PDA

View Full Version : who can beat john mccain?

b i o n i c
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
this seems to be the question. i dont really see any of the other republicans being the nominee. ive kind of liked him personally, but he seems like the establishment's candidate.

out of the dems, i like edwards the best. then obama, then hillary.

i'm just not sure edwards or obama would beat mccain.

did anyone notice obama fold up in south carolina after that little gang up by hillary and edwards over his voting record? (that he's voted present rather than yes or no). he completely lost his mojo after that, he even looked mad and defeated - his face and body language.

if obama cant stand up to that, he's toast against mccain. i feel like, though i like him the most, edwards' working for the poor isnt gonna ring for a lot of democrats who dont care about poverty and most republicans.

who will beat john mccain? this is THE question.

abcdefz
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Presley.

saz
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
John Edwards 52.0
John McCain 44.0
Margin 8.0

the (http://www.presidentelectionpolls.com/2008/articles/cnn-national-matchups-john-edwards-most-electable-121207001.html) links (http://www.presidentelectionpolls.com/2008/articles/john-edwards-is-the-most-electable-democrat.html)

only john edwards can beat mccain (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-mudcat-saunders/only-john-edwards-can-bea_b_82734.html)

DroppinScience
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
You think McCain can get the nod? It's so tough to say with each primary for the GOP.

But I'm SO happy that Thompson dropped out. HAHAH! (y)

Bob
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
i could take him

Waus
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Ugh.

McCain said he'd spend another 100 years in Iraq if he had it his way.

Doesn't know shit about economics.

I can't stand him.

RobMoney$
01-23-2008, 08:52 PM
McCain is the only republican candidate who seems like he's an actual human being.

Hillary is pwning Obama on a daily basis, the Clinton machine seems too politically saavy for the newcomer.

Documad
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
i could take him

In your dreams!

I admire McCain for his service to the country and for some other things that he tried to do, but now, his record of pandering to the worst element of his party because he's just that desperate to be president makes me sick. He has momentum, but it's early days in the republican race. I'm still praying that Romney or Huckabee gets it. I wish Guiliani would get stronger for a while (hopefully in FL) so that he can hurt McCain for a while.

In the end, my gut is that the party will go with McCain because they're terrified of Huckabee as their candidate. But I'm still praying!

ToucanSpam
01-23-2008, 11:30 PM
McCain is the best candidate for the Republicans. Huckabee is too polarized and he would much better serve as a VP candidate along with McCain at the Rep's 1-2 punch. Ron Paul is a white supremicist who is popular only with the militant aethiests and the white supremicist evangelicals, and Romney...hmm, Romney will finish second distantly.

The BEST shot the Reps have is a McCain/Huckabee combo platter.

Anyone think Ron Paul will be the indy candidate this election? If so, he might take some votes away from the McCain/Huckster team.

QueenAdrock
01-24-2008, 12:36 AM
McCain is the best candidate for the Republicans.

Then that's pretty sad for them, because he's been quite the rubber stamp for this war and and the president's latest US troop surge which has been "working."

Also, he doesn't know shit about HIV prevention. (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-stumbles-on-hiv-prevention/) Actually, that's not true. I'm sure he does, he just doesn't have the balls to tell his supporters that their ideas of abstinence-only education won't prevent STDs as well as condoms do.

yeahwho
01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
i'm just not sure edwards or obama would beat mccain.

did anyone notice obama fold up in south carolina after that little gang up by hillary and edwards over his voting record? (that he's voted present rather than yes or no). he completely lost his mojo after that, he even looked mad and defeated - his face and body language.

who will beat john mccain? this is THE question.

I think it is premature to say Barack Obama is the man who's folding up. Subtle things such as his wincing and body language during the SC debates are being misconstrued, he's pissed off at Hillary because now he is beginning to recognize she does not keep her word. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVuMYKs8iJs&feature=user) She lies, on a regular basis.

As far as folding up, here is how that is playing out, this website (http://factcheck.barackobama.com/) is up and actually the tide of endorsements for Obama are steadily streaming in from some of the more respected and politically savvy people living in the USA. I really am perplexed how anyone can think Hillary is the one to go after McCain. It's surreal if you believe one of the longest hate affairs in our political lifetimes is all of a sudden going to stop. It's a fuse waiting to be lit.

abcdefz
01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Wait until California.

We got a big number of undeclared people (raises hand) who get to vote in the Democratic primary, and I don't think we're being properly
factored into the polls.

My ballot's already been mailed. (y)

Waus
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I can't believe this shit. I've never voted Democrat before (not on principle, I just haven't) but I think I might this year. I like Ron Paul a lot, but I just can't see myself really getting behind any of the other Rep. candidates.

