PDA

View Full Version : Odelay Deluxe release for Jan 29

Waus
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I think NLOL called it the last good Beck release.

Whatever the case, it's getting deluxed with some unreleased tracks and a bunch of b-sides and remixes. The cover art looks pretty retarded to me.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47730-becks-iodelayi-given-deluxe-reissue-treatment

abcdefz
01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah. Not crazy about the cover art, but that's interesting. I'm kinda iffy about the bonus disc content, though. I think I'd rather hear
demos than remixes, but then, you never know.

Waus
01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah. Not crazy about the cover art, but that's interesting. I'm kinda iffy about the bonus disc content, though. I think I'd rather hear
demos than remixes, but then, you never know.

Agreed. Especially since pretty much all those tracks are available elsewhere on singles, collections etc.

roosta
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
i like the cover, the idea that its just an old copy of Odelay that's been drawn on.

The Information was good.

easy 3
01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I think NLOL called it the last good Beck release.

:eek::confused:

That's nuts! - Personally I can't find anything that Beck's released that I dislike, but even from a completely objective point of view I'd find it hard to knock Mutations, Sea Change and the Information.

Hell, I've been playing the information to death for about 15 months now and I still really enjoy it.

Please excuse my ignorance - who's NLOL?:(

abcdefz
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Notorious LOL. His opinion isn't quite as worthless as adam f's, but close.

easy 3
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
(y) Thanks - I don't feel so ign'ant now

abcdefz
01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Personally, I like Mutations an awful lot. (y)

easy 3
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry, getting back to the point -

I agree about the bonus tracks, Beck is the kind of artist that has a bit of a cult following and anyone that's really into him will probably have or have heard the vast majority of those remixes.

I'm into remixes and enjoyed the Guero/Guerolito one's more than a lot of the critics did, but they were all new remixes.

If they released it on vinyl however I wouldn't give a shit what anyone else thought because I'd be happy as hell.

easy 3
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Ah fuck it!

It makes sense to re-release Odelay because everyone should have a copy.

I just want some new Beck material.

And a world tour.

Please?

Auton
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
GOD DAMN IT.

i do NOT have the money to spend on this. fuck. i really want it, silly artwork and all (though, i don't mind it- and most people who are going to throw down cash for this most likely own the original album/artwork anyway, right?)

ps. midnite vultures = still my favorite beck album, followed my mutations and then odelay. the information still sounds like bland, transparent sludge to me.

abcdefz
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Do you have any used music stores around?

You could just wait. I'm sure it'll be in print for a long time.

roosta
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
GOD DAMN IT.

i do NOT have the money to spend on this. fuck. i really want it, silly artwork and all (though, i don't mind it- and most people who are going to throw down cash for this most likely own the original album/artwork anyway, right?)

ps. midnite vultures = still my favorite beck album, followed my mutations and then odelay. the information still sounds like bland, transparent sludge to me.

yeah, It used to annoy me when re-issues/special editions had different artwork, but I guess your right, if you're gonna be buying this, you probably have the original.

at least with this one its a clever play on the original.

Kid Presentable
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I looooved Odelay when I was 16, so I might be interested in getting it again. I like Sea Change, and still really dig Mellow Gold. And Guero isn't that bad if you don't pay close attention to it. I haven't bothered with Mutations. What's it like?

Caribou
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I love Odelay and it means quite a bit to me, as it was one of the first 'Alternative' albums I heard when I was 11, and it got me to explore all kinds of music and it formed my musical tastes.

Buuuut as I'm a poor almost-student now I won't be buying the Deluxe thingie, but probably get the demos/remixes off the int0rwebz. I have the original album anyway, so it would be a waste of money.

Kid Presentable
01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah I sold my copy. Advice to younger folk: If you're ever tempted to sell your music DON'T

Drederick Tatum
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
it's good, but I don't think I want to listen to Odelay ever again.

nypb
01-24-2008, 09:52 PM

I like them all and I don't mind listening to Odelay but I'm sure as shit not buying another copy!

Documad
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM

I felt that way for a long time, but I actually listened to it and Mellow Gold in December.

I used to really like Beck but I'm pretty hostile to him now. It's not completely rational. I just saw a couple too many bad live shows in a row.

MC Moot
01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Becks music is great his art is consistently horrible...(n)

abcdefz
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
That original Odelay cover is really nice.... but, yeah. Generally I kinda agree.

MC Moot
01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
He wants to be like his Grandaddy...and his work was lousy as well...

Waus
01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I thought the booklet thing that came with Guerro Deluxe was pretty cool.

ET
01-29-2008, 03:32 AM
He didn't make any of the art in the package. Guero is so-so but the Hell Yes remix EP is pure gold.

Do I want to pay for Odelay and old remixes again? Hmmm... Like mentioned above, hardcore fans will love it.

AceFace
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
i'm excited about it myself. my love for beck has just
reignited in the past year. i was a HUGE fan of Odelay when
it was out. then, after awhile, it just sat on my shelf and did
nothing and i never thought of beck again.
one day i popped it in for old times sake and freaked out about it!
now that i am older and can appreciate the complexities of the music
(not that you have to be old to understand it... i just had to
grow up to appreciate some music). now i am experiencing
guero and everything else up to the information (which i love).

most of this stuff is gonna be new to me and it makes me HAPPY!