Black Sabbath
CSNY
RHCP

Bob
02-21-2008, 07:52 PM
white stripes

afronaut
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Obvious: the beatles. Can, maybe. Velvet Underground.

RobMoney$
02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
white stripes

Probably the worst example of a band that should be in this thread.
Let's face it, Meg is talentless.

The Beatles, can anyone really make a case for Ringo being as talented as Lennon, McCartney, or Harrison?

Bob
02-21-2008, 09:51 PM

The Beatles, can anyone really make a case for Ringo being as talented as Lennon, McCartney, or Harrison?

yeah but she had that sex tape

RobMoney$
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I stand corrected.

TurdBerglar
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
well led zeppelin is the obvious one

cream

that's all i can think of right now

pshabi
02-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock

What!?! What!?!

mate_spawn_die
02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
suicide
ramones

umm... expect more

hitmonlee
02-22-2008, 01:00 AM
i disagree with most that have been mentioned except beastie boys and white strips.

most of the bands are nothing without their lead singer/lead guitarist.

the beatles is pretty close with 3 out of 4 members being nearly as equally important as each other. but still, no.

Guy Incognito
02-22-2008, 03:28 AM
stone roses (mk I)
orbital

g-mile7
02-22-2008, 03:56 AM
prince and the revolution
the jimi hendrix experience
ben folds 5
nine inch nails
gladys knight and the pips
wham!

mate_spawn_die
02-22-2008, 04:58 AM
the b-52's (yes, including fred schneider)

camo
02-22-2008, 06:24 AM
The Chemical Brothers
Run DMC
Daft Punk
The Cheeky Girls

abcdefz
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Moby Grape
The Band
REM, back in the day

abcdefz
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Velvet Underground.

..are you thinking of Doug Yule, here, or Sterling Morrison? :D

abcdefz
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
ben folds 5
nine inch nails
wham!

You forgot Creedence Clearwater Revival and Wilco.

roosta
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
the streets

mate_spawn_die
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
depeche mode
kraftwerk
roxy music
the clash
butthole surfers
bad brains
pink floyd (with and without syd)
chromeo
de la soul

the list goes on and on

abcdefz
02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
the clash

:confused:

ToucanSpam
02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Any rock band after 1997.

Tzar
02-22-2008, 07:39 PM
WU.. WU.. WU.. WU..

Lex Diamonds
02-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I was gonna say Wu Tang but then I remembered U-God.

The Stone Roses fit this well, though.

Tzar
02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
yeah i was arguing with myself over u-god, but, like that Rock the Bells doco; it just ain't the Wu if they aren't all there.

Lex Diamonds
02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I dunno for some reason I always feel like he's ridden on the coat tails of the other members. When I saw the Wu Tang episode of Cribs I felt slightly disgusted at the way he was showing off all these garish, shitty but expensive clothes and going on about how he did the grind to get it all... it's like no you didn't, 8 other people worked hard for you to live this shit, chump.

Miho
02-22-2008, 11:11 PM
The Pharcyde
A Tribe Called Quest
Brainiac
8-Bit Boys (http://www.myspace.com/8bitboys)

afronaut
02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Talent wise, no. However, he contributed a very important part to the Beatles: 1. charisma. 2. the obligatory really bad silly song that basically exists to even out all the brilliant stuff and bring the Beatles back to earth. Thus making it easier for us to connect with them on a human level. You know, they're human too. The Beatles can fuck up like the rest of us. I mean, octopus garden. Fuck man. Octopus garden. You can only feel sympathy for them.

Edit: to a-z. You know the answer to that as well as I. Although at least Doug Yule kept the band existing long enough for Reed to make some good music before he went solo and, well, you know the rest. Bonus: The one album Yule made under the VU moniker was bad enough that everyone agrees to just ignore its existence. So no harm done there.

