PDA

View Full Version : Republican backlash against McCain

QueenAdrock
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Holy fucking shit is all I can say to this:

Coulter wants Clinton over McCain
Posted: 02:42 PM ET

Ann Coulter said Thursday she'd back Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
(CNN) — In the latest sign that a conservative backlash is starting to build against John McCain, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Thursday she is prepared to vote for Hillary Clinton over the Arizona senator in a general election match up.

Speaking on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes," Coulter took aim at the GOP frontrunner, and suggested he was little more than a Republican in name only.

"If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is," Coulter said. "I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism."

Coulter took aim at McCain's positions — particularly his fervent anti-torture stance — and said he and Clinton differ little on the issues. Coulter also said she is prepared to campaign on Clinton's behalf should McCain win the party's nomination.

"John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is — he is bad for the country," she said.

Coulter is the latest high profile conservative to express dismay with McCain's surging candidacy. Talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday McCain's rise was the product of a 'fractured' conservative base and an "uninspiring" GOP presidential field.

"He is not the choice of conservatives, as opposed to the choice of the Republican establishment — and that distinction is key," Limbaugh continued. "The Republican establishment, which has long sought to rid the party of conservative influence since Reagan, is feeling a victory today as well as our friends in the media."

McCain has long been at odds with conservative members of his party. — Exit polls from the early-primary states have shown the he has consistently lost among those primary voters who identify themselves as conservative. But he passed a key test Tuesday in winning Florida's primary, the first early contest that only allowed registered Republicans to participate.

Reacting to criticisms from his party's most conservative quarters, McCain told the San Francisco Gate Thursday, "I'll continue to reach out to all in the party, try to unite the party, until everybody realizes that the only way we're going to defeat the Democratic candidate is through a united party."

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Ann Coulter • Hillary Clinton • John McCain

yeahwho
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Weakness in the republican political field is more than likely the problem here. The past 7+ years of republican rule and conservative judges has pretty fucking much destroyed all aspects of America with the exception of bottomline corporate profit. I feel like a hostage.

They all suck. Don't even get me started.

SugarInTheRaw
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
No kidding. Rupert Murdoch and Hillary have already met on several occasions to discuss the future. It's no surprise that Fox News and its staff are backing her.

Please prepare to see more "Right Wing" Fox backing "Left Wing" Hillary.

DroppinScience
02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, it's as if the whole world went upside down to hear Ann Coulter saying she'd vote AND campaign for Hillary if McCain got the nod.

I don't know what to make of it. Does this make Hillary conservative enough to appeal to insane right-wingers just because McCain is a "liberal"?

:confused:

QueenAdrock
02-01-2008, 09:26 PM
It certainly turned my world upside-down. I mean, here's a woman nicknamed the "Hildabeast" by ultra right-wingers. Conservatives despise Hillary. And then there's Coulter saying that she'd support Hillary before McCain? I'd like to know what she's basing it on, because she must REALLY hate McCain. What "ultra-liberal" stuff did he do in order to earn her hatred? I've seen moderate things, but not crazy left-wing stuff.

Anyone?

b i o n i c
02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
since there's no such thing as the polarized all liberal-conservative world anne coulter lives in, this only serves to push on the fence people who dont like her TOWARDS mccain. this makes mccain more attractive to democrats, and aims to break up the strength of their side of the campaign

in other words, bullshit.

Schmeltz
02-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I think it probably has a lot more to do with Ann Coulter's own struggle to maintain some kind of personal relevance to... well, to anything. Substance has never exactly been her strength; she sells coffee-table books and writes self-admittedly polemicist material designed to provoke outrage and controversy because it's the only means of living available to her. This sounds to me like nothing more than another dose of extremism designed to remind everyone that Ann Coulter is still alive.

Another thing this shows is that the conservative movement in America might finally be starting to break apart under its own bloated, loathsome weight. The record of the Bush administration speaks loudly and clearly on the effectiveness of the Republican party as a governing institution: these have been, increasingly, years of failed American world standing, of economic weakness, of federal authoritarianism, of sluggish and endemic warfare. People laugh when they hear the words "Monica Lewinski," but they cringe to remember the debacle of Hurricane Katrina or the ludicrous sophomoric idiocy of the "Mission Accomplished" banner. And maybe this has finally produced the split in the Republican party, between ideological and pragmatic conservatives, that the world has been waiting for.

I mean the Republican party has finally begun to swing toward a relatively moderate candidate with at least some proven appeal to independent or moderate voters, but now there are rumours of a backlash against him and more in favour of... what, exactly? More of the bungling ineptitude of Bush-brand neoconservatism (which isn't exactly neo anymore either)? It's bound to produce a divide within the party, and maybe that will fatally cripple the GOP's chances no matter who they run as a candidate.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it all, but just the thought is enough to put a great big smile on my face. :D