PDA

View Full Version : fuck the 2 party system

abbott
02-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I remember the time I was working in the Longworth Building in Washington DC, for at the time a congressman who was the chair of the Intelligence Committee. I also ended up working for who at that time was Chief of the National Guard; under Bill Clinton … My point is am a step above average when it comes to knowledge of our political system…

Anyway, one day an aid came in and said, “President Clinton will be walking in through the back door in about 5 minutes.” Everybody in this Republican Office said something to the affect of Fuck that he is a Democrat. I said, Fuck that I am going to See the Prez, so I was the only one working for a republican that went down to shake hands.

This is a small example, but I do believe that within the 2 parties, Democrats & Republicans, they work harder to make their party look better than the other and often what is best for all is overlooked.

So, Why are we trying to find the best Democrat or Republican. Why can’t we break the cycle and get a 3rd party rolling? I may be a dreamer, but I’m not the only one….

Oh yea, I got the job, because my father had paved the way for me and I thought it sounded like fun. I am classified as undecided as far as my personal party affiliation. I know this sucks that I cant be part of the primary but I just can’t support a 2 party system.

Tompz
02-04-2008, 02:31 AM
You obvioulsy have a point. We have seven different parties within the parliament here in Sweden. We have a coalition-government of four parties at the moment, running the show (doing a crap job).

Comparing your two parties to the political spectrum here, I would say they are much alike and are pretty much right-wing.

Not saying saying this place is paradise but yes I think it would be to the benefit of your people if you had more choices. It's actually kind of strange that you don't.

DroppinScience
02-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Though I do think the U.S. is in desperate need of a Democrat taking The White House this year, I too am sympathetic towards the necessity for 3rd parties in the States. I fail to see how two parties -- no matter how honorable or well-intentioned those INDIVIDUALS belonging to either party -- that are overall beholden to big business and Wall Street represent the sentiments of the American people.

And I don't think it's only the left-wing that need 3rd party representation. The right-wing (such as libertarians) need to get their act together as well. On the right-left political spectrum, sadly the Democrats and the GOP only represent a small portion of said spectrum.

There's got to be a better way.

abbott
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
The one thing that I think is more need of reform for our Senate & Congress is Term Limits.

The congress and senate were not designed as careers for politicians. We should be getting in fresh ideas and people at least after 3 terms, if not 2.

I am not talking about revolution ... evolution.

QueenAdrock
02-05-2008, 01:13 AM
The problem with 3 parties is that the 3rd party will usually appeal to one side or the other, usually splitting the vote and causing the other side to win. If there were 4 parties, the two regular ones and two "alternative" parties that appealed to the bases of the regular ones, I could see it working better. It would evenly split the vote and give the people an even playing field.

It just pisses me off to see people like Nader, who appeals to the Democrats who aren't quite happy with the Democrats that are on the ballot, and no one else on the Republican side of things. At least, no one that's "big" enough out there to have as much of a rallying support behind them as Nader does. If there were more parties, with equal funding, then there's a chance. It seems to me that it's just more symbolic now than realistic, and I'm the type of person who always wants realistic.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other parties getting equal funding anytime in the near future.

DroppinScience
02-05-2008, 01:23 AM
The problem with 3 parties is that the 3rd party will usually appeal to one side or the other, usually splitting the vote and causing the other side to win. If there were 4 parties, the two regular ones and two "alternative" parties that appealed to the bases of the regular ones, I could see it working better. It would evenly split the vote and give the people an even playing field.

It just pisses me off to see people like Nader, who appeals to the Democrats who aren't quite happy with the Democrats that are on the ballot, and no one else on the Republican side of things. At least, no one that's "big" enough out there to have as much of a rallying support behind them as Nader does. If there were more parties, with equal funding, then there's a chance. It seems to me that it's just more symbolic now than realistic, and I'm the type of person who always wants realistic.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other parties getting equal funding anytime in the near future.