ToucanSpam
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Then that's pretty sad for them, because he's been quite the rubber stamp for this war and and the president's latest US troop surge which has been "working."

Also, he doesn't know shit about HIV prevention. (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/mccain-stumbles-on-hiv-prevention/) Actually, that's not true. I'm sure he does, he just doesn't have the balls to tell his supporters that their ideas of abstinence-only education won't prevent STDs as well as condoms do.

I definately agree, it is sad that he's their best shot.

Reality:

Huckabee=no gun control, no abortion, no civil unions/gay marriage
Ron Paul=internet popularity, which never pans out

...did anyone else hear Huckabee is out of money, as is Guliani? Rudy campaigned HARDCORE in Florida and he's down to 13% or something, and he's out of munnies.

RobMoney$
01-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Huckabee is the Preacher, right? NO THANKS.
I don't need another religious fanatic trying to dictate to me what morals I should live my life by.

Romney has already been exposed in the debates that he has absolutely no ability to think on his feet. He just keeps repeating the same campaign mottos, regardless of the question at hand. We're trying to get rid of one of those now, don't want another. Also, his stance on illegal immigration and his economical plan are absolutely laughable. Elect him and we'll all be wearing a National ID card in 2 years. He also thinks we should round up and deport every illegal immigrant in the US. What's next, the jews and gays?

Waus
01-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Huckabee is the Preacher, right? NO THANKS.
I don't need another religious fanatic trying to dictate to me what morals I should live my life by.

Romney has already been exposed in the debates that he has absolutely no ability to think on his feet. He just keeps repeating the same campaign mottos, regardless of the question at hand. We're trying to get rid of one of those now, don't want another. Also, his stance on illegal immigration and his economical plan are absolutely laughable. Elect him and we'll all be wearing a National ID card in 2 years. He also thinks we should round up and deport every illegal immigrant in the US. What's next, the jews and gays?

Yeah. I'm a Christian, and I still wouldn't want Huckabee in office. I believe in the separation of church and state - and I don't think he'd keep his beliefs personal enough...too much liberal backlash.

Romney is a creep - he's deferred on every meaningful question unless (as Robmoney said) he already had a prepared motto to answer it. Not to mention his campaign is basically funded by his own fortune since he can't get enough raised outside of it - it's like Mr. Burns running for president.

His policy on immigration does seem extreme, but rather than ignore illegal immigrants or deport them I'd rather just find some way of grandfathering in the ones that are here and inducting them into the taxes that the rest of us have to pay.

I could totally see Romney going for the National ID. Ugh.

icy manipulator
01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
people will actually vote for john mccain? are you fucking kidding? the guy is a fuckin joke.

wrongwayandugg
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I wish Guiliani would get stronger for a while (hopefully in FL) so that he can hurt McCain for a while.
I'm sure it will happen. The media has geared us up for it.

In the end, my gut is that the party will go with McCain because they're terrified of Huckabee as their candidate. But I'm still praying! Me too. We all have to pray. There are so many sinners who need Huck's guidance; Mr. Threat 2008.

abcdefz
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
people will actually vote for john mccain? are you fucking kidding? the guy is a fuckin joke.

If it comes down to McCain vs. Clinton, you bet your ass I would.

yeahwho
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by icy manipulator View Post

If it comes down to McCain vs. Clinton, you bet your ass I would.

And so it goes.....a lot is at stake, Hillary is a known figure on the planet earth for many things, unfortunately the majority of what she is known for has been twisted and manipulated for decades on right wing talk radio.

Not that I'm saying this is anyones rationale for not voting for Hillary, others, myself included, have huge reservations about her known qualities.

abcdefz
01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah. Uh -- I don't even listen to right wing radio or watch Fox News or any of that, thankyouverymuch.

MC Moot
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
An NVA interrogator?

NoFenders
01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
It will be McCain and Clinton in the end. And McCain will win. jmo

I'm considering a vote for Ron Paul, but leaning towards McCain.

Thompson is the shit. I could listen to that guy all day. Hard Core Conservative. I like that. Don't shoot me!!!

:cool:

saz
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah. Uh -- I don't even listen to right wing radio or watch Fox News or any of that, thankyouverymuch.

what about the green party, or the possibility of bloomberg? i'd likely back one of those options, if it came down to hillary corporate clinton or john in-iraq-for-one-hundred-years-sell-out-to-christian-right mccain.

icy manipulator
01-26-2008, 05:18 AM
he is a fucking idiot. not only does he think putin is the president of germany, he thinks the cold war is still going on. if he realistically stands a chance of winning the next election then american politics is a fuckin joke.

roosta
01-26-2008, 06:00 AM
McCain is the only republican candidate who seems like he's an actual human being.

