PDA

View Full Version : R.E.M. - Monster

Deep_Sea_Rain
02-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Is a truly fucking amazing album.

abcdefz
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I like much of it just fine.

Peter Buck is pretty good with feedback.

Kurt Cobain was supposed to have worked with them on the album, but he died. Cobain said they were one of his favorite artists.

MC Moot
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
It's so well aptly titled and seeing them tour it with Sonic Youth opening remains one of my live music highlights to date...(y)

abcdefz
02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I'd love to have heard "You" live back in the day.

Too bad that tour tore the group up, but I think Bill made the right choice. Priorities.

MC Moot
02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Funny story: I saw the first show of the tour and the first show with Bill back after the aneurysm...When they came on Stipe had a little podium/lyric stand with cheat sheets on it...I was like WTF?...but 2 songs into it he started throwing the sheets up into the air and audience,knocked the podium down...highly energizing/entertaining...then Bill fucked up the intro to a song..and Stipe halted the band and was like "uh,Bill?...Everything o.k?"...the whole band including Berry had a good laugh and the show went on...good times...:)

abcdefz
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I would've thought that Mike Mills leaving would've been what took the heart out of that band, not so much Bill.

Just goes to show ya how wrong you can be.

I guess Bill wrote "Perfect Circle" and "Man on the Moon," which I did not realize. (y)

DroppinScience
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
For whatever reason, that album got panned, but you know what? It's actually a pretty good album.

yeahwho
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Monster was great, our local non-profit radio station (http://kexp.org/home.asp) has been playing the new album, Accelerate (http://remhq.com/albums.php), which to me sounds like a return to that and Documents style. This bodes well, eh?

thegoodmrbrodie!
02-15-2008, 06:38 AM
this is one of my favourite albums ever. :)

SugarInTheRaw
02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
This thread just made me want to break out that CD! I have not heard it in years. Thanks for the reminder.