Documad
02-23-2008, 01:39 AM
ben folds 5
nine inch nails
wham!
funny
You forgot Creedence Clearwater Revival and Wilco.
funnier

Tzar
02-23-2008, 02:36 AM
doesn't Reznor change the members of NIN for each album or something?

ericlee
02-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Bivouac

paul jones
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Spice Girls

RobMoney$
02-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Run DMC

The Band

Two good ones (y)

pink floyd (with and without syd)

Waters wrote The Wall, Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here.
He's clearly more talented than Gilmour or Nick Mason

Bivouac

(y)

Documad
02-23-2008, 12:05 PM
doesn't Reznor change the members of NIN for each album or something?
That's why it's funny.

b-grrrlie
02-23-2008, 12:11 PM
22 Pistepirkko
Luscious Jackson
Runaways

saz
02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Waters wrote The Wall, Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here.
He's clearly more talented than Gilmour or Nick Mason

wish you were here was written by the entire band.

while it's true that the wall and animals were essentially waters solo albums, they are also two of floyd's crappiest albums. they're both overrated as hell, boring, completely self-indulgent and out of touch with their previous psychedelic/space rock mastery. plus bob ezrin's brutal production made the wall sound like a cheesy 80s rock album or soundtrack to top gun. these two albums pale in comparison to live at pompeii, more, obscured by clouds, piper, a saucerful of secrets, dark side et al. plus when the megalomaniacal waters took over the band after wish you were here, they ditched their trademark mindblowing psychedelic live set. waters also bullied rick wright during the recording of the wall and treated him like shit, destroying his confidence when rick was going through a divorce and struggling with drug addiction.

anyways, to say that waters is more talented than gilmour, or rick wright (nick mason, obviously so), is utterly ridiculous. waters can't sing. he has never been able to, nor never will. waters is a brilliant lyricist, and has written some great songs for sure. however, he is in no way on a par with gilmour, who is also a great songwriter, guitar virtuoso, and outstanding vocalist. wright is severly underrated, as a self-taught and brilliant pianist, songwriter, arranger, and before losing his voice another outstanding vocalist. it has been gilmour whose on an island was a critical and commercial success, reaching number one in the u.k. charts, with an enormously successful world tour, in which gilmour, for the most part played smaller venues. he has also donated over four million pounds to charity. meanwhile, waters continues to launch endless, massive world tours to fill his coffers and release solo albums which really are minor blips on the proverbial radar. radio kaos? the most cheesiest synth pop 80s crap ever.

anyways, both the wall and animals doesn't even come anywhere near this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u70HdOuzPc) brilliance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeaW4ZoXmJY&NR=1).

abcdefz
02-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Roger Waters maybe "can't sing," but the vocal perfroamce on The Wall, through and through, is one of the great performances by someone
who's not particularly gifted with a good voice. It's awesome.

RobMoney$
02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Waters has more emotion in his voice on his worst day than monotone Gilmour ever did, not that I think that means anything when discussing why Waters is more talented.

Did you really just disparage The Wall, Animals, and Dark Side and give us "on an Island"?
C'mon man.

Auton
02-24-2008, 02:58 AM
i'm seriously on robmoney's and a-z's side. first time i heard the wall as a teenager i was kind of put off by waters voice, but i seriously think his vocal delivery helps the album greatly, rather than being a hinderance. i personally love the way his voice sounds on it. still one of my favorite albums. gilmour plays great guitar and has a nice voice and makes pleasant songs, but they aren't very interesting.

mickill
02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Traveling Wilburys
Emerson Lake And Palmer
WESTSIDE CONNECTION

I don't think that half the groups already mentioned should be included anywhere in this thread. Tribe? Roxy Music? Depeche Mode? Hell nah.

Documad
02-24-2008, 03:36 AM
i'm seriously on robmoney's and a-z's side.
Me too.

You can hate The Wall and all the angst behind it, but there's no denying that it's all from Waters' viewpoint. I understand why young adults wouldn't love The Wall today, but it meant a lot to me when I was a teenager. I've never liked the really early Floyd, but I never like music in that vein.

