PDA

View Full Version : Rakim Dedication Thread

Miho
02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
This goes out to the greatness that is Rakim. He is my hip-hop hero, mentor, role model, and so on and so forth. Discuss.

checkyourprez
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
rakim allah.

definatly one of the gods.

but ive heard some of his newer stuff, just doesnt sound the same. maybe its because its not rapping over those early 90s beats, or maybe his voice is just a little different, idk. not bad just not the same.

still looking forward to his new joint, if it ever comes out.

Miho
02-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Hell yeah. I cannot wait until The Seventh Seal /finally/ releases. I'm hearing it's going to be around March, since he was recently quoted saying that it will be out after the new year, while performing at some venue.

Eh, I like his current style. Recently, he did that Dr. Dre produced track for his new album, titled "After U Die", (listen to it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2D2rJP-ow) on YouTube) however that was back when he was supposed to release it on Aftermath, but it was shot down by the Interscope label when they presented an advance to them. Also due to the fact that Rakim had creative differences with Dr. Dre. Dre wanted his content to be more gangster, and hard, but Rakim was not going for that style.

What else is to say about this incredibly unique MC? Well, notice in 99% of his music, he doesn't swear nor use the word buzz word 'nigga'. He has always stuck to a clean, thought provoking style of interesting wordplay. Really fun rap music to listen to. To me, he seems modest and humble; respectful to all people. He is not only one of my role models, but my favorite rapper ever. I would love to meet him one day.

Some of my favorite tracks of his are "The Punisher", "Microphone Fiend", "It's a Must", "How I Get Down", "Casualties of War", "Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em", and "The Mystery (Who is God?)".

paul jones
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I haven't played my 'Paid in Full' 12 inch for a while

mikizee
02-10-2008, 07:50 AM
OK OK so which album should I buy first

RobMoney$
02-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Paid in Full is the greatest rap album ever recorded peroid

adam_f
02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Eric B. is the worst DJ in the history of DJ's.

Jitters
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
OBJECTION!

Bob
02-10-2008, 03:53 PM

paid in full, definitely

Guy Incognito
02-10-2008, 04:44 PM
dont sweat the technique is just as good imo

Miho
02-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Well, my introduction to Rakim started with his solo albums, The 18th Letter (The Book of Life) and The Master. Go with those, and try to get the deluxe edition of The 18th Letter because it includes a second disc that has his earlier work with Eric B. It has the very awesome "The Punisher" song on it. <3

Eric B. is the worst DJ in the history of DJ's.

Hmm, well he certainly isn't too inspiring. I would say Rakim made him who he is known as today. It'd be interesting if Eric B. made a guest appearence on The Seventh Seal by handling the production on one of Rakim's new tracks.

Speaking of which, I've heard that Nas will most definitely be on The Seventh Seal, and Rakim said that more surprises would be on the album, but he wouldn't say anything about them. Man, can't wait for it. <33

checkyourprez
02-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, my introduction to Rakim started with his solo albums, The 18th Letter (The Book of Life) and The Master. Go with those, and try to get the deluxe edition of The 18th Letter because it includes a second disc that has his earlier work with Eric B. It has the very awesome "The Punisher" song on it. <3

Hmm, well he certainly isn't too inspiring. I would say Rakim made him who he is known as today. It'd be interesting if Eric B. made a guest appearence on The Seventh Seal by handling the production on one of Rakim's new tracks.

Speaking of which, I've heard that Nas will most definitely be on The Seventh Seal, and Rakim said that more surprises would be on the album, but he wouldn't say anything about them. Man, can't wait for it. <33

I disagree. For introductionary listening you'd want someone to hear him at his best. For that go with paid in full, and dont sweat the tech. Thaaaan get into 18th letter ect.

mickill
02-24-2008, 03:05 AM
dont sweat the technique is just as good imo

Not really. Not at all, actually.

His solo work has its merits, I guess, but the first three albums (especially Paid In Full and Follow The Leader) were his best. Period. I don't think this is really debatable.

It's Nothing (http://www.spinemagazine.com/music/february/rakim/itsnothing.mp3)

Miho
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the link. I was looking for an mp3 of that somewhere.

mickill
02-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Hip Hop (http://www.zshare.net/audio/80595373960bce/)