PDA

View Full Version : NAS - WHAT IT IS

mickill
02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
The rapping is nothing special, but the beat is almost up there with Made You Look.

DJ Khalil (http://chesing.blogspot.com/2008/02/nas-first-listen-track-from-nigger.html) playing the song and talking about how he did the beat.

roosta
02-24-2008, 04:54 AM
great beat.

adam_f
02-24-2008, 03:05 PM
The fact the headline says "Nas- First Listen New Track off Nigger!!" made me laugh.

Kid Presentable
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
*Folds arms*

*nods*

checkyourprez
02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
i really like that. hopefully the rest of the album sounds something like that.

but im pretty sure there will be a couple bangers and a bunch of garbage, like always.

Auton
02-25-2008, 04:00 PM
hahaha he made it on reason. hahahaha. reason. haha.
but hey it sounds good, so that's what counts. (y)

that sounds pretentious as hell of me- you can do some really cool things on reason, but 90% of the time you can tell was made on it. so i find it all the more impressive that his shit sounds that great coming from it.

Kid Presentable
02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
There's some corny motherfuckers nodding in that crowd. I sometimes nod, but not like that. Even the old dude off to the side is having a wee go. Baby steps, though.

Auton, there's a Reason logo on the top of the screen. Is it a big deal in producing circles? I'm not familiar with this shit. Did the Beastie Boys make
good use of it? Is it the joke software? If you answer, I'll be careful to nod.

Miho
02-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Cool song. This would be Nas' tenth studio album. That's a lot of music, looking back.

Auton
02-26-2008, 01:27 AM
reason is a little synthesizer/sampling/sequencing program that runs about $400. it's kind of a toy program. when i was in high school and around that general age everybody who made beats and stuff or thought they were hot shit were all like "yeah man, i use reason" acting like it was what the pros use, like a pro version of fruityloops or something. i bought it a couple of years ago, and i still use it when i'm making demos and stuff, basically for the midi, but the fact of the matter is it's really like a toy. it even sounds like plastic, literally. 95% of the times you can spot something made on reason about 1,000 miles away, because it has this instantly identifiable, somewhat (read: extremely) cheesy sort of sound. now, i won't say professionals don't use it- obviously they do, but again, as kind of a toy. kind of like using a karaoke machine for vocals or something. again, alot of people use reason, but its a really silly little program. i heard that To The 5 Burroughs was produced mostly on it. sounds like it. we make fun of it at the recording school alot, even though we all have owned a copy at some point, and most of us, including me, still use it every once in awhile. though i refuse to use midi on any of my real stuff.

point is, you can use retarded little programs like reason to do amazing thing- it isn't the program that matters, it's the person using it. i mean, i'm on protools, but i still use acid 5.0, which is a low-grade program, but i'm comfortable on it, and i can make things that sound good on it. so, more power to people who can do shit like that on reason- i just kind of LOL pompously to myself whenever some kid acts like they're the shit because they use REEASSONNNN.

and fruityloops is still better.

Kid Presentable
02-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Cheers. I did actually nod while reading that. (y)

mickill
02-26-2008, 04:21 AM
reason is a little synthesizer/sampling/sequencing program that runs about $400. it's kind of a toy program. when i was in high school and around that general age everybody who made beats and stuff or thought they were hot shit were all like "yeah man, i use reason" acting like it was what the pros use, like a pro version of fruityloops or something. i bought it a couple of years ago, and i still use it when i'm making demos and stuff, basically for the midi, but the fact of the matter is it's really like a toy. it even sounds like plastic, literally. 95% of the times you can spot something made on reason about 1,000 miles away, because it has this instantly identifiable, somewhat (read: extremely) cheesy sort of sound. now, i won't say professionals don't use it- obviously they do, but again, as kind of a toy. kind of like using a karaoke machine for vocals or something. again, alot of people use reason, but its a really silly little program. i heard that To The 5 Burroughs was produced mostly on it. sounds like it. we make fun of it at the recording school alot, even though we all have owned a copy at some point, and most of us, including me, still use it every once in awhile. though i refuse to use midi on any of my real stuff.

point is, you can use retarded little programs like reason to do amazing thing- it isn't the program that matters, it's the person using it. i mean, i'm on protools, but i still use acid 5.0, which is a low-grade program, but i'm comfortable on it, and i can make things that sound good on it. so, more power to people who can do shit like that on reason- i just kind of LOL pompously to myself whenever some kid acts like they're the shit because they use REEASSONNNN.

Glad you realized that your first comment came off a little on the pretentious side. I mean, you wouldn't have wanted for that to occur again in a second post or anything like that.

The beats for literally hundreds and thousands of classic songs were constructed on "toys" like Roland's TR series and E-mu SP 12/1200s. These weren't exactly ever considered sophisticated machines. Even for their time. Who cares what anybody uses, really? I mean, tons of producers have access to the latest and most advanced technology and still make wack ass beats all day long. Lil Jon doesn't need a 3 million dollar studio to make half of his shit.