I'll count anything from Meddle through The Final Cut as a real Floyd album. Pink Floyd=Roger Waters to me.

Auton
02-24-2008, 03:51 AM
i love you.

RobMoney$
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
but i seriously think his vocal delivery helps the album greatly, rather than being a hinderance. i personally love the way his voice sounds on it. still one of my favorite albums

His voice is haunting, which fits in perfectly with everything Floyd.
especially The Wall.

saz
02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Waters has more emotion in his voice on his worst day than monotone Gilmour ever did, not that I think that means anything when discussing why Waters is more talented. Did you really just disparage The Wall, Animals, and Dark Side and give us "on an Island"?
C'mon man.

if you believe that gilmour has a monotone voice then you obviously haven't listened to much floyd. or at least watched or listened to live at pompeii.

no, i love dark side. it's a timeless classic.

i find animals to be incredibly boring and uninspired. just what exactly the appeal of pigs (three different ones) is, is an utter mystery to me, as it is just so bland and mediocre. i listened to this album over and over again, i practically studied it, and i just couldn't figure out what's so awesome about it.

yeah, i find the wall to be cheesy and dated as hell, another brick in the wall part 2 sounds like disco. one of the only few great tracks on it is goodbye blue sky; it sounds like their previous folk material (ie if, grantchester meadows), and obviously because gilmour sings on it and demonstrates yet again why he (and wright) should've been handling all floyd vocal duties (as they once did) and not waters.

i should really get around to posting some of their live bootlegs from the 60s and early 70s.

DroppinScience
02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, maybe Roger Waters was mucking things up towards the end, but when he left, all Gilmour could give us was "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell." I don't know about you, but those albums were WEAK.

beastiegirrl101
02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Salt N Peppa
TLC

HEIRESS
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
sloan.

DeeJayZap
02-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Pixies. Black because he's the lead singer. Kim because she sings lead and her bass playing is great. Joey because his guitar parts are amazing. David because he's a great drummer with a great style and sings on a few songs too.

DIGI
02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I think there was a time when The Yardbirds fit in this category. Also, Ween.

hitmonlee
02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Salt N Peppa

not true. does anyone care about spinderella? didn't salt and pepa basically do everything and then just chose another chick to do the rest? and it could have been any random? the group isnt called salt n pepa n spinderella.

DIGI
02-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Sinderella was hired help. She was never considered a part of the group.

b-grrrlie
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Hurriganes (http://www.myspace.com/hurriganesfan) (the original version, now two of them are dead)

Guy Incognito
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Pixies. Black because he's the lead singer. Kim because she sings lead and her bass playing is great. Joey because his guitar parts are amazing. David because he's a great drummer with a great style and sings on a few songs too.

(y)

Although i have been thinking about this thread ,
because i was going to say the smiths and nirvana
and then deal with a load of posts saying i talk shit.

However, Mike Joyce of the smiths famously won that
court case that basically said that the rhythm section
DID contirubte to the writing of the songs.

What i am trying to say is that no doubt people
like Cobain, Morrissey, Johnny MArr and even
Lennon and McCartney were the chief magic makers
but they were influenced by the other players in their band
and that contribution is essential even though to some those members like Rourke/Joyce, Grohl/Novoselic or Starr and Harrison are incidental.

Does that make sense?

HEIRESS
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I think there was a time when The Yardbirds fit in this category. Also, Ween.

ok then, Blind Faith.

abcdefz
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Milli Vanilli. Those guys were exactly equally important.

Guy Incognito
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Milli Vanilli. Those guys were exactly equally important.

Not necessarily cos all that shit led to one guy fucking himself up and dying and he is a cautionary tale of not to be a lip-sync artist.:p

abcdefz
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
But that was after they were finished.

Guy Incognito
02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
But that was after they were finished.

They will never be finished in my heart

abcdefz
02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Stop playin' games with my Vanilli.

