PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young

NoFenders
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jSrnjHuo1x78P2-m7N2lVO2hOwMQD8UM85H80

"I think that the time when music could change the world is past," he told reporters. "I think it would be very naive to think that in this day and age."

Gee ya think??? Just make music to make music. You wanna change the world???? Run for office.

I'm very happy now. He finally gets it.

:cool:

yeahwho
02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
So he is slowly coming around to the reality that political realities, ambitions and debate belong on message boards. This medium is sort of daunting to his generation.

Neil, welcome to 2008.

DroppinScience
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds like Neil Young sold out to THE MAN.

Bob
02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
neil young doesn't care about black people

NoFenders
02-09-2008, 10:18 AM
LMFAO!!!

JohnnyChavello
02-09-2008, 12:45 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jSrnjHuo1x78P2-m7N2lVO2hOwMQD8UM85H80
Just make music to make music. You wanna change the world???? Run for office.

I'm very happy now. He finally gets it.

Why can't artists understand that it's inappropriate for them to comment on the world? Why don't they realize that all the world needs is more entertainment? How many Picassos, Dylans, Thoureaus, Godards, and Chuck Ds will it take before we can be rid of this sickening urge? Can't everyone just accept the fact that changing the world requires that you make your way through the ranks of the two-party system, raise millions of dollars for your candidacy, and sell yourself to every corporate interest that's willing to bite? Ordinary people and artists have no proper role in our democratic republic. Our country revolted against British rule in order to establish our own monied aristocracy. People like Neil Young are just fucking it up.

Thank you NoFenders for "getting it." Thank you you sad, ignorant fool.

Schmeltz
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
If you actually read that article, you find that the interview takes place at a film festival where Neil Young is promoting an explicitly political tour video. So he's not saying that politics has no place in music, he's commenting on the spirit of cynicism and detachment that he feels pervades the world (as an artist might). I mean later in the article he says the goal was to stimulate political debate among people, which it apparently has. So I think you're misreading what he has to say.

roosta
02-10-2008, 06:22 AM
You wanna change the world???? Run for office.

hahah..yeah, because that's what happens!

NoFenders
02-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Why can't artists understand that it's inappropriate for them to comment on the world? Why don't they realize that all the world needs is more entertainment? How many Picassos, Dylans, Thoureaus, Godards, and Chuck Ds will it take before we can be rid of this sickening urge? Can't everyone just accept the fact that changing the world requires that you make your way through the ranks of the two-party system, raise millions of dollars for your candidacy, and sell yourself to every corporate interest that's willing to bite? Ordinary people and artists have no proper role in our democratic republic. Our country revolted against British rule in order to establish our own monied aristocracy. People like Neil Young are just fucking it up.

Thank you NoFenders for "getting it." Thank you you sad, ignorant fool.

Ignorance is what you've protrayed in the end. Great job!!

However, since I'm such a true red blooded American, I'll give you your undeserved reply. ;)

Comment on the world all ya want. I in no way have stated that political opinion should be taken out of art. What I've stated is that I think it's stupid for somebody who does so to expect anything less than my rantings. I needed a sign made for my office some time ago. I was going to give the business to a local guy. As I pulled up to the store,I noticed a huge sign that read Al Gore for President. I kept the car in drive, and kept going. I paid to have it done elsewhere. That guy just cut his business in half by putting up a sign. Needless to say, his business is no longer there. You can't expect to gain customers. You'll only loose half. Even today. He has the right to do it, don't get me wrong, but he's fighting himself in the terms of making money. Neil made a lot of money doing that in the 60s and 70s, but times have changed. When I go to see a show, I don't want to hear his or your political opinion, unless of course you'll give me a chance to voice mine, but I highly doubt it since you consider me a ignorant sad fool. You've helped me out with knowing what kind of person you are though.

NoFenders
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
If you actually read that article, you find that the interview takes place at a film festival where Neil Young is promoting an explicitly political tour video. So he's not saying that politics has no place in music, he's commenting on the spirit of cynicism and detachment that he feels pervades the world (as an artist might). I mean later in the article he says the goal was to stimulate political debate among people, which it apparently has. So I think you're misreading what he has to say.

"I think that the time when music could change the world is past," he told reporters. "I think it would be very naive to think that in this day and age."

That's all I needed to hear

NoFenders
02-11-2008, 01:27 PM
hahah..yeah, because that's what happens!

Yeah I know, it sucks that every political figure is a liar,theif and has an ego the size of the sun, but I still think our system can work, and sometimes does. :cool:

DroppinScience
02-11-2008, 05:38 PM
You'll only loose half.

He doesn't need the business of someone who can't tell the difference between "lose" and "loose."

NoFenders
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
He doesn't need the business of someone who can't tell the difference between "lose" and "loose."

Sorry Dr. :cool:

Bob
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
droppinscience is a doctor of spellology