PDA

View Full Version : Tipping; Do you favor your own race?

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
So the other day I was hungry and had no food in the house so I ordered up some Papa Johns. A while later my pizza arrived and the delivery guy was Mexican (as am I) and as I was taking the money out of my wallet trying to decide how much to tip I thought to myself “Oh he’s Mexican go ahead and give him $5”….I think that’s a pretty good tip considering my total was like $19.

I’m normally a pretty good tipper regardless but it made me stop and think. I really do tend to tip more for things if the person is of my same race. I dunno why or what the rationale is. I suppose it’s a form of “keeping it real” maybe? I guess I just try to look out for “my people” ya know. Anyway I thought this was a bit interesting and was curious if any of you do the same thing.

abcdefz
02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't.

but maybe if I heard, like, the Beta Band or Shostakovich or something coming out of their car, I would.

Or if they were wearing a Barton Fink T-shirt or something.

Lex Diamonds
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I hate whites.

jabumbo
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
for real?

i tend to be somewhat stingy for delivery drivers even though its probably harder for them now that gas is expensive. but i always thought that driving around all day for a job really can't be that strenuous. sit down restaurant is a bit different though.

but i've never changed my tip based on race or ethnicity. gender is a more likely factor i think

camo
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I hate whites.

Not a Daz man then?

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
"Don't think too much about the color of skin...Order in vegetarian sharks fin..."

:rolleyes:

beastiegirrl101
02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I always tip well, no matter what the race.

I have a hard time figuring out wether or not to tip when you pick up take out from a restaurant....do any of you? My bro tells me yes, but it's not like they did anything other than make it and bag it up.

Do you guys tip when you are picking up, take out?

abcdefz
02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
I hate whites.

Well, with what you've been through...

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
but i've never changed my tip based on race or ethnicity. gender is a more likely factor i think

You are right about that...at a sit down joint I tend to tip women better but I think that's just part of being a man.

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you guys tip when you are picking up, take out?

No...I mean most of the take-out joints I pick up from offer a discount on the pick up...so that would be contadictory to the whole point....

abcdefz
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't tip for take-out.

I only tip if someone performs a service for me: deliver my food to my door or my table; a butcher fillets some fish I've selected; fix my
coffee in a very specific way, etc. I don't tip someone because they happen to be the person at the register.

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I hate tipping at buffets...you know how they seat you give you a drink then you're on your own, then at the end of the meal everyone throws down a buck or two for the girl who brought you your drink. That just seems silly to me

Rock
02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
i tip pretty well...but i don't tip when i pick up some food. that makes no sense to me.

as far as not tipping delivery drivers...shit ain't cool. they drive around like crazy trying to get your food there as fast as possible, and when i was delivering...and wasn't on the road, i would be at the shop, making food, working the register, cleaning up. it isn't a simple drop off and collect kind of thing. at least at most mom and pop joints. Not sure about corporations.

and tipping someone because they are the same race....thats hilarious. color blind is the way to go.

b i o n i c
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
i tip well for good service to everyone.

i tip nothing for shitty service to everyone.

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
and tipping someone because they are the same race....thats hilarious. color blind is the way to go.

I said I tend to tip better if they are my same race...I always tip and tip well unless the service is sub-par

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I said I tend to tip better if they are my same race...

That's one weak tendency...(n)

Rock
02-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I said I tend to tip better if they are my same race...I always tip and tip well unless the service is sub-par

my bad...i left out "...someone better because...".

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 11:59 AM
That's one weak tendency...(n)

oh well I don't plan on losing any sleep over it...

TAL
02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm happy to live in a place where no one tips.

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I didn’t know Finland had a Club Med…;)

b-grrrlie
02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm happy to live in a place where no one tips.

Me too. Or does very rarely.
Sometimes I might leave a krona or two on the bardesk in the beginning of the evening to get quicker service later.
In restaurants I tip if the service or food has been exceptionally good.

beastieangel01
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
my tip is gauged on how well the service was or their demeanor/attitude if they are just delivering.

HEIRESS
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont tip cause those waitresses are always looking down on me.

*awaits a-z's reply*

wanton wench
02-21-2008, 02:46 PM
i tip well for good service to everyone.

i tip nothing for shitty service to everyone.

this is how it should be done.

i'm a server and i like it better when someone is honest. if i fuck up i dont expect a tip and when i make you smile and bring you everything you need then i do expect something. ya know i only make $3 an hour.

Randetica
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
austrians, americans, germans etc. look all the same so i give no one a tip in case the WRONG race could get it

Loppfessor
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
austrians, americans, germans etc. look all the same so i give no one a tip in case the WRONG race could get it

Maybe you should start asking to see their passports or something...

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
jeezus...Beastie fans that judge gratuity on race and nationality...ya'all listen to the music you just don't hear it,I guess...:(

taquitos
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
yeah i only tip other whites

taquitos
02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I didn’t know Finland had a Club Med…;)

HA!

DandyFop
02-21-2008, 04:23 PM
ugh to-go orders could be such a pain in the ass when I worked as the bartender in a restaurant. Generally it wouldn't be so bad, but you should tip someone if you're getting more than like like two entrees because it takes a while to get everything together, or if you order it on a really busy night. I mean only a buck or two makes a difference.

oh and for the record, in my experience, Mexicans are the worst tippers. Guess just shoulda thought about being Mexican if I wanted a tip from them.

MC Moot
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
yeah i only tip other whites

I have a dream...that one day a real rain will come to Tennesee and watch those cracka necks clean...(y)

funk63
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
i tip less if they aren't white.. does that count?

Yetra Flam
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
i was very surprised to find that i get tips at my job - i didn't know it was customary to tip dog groomers. i get anywhere from $5-$30 bucks per dog. shit, these people have way too much money.

venusvenus123
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
it would be plain weird if i tipped white people more than other people :confused:

Helvete
02-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think this thread applies to us white people. We're the man, and it's the same reason why we can't have white history days, or White Entertainment Television.

Anyway, what is tip?

taquitos
02-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a dream...that one day a real rain will come to Tennesee and watch those cracka necks clean...(y)

words...just words