Guy Incognito
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
a-z you know its true.

camo
02-27-2008, 04:30 AM
kid and play

hpdrifter
02-27-2008, 02:41 PM
"What i am trying to say is that no doubt people
like Cobain, Morrissey, Johnny MArr and even
Lennon and McCartney were the chief magic makers
but they were influenced by the other players in their band
and that contribution is essential even though to some those members like Rourke/Joyce, Grohl/Novoselic or Starr and Harrison are incidental."

That's what I was going to say. Are we talking equally talented or bands where the members make the band greater than the sum of its parts?

Guy Incognito
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
That's what I was going to say. Are we talking equally talented or bands where the members make the band greater than the sum of its parts?

you said it quicker and better than i did(y)

hitmonlee
03-04-2008, 02:50 AM
The Veronicas

no WAI

the one who plays the keyboards is totally more important!

mate_spawn_die
03-04-2008, 04:57 AM
the monkees

camo
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Kurt Cobain was terrible

you mean...Kurt Cobain was terrible at being famous.

Guy Incognito
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
you mean...Kurt Cobain was terrible at being famous.

Hahaha - his missus was quite good at it on a car crash type way

Cobain sucked at guitar and his voice sounded like he rubbed it with sandpaper.

That statement is 100% monkey spunk. I was going to post a long winded, well thought out reposte to this but i am not going to give you the satisfaction.
Sure, there were better songwriters and singers but the man deserves his place in history for nevermind alone.

camo
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM

Joel don't be a dopey cunt

(n)

dave790
03-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Oasis.

ha

mate_spawn_die
03-05-2008, 06:06 AM
pet shop boys
erasure
yaz (yazoo)
soft cell

Planetary
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
gangstarr

mickill
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Haha Good one! ^

While on the other hand, Savage Garden, ICP and pretty much every band you mentioned= ABSOLUTE GENIUSES.

abcdefz
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Joel doesn't deserve to tie the laces of "provocative."

Jiberish
03-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Ringo can play drums. Pretty well. He's not Bonham, he's not Moon, but he keeps a great groove. Listen to the Grey Album...all the drums are sampled from him.

Plus they didn't get famous until he joined the band. PLUS the voice of Wacko Warner, from the Animaniacs cartoon show is based on him. Plus he looks sort of like my Dad.

abcdefz
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
They also stayed together for a while because he quit.

Planetary
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
lol @ ICP

hpdrifter
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
lol @ ICP

Equally important in sucking.

MC Moot
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Blues Explosion
Daft Punk
Crystal Method
Chemical Brothers
Yo La Tengo
Guided By Voices
U2
Pearl Jam
Sonic Youth
R.E.M

*some drummers my be exchangeable at point of purchase*

:D

funk63
03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
what bands are there where each member isnt equally important?:confused:

taquitos
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
like, all of them. "equally" is the key word

jabumbo
03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
yeah, i don't see how equally important and equally talented match up. just because the person is talented, doesnt mean he/she is the face of the group.

i'd think equally important would be the band that any old fan can spout off one members name with just as much ease as all the rest

funk63
03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
like The Blue Man Group? sumthing to that effect

hitmonlee
03-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Ringo can play drums. Pretty well. He's not Bonham, he's not Moon, but he keeps a great groove. Listen to the Grey Album...all the drums are sampled from him.

Plus they didn't get famous until he joined the band. PLUS the voice of Wacko Warner, from the Animaniacs cartoon show is based on him. Plus he looks sort of like my Dad.

don't forget thomas the tank engine.

what bands are there where each member isnt equally important?:confused:

er, how about every single band that broke up when the lead singer/guitarist died/quit/had a hissy fit. or the ones that stayed together with moderate success

mickill
03-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah because I also like the ying yang twins LMAO

Say what you want about ICP but leave Savage Garden out of this!

Wow, you really just have AWESOME TASTE in music.

mickill
03-06-2008, 11:07 AM
AWESOME

Planetary
03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Equally important in sucking.

Ahh of course.