PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

Lex Diamonds
02-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Is the one personality trait that I am severely lacking in. Most people who know me will say I'm the laziest person they have met.

Is it an inherent trait or can it be nurtured? Is it quantifiable? It cannot be measured in terms of skill, prolificness, or creativity, as even the laziest of people can possess such qualitites.

Where does motivation come from, and is it delusional in the sense that the effort of a task often outweighs the rewards?

Any thoughts? And how motivated are you yourself?

mikizee
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I don't think the consumption of weed has anything to do with it, no. No. Don't think that at all.

I remember Bill Hicks saying something about this, something like pot smokers aren't lazy, they just realise that most things aren't worth doing.

Kid Presentable
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
People ask what motivates me at uni. Like younger students, and shit. I tell them "spend 6 years without a degree and find out how shit the world is". So I guess lessons learned, or something. Like having lived the flipside of a scenario can make you more motivated to achieve the best outcome. That's just my limited experience, and a shaky analogy.

Kid Presentable
02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
That said, I'm meant to be studying for an exam I have on Monday.

mikizee
02-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes, I'm also meant to be editing a DVD that is due in 3 weeks, yet I'm cooking a curry pie. (have the munchies)

Lex Diamonds
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
People ask what motivates me at uni. Like younger students, and shit. I tell them "spend 6 years without a degree and find out how shit the world is". So I guess lessons learned, or something. Like having lived the flipside of a scenario can make you more motivated to achieve the best outcome. That's just my limited experience, and a shaky analogy.Yeah, I see that.

I recently worked a factory job for a few days, the pay wasn't too bad (£6/h), but the work was soul-destroying. Putting sunglasses in bags/boxes or tying tags around them for 9 hours straight. Everyone else doing it was either a questionably legal immigrant or a complete brainless moron, and the worrying thing was none of them seemed at all depressed or downhearted by the work. Like tragic acceptance leading to a kind of ignorant content. I spoke to one guy who had been doing it for 6 years, he seemed to be a husk of a person, literally had the soul sucked out of him.

That made me pretty certain that I want to do well at uni and avoid a fucked up living like that, but for some reason it still doesn't quite seem real enough to me. I guess procrastination and denial of urgency is part of my flaw. I'm still not motivated enough to do wider reading or do research into the course or anything ahead of my arrival at uni in September, which I know a lot of people are.

Kid Presentable
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I was motivated enough to make sausage casserole.

Lex Diamonds
02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I just had a microwave curry. I did do a naan bread in the oven though, that was a bit of effort.

Otis Driftwood
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
The power unit on my PC has been broken for 3 months now and I've been too lazy to send it in to trade it for a new one. Warranty will run out in 3 months, but I can't seem to get motivated enough to remove it and send it in. I had a lot of fun with my PC and there's tons of entertaining stuff on it, but going to the post office is something I cannot be motivated to do. Plus I go out drinking every night, 'cause there's nothing to do at home.

abcdefz
02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Dex: "Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

TurdBerglar
02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
i find what motivates most people are things that they want. be it physical things or emotional things and i've found that i just don't care about those things nearly as much as most. i have really no desire to obtain those things that most people desire(big house, nice car, great spouse, a family etc.). i don't care much about money or success. i just want enough to not be a burden to anyone else.

beastieangel01
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I think, for me, what motivates me is the fact that I tire of the current and focus on what I want. Then I (yes, this is kind of cheesy but I need to do it otherwise I do nothing) write down a list on paper of what I want and what I need to do to achieve it.

If I want something, I need to go get it or take the proper steps towards getting it. I remind myself that no one is ever going to just hand anything to me.

checkyourprez
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
i find what motivates most people are things that they want. be it physical things or emotional things and i've found that i just don't care about those things nearly as much as most. i have really no desire to obtain those things that most people desire(big house, nice car, great spouse, a family etc.). i don't care much about money or success. i just want enough to not be a burden to anyone else.

word life my friend.

ericlee
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I wish I had a self masturbating dong.

It takes too much effort these days.

Bob
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't think the consumption of weed has anything to do with it, no. No. Don't think that at all.

I remember Bill Hicks saying something about this, something like pot smokers aren't lazy, they just realise that most things aren't worth doing.

"sure, i could wake up at dawn, go to a dead-end job that i hate...

*smoke*

OR....

i could sleep in until noon, and learn to play the sitar"

kaiser soze
02-08-2008, 04:40 PM
motivation.....that's one word that is not in my vocabulary, maybe I'll post more about this later

Planetary
02-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Fuck a bitch, don't tease bitch, strip tease bitch, eat a bowl o' deez bitch, gobble a dick!

Yetra Flam
02-08-2008, 07:38 PM
going to university doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a decent job. my mother made me go for that very reason and i'm pretty much the most unsuccessful person ever.

fucktopgirl
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Motivation come when you like/enjoy what you are doing or when you have precise goal in mind and sometime you also have to kick yourself in the ass.

But motivation come with passion, i think.

Randetica
02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
depressions slow you down as fuck

jennyb
02-09-2008, 10:41 AM
If you're motivated enough to click here (http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/get-off-your-butt-16-ways-to-get-motivated-when-youre-in-a-slump) and read this blog.... it may help!

Otis Driftwood
02-11-2008, 05:17 AM
No thanks. It's easier doing something you have to do without putting any heart and soul in it than getting "motivated" to do it. Yikes! :D