Yeah, as a Euro watching all this, that would be my feeling. Of all the republicans he seems the most palatable, even if he is/was pro-Iraq War.

NoFenders
01-26-2008, 12:37 PM
he is a fucking idiot. not only does he think putin is the president of germany, he thinks the cold war is still going on. if he realistically stands a chance of winning the next election then american politics is a fuckin joke.

I don't know who you're talking about, but if whoever he is wins or looses, politics will remain a joke, as usual.

DroppinScience
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Thompson is the shit. I could listen to that guy all day. Hard Core Conservative. I like that. Don't shoot me!!!

Hate to break it to you, but Thompson is out of the race.

RobMoney$
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Remember Dan Quayle? The guy couldn't spell "potato".

American Poloticians have been a joke for a long time, man.

Documad
01-26-2008, 06:05 PM
People!

We need to get to pray for Romney or Huckabee to get the nomination. I mean it! That's the best hope for the future because it guarantees a democrat will be in the white house for at least four years. I was thinking about caucusing as a republican again this year so that I could support one of them, but I pledged to caucus for a democrat in the US senate race. Damn!

marsdaddy
01-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Wait until California.California hasn't mattered for a long time. We're the largest state with the most resources and we are basically exploited by the rest of the nation. We're close to or last in every major measurement of per capita spending, yet we pay the taxes like no other state. It's time for a California succession. I'm only half joking. But seriously, the coasts have little say in the elections.

I can't believe anyone thinks McCain is human. He's a classic politician, pandering to the wind. His only redeeming quality is he survived as a POW. Clinton also panders. And Obama wasn't cowering, but was showing his distaste for politics, which while admirable, completely exposes him as the wrong candidate. And this might be cynical, but I still don't see the good ol' US of A electing a black man or a woman president. :(

Once again, I will cast (aside?!) my vote for whoever the Dems nominate. But, I do think Edwards is the best viable candidate -- I really like Gavel, but he has ZERO chance.

And politics have been a joke for a long time -- even before Quayle. But Bush the Younger has taken the hilarity to new dangerous depths. He's not nearly as dumb as he's made out to be, but probably has less control than Reagan did in the end.

saz
01-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Once Again, Polls show that John Edwards is the Most Electable - Latest Ohio & Florida Polls

Once Again, Polls show that John Edwards is the Most Electable Democrat in the Key Match up States of Ohio and Florida.. Check out the Results from January's Public Policy Polling Head to Head Matchups.

Edwards Would Be Strongest Candidate in Florida, Ohio

Poll Summary: PPP's newest survey shows that John Edwards would be the strongest candidate for President in the key general election battleground states of Ohio and Florida.

OHIO HEAD TO HEAD POLL

Edwards 47
McCain 40

Clinton 42
McCain 46

Obama 42
McCain 45

"These numbers show that John Edwards remains the surest bet for Democrats to regain the White House," said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. "Voters in states key to choosing the Democratic nominee who are concerned about electability should probably be thinking about giving their votes to Edwards."

link (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_010105National.pdf)

DroppinScience
01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
People!

We need to get to pray for Romney or Huckabee to get the nomination. I mean it! That's the best hope for the future because it guarantees a democrat will be in the white house for at least four years. I was thinking about caucusing as a republican again this year so that I could support one of them, but I pledged to caucus for a democrat in the US senate race. Damn!

I agree. Though I do like Huckabee personally, he'd be fairly easy to beat. Romney just might be easier, because he seems more like a hologram than an actual person.

McCain would have enough support of Independents and just enough Republicans and just enough Democrats to (potentially) squeak by.

I almost hope Giuliani will win Florida, but not for the reason that Giuliani himself is hoping for: if he takes it, he'll further fragment the party, making it less likely to secure a nomination in time for the RNC. It most certainly wouldn't be a domino theory because he's been practically invisible for every other Republican primary thus far.

b i o n i c
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
im really loving that mitt romney is winning some states. i've also thought of registering republican to vote agains 'strong' candidates in primaries. there should be a movement for this.

after the kennedy endorsement, i think obama's got it in the bag.

abcdefz
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
And politics have been a joke for a long time -- even before Quayle.

...Garfield?

NoFenders
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Hate to break it to you, but Thompson is out of the race.

Nothing broken, I knew that, and I still love listneing to the guy. :cool:

NoFenders
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
im really loving that mitt romney is winning some states. i've also thought of registering republican to vote agains 'strong' candidates in primaries. there should be a movement for this.

after the kennedy endorsement, i think obama's got it in the bag.

