PDA

View Full Version : U2-3D

yeahwho
02-05-2008, 05:39 AM
I just went to the IMAX theater (http://www.pacsci.org/imax/comingsoon.html) here in Seattle and experience the new U23D (http://www.u23dmovie.com/) film and without a doubt it is the best concert film I've ever witnessed. A 6 story screen, 80 feet wide and the 12,000 watt crystal clear sound system in a 405 seat theater is enough to blow you away from the get go, add to that 3D and a band that is kicking it hard you have the ride of a life time. Bonus to us tonight was only 8 people in the theater for the 9:15 showing on a Monday.

If you get the chance to see this film in it's full glory, I highly recommend going right away. It's dynamite. You will feel enveloped in the live show, the camera work puts you everywhere, front row, on stage and above the whole show...even standing in with the band.

Even if you have just a passing interest in U2, that is all it takes to realize the vision of this film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0892375/usercomments).

balohna
02-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Too bad it's U2.

yeahwho
02-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Too bad it's U2.

I know.. even still with my own reservations it works, perhaps because it is U2. The over the top crowds in Argentina (90,000 strong) and the bigger than life comic book type of performance works, no overdubs just the show with a ton of 3D cameras everywhere. It works spectacularly.

b-grrrlie
02-05-2008, 07:33 AM
The only place here in Stockholm who could show it to its full advantage is Cosmonova at the Natural History Museum.
They've got a huge globe for a screen that towers all over you! Usually they show nature films (of course!),
but they have shown Rolling Stones once, so there is a possibility.
But it's gonna take a while I suppose. I would love to see it!

mate_spawn_die
02-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Too bad it's U2.
LOL! i was just about to type that.

MC Moot
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I can't wait...the greatest touring band ever...(y)

yeahwho
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm no U2 lover nor do I give a crap about Pirates, Haunted Houses or Indiana Jones... the point is this is an "E" ticket ride that really works. The movie actually advances the 3D medium into a whole new realm. It actually advances cinema into a whole new realm.

What I'm trying to say is don't let U2 "being the band (http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/index2.html?sec=1&subsec=5595)" scare you away if you like film in anyway. If your a movie freak you'll love this film. If you like U2 you'll have the added bonus of actually rocking out to this film.

Documad
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Ah ha! I was going to start this thread last week and then I chickened out.

You need to see this movie while it's still in a 3D imax theater. It won't be the same when it's in general release in another week or so. Get your ass to an imax screen!

My friend is the world's biggest U2 fan, so we lined up early to get the best seats. I got to meet some other superfans in line, and I mean superfans. It's fun to do that when it's not your band.

I will second yeahwho. You don't have to be a big U2 fan. You will obviously know most of the songs and like a whole bunch of them or you're a complete moron. But what impressed me is that it conveys what it's like to be at a concert. It's not stage-y. You can feel the energy of the crowd. I'd like to make my friends who don't go to concerts see this and understand why I line up all day to be on the rail for my bands. :)

I was skeptical. I felt like a bit of a dork with the glasses and all that. My friend had already seen it but she worships U2. About 3/4 of the way through the first song I turned to her and said "this is fucking cool." I was hooked.

Documad
02-06-2008, 01:23 AM
PS -- We're seeing it again this week before it leaves. ;)

DroppinScience
02-06-2008, 03:08 AM
This sounds awesome! Unlike yeahwho and Documad who are too cool to admit it, I LOVE U2, so it should definitely be awesome. (y)

Randetica
02-06-2008, 09:15 AM
already the trailer made me shit my pants lol

hope they will play it here too, it's probably gonna be better than seeing them live (y)

taquitos
02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
it's probably gonna be better than seeing them live (y)

:eek: GET OUTTA TOWN!!!

Randetica
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
bono 4 jesus!

mikizee
02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Our IMAX theatre in town went broke a few years ago and shut down :(

abcdefz
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Our local IMAX is in the Tech Museum, so we only get the science/geography etc. documentaries. :(

Documad
02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
This sounds awesome! Unlike yeahwho and Documad who are too cool to admit it, I LOVE U2, so it should definitely be awesome. (y)

Hey! I used to be a big fan! I just didn't care for a few of the recent CDs. But I was there through Achtung Baby. :mad: And this movie is full of the old songs.

DroppinScience
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Okay, I finally got the opportunity to see this movie last night.

I gotta say it was really awesome! I've seen other U2 concert films ("Rattle & Hum," and the Live in Boston and the Live in Ireland ones), and although I've never actually seen them live, they never fail to impress with their live show.

The 3-D effects were awesome. It especially works when Bono hams it up and reaches out into the audience/camera and all that.

And I like it when they get political when they perform songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bullet The Blue Sky." He always has something new to add about political situations of the day (Bono's impassioned anti-terrorism in Northern Ireland spiel was particularly moving in "Rattle & Hum"), and I liked his "COEXIST" mantra for this one ("Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true! We're all sons of Abraham").

Randetica
04-20-2008, 01:34 AM
they play it in vienna which is too far away for me (n) i guess it wont be the same watching it on dvd, blue ray or whatever kids use this days

Documad
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Glad you liked it DS! I wound up seeing it five times while it was playing here. :D

NicRN77
04-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I saw this 3 times here in Boston at the IMAX theater at the aquarium. By far the best concert film I've seen. I agree with you all. Even if you're not a U2 fan...just a lover of music...you must see this movie.

yeahwho
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I saw this 3 times here in Boston at the IMAX theater at the aquarium. By far the best concert film I've seen. I agree with you all. Even if you're not a U2 fan...just a lover of music...you must see this movie.
I wish it was still playing here in Seattle, they took it away and put the Stones movie in its place. I'll see the Stones eventually (its playing through July) but damn that U23D was kick ass and well worth multiple viewings IMAX way.

The Stones is just big, no 3D. :mad: Its 2008 Marty, get with the program!