm stickin' to my standard.

afronaut
12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah well you're a fag.

Jitters
12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I know this is just a joke, but it's probably a good thing for the fanbase that they aren't even universally praised on their own messageboard.

Mix-Up did suck though :)

Lex Diamonds
12-10-2007, 08:42 AM
06 was a bit of a suck year for rap albums aside from those obvious ones. Even then, HHNF is great, but not that great. Sometimes I prefer Lord Willin'. I remember liking that Juggaknots album a little more than Fishscale, too.
I hear you about the Lord Willin' thing, although I do think HHNF is slightly more consistent. '06 was a better year for rap than this year though:

4:21
Kingdom Come
Hip-Hop Is Dead
Food & Liquor
Jesus Price Superstar (officially dropped in Jan '07)
Laugh Now, Cry Later
The Blue Carpet Treatment

checkyourprez
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
i think what it comes down to is just the sad state of music today. the complete commercialization of the music industry.

think back in past decades. the beatles, led zepplin, hendrix, nirvana ect. all of these acts whatever genre they fit in are all pop music. as in popular music. they all happen to be good music as well. and for the most part most of their albums were all universally praised.

today more good music has "gone underground" for lack of a better word. im not talking about backpacking type music (although some is good), im just saying in general for the most part an artist in the mainstream today must conform to a certain sound if they want to maintain their lofty status. popular music today is shitty emo bands, britney spears esc shit and american idol types. very few artists have the clout to actually do what they want and make it sound good. artists have sacrafied the quality of music for money.

in the mid 90s it seems every week multiple dope rap albums were coming out. now your lucky to find 10 a year, and out of the ten how many are "mainstream". a jay z album (and he aint really all that and the bag of potatoe chips). most of the other stuff is not heard by the majority of the public. so if no one hears it how can it really be critically accliamed?

my list for top rap albums of the year (in no order)...

dj muggs v. sick jacken
mf grimm-gingerbread man
percee p-perserverance
jay z-american gangster
beastie boys-mix up(not rap but still)
wu tang-8D
ghostface-BDR
styles p-sgeg
statik selektah-spell my name right
kanye-graduation
NYGz-welcome to g'dom
marco polo-port authority

honarable mention-pe, pharoe monch, krs1

i mean really out of those how many do the mainstream know? how can it be universally praised if most people dont even know it exists?

Randetica
12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
who the fuck cares? ok you do but i dont

stop crying over nothing, youre all my sworn enemies from now on