It's funny, how Barack is compared to a Kenenedy, and now gets a "endorsement" from a Kennendy. And which Kennedy is it??? It's not one of the guys who really mattered (since they're dead), it's Teddy. Saying he's got it in the bag because of Teddy Kennedy is a little off imo, and I hope the public can see what a joke that truely is. What the hell has Teddy done to even make us care??? This is a really warped time in politics. It's a shame that the media can make you think this a great time for Barack. In reality, it's about as good as getting a nod from his partner Rezco.

b i o n i c
01-29-2008, 05:19 PM
im not saying i agree or disagree, but it all makes perfect sense and its probably the way its going to play out. calling ted kennedy irrelevant and right before that saying you love listening to fred thompson, come on. most people arent as well informed as you are and will probably go with the flow. its probably better for republicans that people are generally that way, they dont dig too deeply and go on impressions. thats what made someone like fred thompson at all popular in the first place.th

NoFenders
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Point well taken. :cool:

checkyourprez
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
It's funny, how Barack is compared to a Kenenedy, and now gets a "endorsement" from a Kennendy. And which Kennedy is it??? It's not one of the guys who really mattered (since they're dead), it's Teddy. Saying he's got it in the bag because of Teddy Kennedy is a little off imo, and I hope the public can see what a joke that truely is. What the hell has Teddy done to even make us care??? This is a really warped time in politics. It's a shame that the media can make you think this a great time for Barack. In reality, it's about as good as getting a nod from his partner Rezco.

hes the longest tenured legislator in the country. any party.

hes the brother of the last president that was looked at with great hope and admiration (draws strong connection to obama).

like it or not he still holds a lot of weight in the democratic party and with democratic voters.

RobMoney$
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I can't believe anyone thinks McCain is human.

I guess it's just me,...

oh, and the majority of voting republicans at this point in the primaries.

RobMoney$
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Someone please tell me that isn't a Black Muslim with the bow-tie behind Obama in this video.

http://my.barackobama.com/SCvictoryspeech

saz
01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Scarborough: McCain platform is less jobs and more wars

During the coverage of this evening’s Florida primary results, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough discussed the impact of John McCain’s victory with Pat Buchanan. The Republican establishment will rally around McCain and say “he’s the guy,” Buchanan said, but he cautioned that McCain’s vision for America was foreboding.

“What does he say? The jobs are never coming back, the illegals are never going home, but we’re gonna have a lot more wars,” Buchanan said of McCain. Scarborough remarked that McCain’s “inviting” presidential platform for the fall consists of “less jobs and more wars”:

BUCHANAN: Here’s a guy, basically, what does he say? The jobs are never coming back, the illegals are never going home, but we’re gonna have a lot more wars.

SCARBOROUGH: We’re gonna start a lot of wars! He has promised, for the record Keith, John McCain’s platform — and it certainly looks inviting for the fall — he has promised less jobs and more wars. Now that’s something we can all rally behind.

less jobs, more wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bndmOt1cm34)

While campaigning in Michigan earlier this month, McCain said some Michigan industries cannot be resurrected. “I’ve got to give you some straight talk: Some of the jobs that have left the state of Michigan are not coming back,” he said.

And just this weekend, McCain told a crowd of supporters, “There’s going to be other wars. … I’m sorry to tell you, there’s going to be other wars. We will never surrender but there will be other wars.”

abcdefz
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I think if it came down to Obama and McCain, Obama would win.

Clinton and McCain... probably McCain. But I really don't want to see those two thrown up as our choices.

Documad
01-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Scarborough: McCain platform is less jobs and more wars

During the coverage of this evening’s Florida primary results, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough discussed the impact of John McCain’s victory with Pat Buchanan. The Republican establishment will rally around McCain and say “he’s the guy,” Buchanan said, but he cautioned that McCain’s vision for America was foreboding.

“What does he say? The jobs are never coming back, the illegals are never going home, but we’re gonna have a lot more wars,” Buchanan said of McCain. Scarborough remarked that McCain’s “inviting” presidential platform for the fall consists of “less jobs and more wars”:

BUCHANAN: Here’s a guy, basically, what does he say? The jobs are never coming back, the illegals are never going home, but we’re gonna have a lot more wars.

SCARBOROUGH: We’re gonna start a lot of wars! He has promised, for the record Keith, John McCain’s platform — and it certainly looks inviting for the fall — he has promised less jobs and more wars. Now that’s something we can all rally behind.

less jobs, more wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bndmOt1cm34)

While campaigning in Michigan earlier this month, McCain said some Michigan industries cannot be resurrected. “I’ve got to give you some straight talk: Some of the jobs that have left the state of Michigan are not coming back,” he said.

And just this weekend, McCain told a crowd of supporters, “There’s going to be other wars. … I’m sorry to tell you, there’s going to be other wars. We will never surrender but there will be other wars.”

I don't usually care for those MSNBC guys, but Scarborough made me laugh last night.