Here's the benefit of 3rd-parties in (yeah, I know) other countries. Coalition governments are formed, which means that no one political party truly rules and dominates. This often means they get to incorporate the ideas of other parties and come together to bring to pass to benefit a larger number of people.

Why does Canada have universal health care? It's thanks to the New Democratic Party (a 3rd party) and the Liberal Party banding together to get it done. If it was just a two-party system in Canada (Liberal/Conservative), then something like this may not have happened.

I agree with sazi in another thread who says the Green Party should start getting elected officials in municipal or state politics, to build and foment a proper base and then from there it can go federal. For example, San Francisco ALMOST had a Green mayor (the Democrat edged him out in a battle for who was more progressive than who... while the Republicans essentially had no factor).

Supposedly the majority of the American public is for leaving Iraq, universal health care, gun control, and even start impeachment hearings on Bush and Cheney (moreso Cheney interestingly enough), etc. Yet here's the thing, both parties aren't terribly interested in accomplishing any of the above. Sure, there are the lone voices who want to try, but the overall sentiment from both parties is not to listen to the American people.

I don't care whether you're right or left, THAT is a major problem.

QueenAdrock
02-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Yeah, but call me jaded, I don't see the Democrats teaming up with the Green Party to get anything done. We're getting out of a conservative government now (partially...hopefully more in November), and the Democrats have no spine. Teaming up with the Green Party screams "Look at those damn dirty liberals wanting to pass laws to go smoke weed!" and is therefore, unpopular among the major Democrats. The two parties want to keep the status quo and change around a few things, but not go "extreme" one way or the other - they're happy staying centrist.

This goes back to the fact that the people are afraid of the government and not the other way around. Our elected officials would listen to us more if they felt that they HAD to, but they only do enough so they can get the votes. It's not that way in other countries, and it's due to the fact that we're in a climate of fear. Don't question the government, and your family will be fine. If you do question, Al Qaeda will come and kill you and everyone you love. Hopefully we'll see an end to that climate of fear in the near future.

Tompz
02-05-2008, 06:09 AM
It's not that way in other countries, and it's due to the fact that we're in a climate of fear. Don't question the government, and your family will be fine. If you do question, Al Qaeda will come and kill you and everyone you love. Hopefully we'll see an end to that climate of fear in the near future.

true dat

abbott
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I do not care if it is a 3rd party or 5 or 6 parties … The fact is the 2 parties have a strangle hold and a 3rd or 4th victories party would take the fear out of the people and put it into the politicians, at least for a day.

But I agree, no one has the balls to make it happen.
Lets just get the republicans out and the democrats in … right???

jennyb
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm nonpartisan. Simply because I do not think it's fair to have to pigeon hole myself all the way to the left or the right. Even though I think I lean more towards the Democratic party. But yeah, the two party thing seems so narrow minded.

I was happy to discover that the Democratic party in my state of California allowed nonpartisan voters in their primary! :D

NoFenders
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
The way things look now, it looks like a one party system is our future.

:cool:

abbott
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I know I apologized for, “Fuck the 2 Party” but something happened yesterday that lead me to say, “Fuck the 2 party system!”

The example: I was working in my modest office feeding my frogs, and a state senator walked in. He is a republican and was explaining the importance of our property tax reform bill, and how he was upset it did not get passed through this session.

His explanation to me was that since he was a republican/minority, that the bill was killed. However a democrat has agreed to sponsor the bill next year so It can get passed.

The point is, allegedly, according to the state senator, the Democrats did not want to pass the needed bill with a republican sponsored bill, yet arrangements have been made so the bill will get passed next year with a Democrat sponsor. Additionally, I wont bore you with the details, but the bill obviously was needed and had huge public support.

alien autopsy
02-28-2008, 03:12 AM
its fuct that politics has to be so slow and takes so much effort to get anything accomplished.

real change needs to be accomplished by the people. it will never be accomplished by either "parties" because they just dick around 90% of the time arguing and politricking around divided, bitter, bought and sold.

people need to start paying attn to the third "parties"...its the people who have to change this system.