And TT5B is a good example of how not to use Reason.

Planetary
02-26-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm gonna assume that your view on reason is based on Hip-Hop production, in which case i kind of agree. In my tracks i mainly use Cubase along with some VSTi's like Guru, Battery and a few synths, but a lot of the time i like to REwire reason through cubase just because it'll be able to do that thing or make that noise (whatever it may be) that i need. But yeah i rarely use it for more than, say, 20/30% of my tracks. For dance production though i'd say its one of, if not the, best. i know the chemical brothers used it a lot.

roosta
02-26-2008, 09:53 AM

then whats the point in mentioning reason / laughing in the first place?

Lex Diamonds
02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm gonna assume that your view on reason is based on Hip-Hop production, in which case i kind of agree. In my tracks i mainly use Cubase along with some VSTi's like Guru, Battery and a few synths, but a lot of the time i like to REwire reason through cubase just because it'll be able to do that thing or make that noise (whatever it may be) that i need. But yeah i rarely use it for more than, say, 20/30% of my tracks. For dance production though i'd say its one of, if not the, best. i know the chemical brothers used it a lot.
Wow, all the pretentious assholes are coming out of the woodwork.

How about you kiss 20/30% of my ass!

Planetary
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow, all the pretentious assholes are coming out of the woodwork.

How about you kiss 20/30% of my ass!

you couldn't fit 5% of it through my door, let alone 20/30%, fat ass.

Lex Diamonds
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Kiss my back door!

Auton
02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
wow, sorry for offending so many people because i think a midi program that i use is corny. why dont you all cry about it

Planetary
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
(I wasn't offended)

adam_f
02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I was offended and hope you get banned for blaspheming something I don't understand.

And blaspheming doesn't look like a real word to me, but who am I to play God?

Miho
02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Lets get back on topic. This new Nas song is off his new album, which is titled the N word. (I won't even type out the official title) I'm on the fence on this. I mean, if there will be an insightful theme on this album regarding the title, then that's alright with me, but if he's just doing it for shock value, or for marketing, then that's a shame. But since it's Nas, I have faith it's the former.

adam_f
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
G-mile won't get pissed if you type out the N word.

Miho
02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I would be pissed at myself for typing it out.

adam_f
02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
You're lame.

mickill
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm saying, I just wish that the beat for this song had been produced on an MPC or something, so I could dig it more.

I just hope that dude who produced it has a subscription to Wax Poetics, prays to Kool Herc regularly and was rocking a "J Dilla Changed My Life" t-shirt at the time. At the very least. Otherwise I just can't fux with this shit, man.

Auton
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
why the long face and the sandy vagina, mickill?

adam_f
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Why you gotta bring vaginas into this?

mickill
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Auton: "Golly, I sure am jazzed about this here beat! I heard that the gent that made it used something super cool and not lame to make it! Fantawesome!"

Lupe Fiasco: "Maybe you should lighten up."

Common: "Yeah, that's corny, my dude."

Kanye: "You soundin a bit arrogant, fam. HOLLA."

Auton: :(

Auton
02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
haha

Knuckles
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
was rocking a "J Dilla Changed My Life" t-shirt at the time.

I gots me one of those shirts down at the swap-meet. (y)

mickill
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I ended up getting a "Jermaine Dupri Changed My Life" shirt cos it was like half the price.

Knuckles
02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
That's so so def man.

g-mile7
02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I would be pissed at myself for typing it out.

I give you my blessing I know you mean know harm.

g-mile7
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
why the long face and the sandy vagina, mickill?

serious though I mean it is your opinion if you don't think it's that stellar of a program.

All I know is if DJ Khali uses Reason and 9th Wonder uses Fruity Loops then going off that flawed logic Fruity Loops must be better.

It's a decent track though, harder beat then the majority of beats on Hip-Hop is Dead, but I dont think its up there in the top 5 of hardest Nas beats, let alone 10.

Kid Presentable
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
It just sounded like a souped-up version of money over bullshit.

g-mile7
02-28-2008, 10:39 PM

it kind of does...

adam_f
03-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by g-mile7
I give you my blessing I know you mean know harm.

No, he totally did.

g-mile7
03-04-2008, 11:12 PM
No, he totally did.

then destory him my son

adam_f
03-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by g-mile7
then destory him my son

REGULATORRRRSSSSSSS! MOUNT UP!!!!!!!

mickill
03-06-2008, 04:44 AM
serious though I mean it is your opinion if you don't think it's that stellar of a program.

All I know is if DJ Khali uses Reason and 9th Wonder uses Fruity Loops then going off that flawed logic Fruity Loops must be better.

It's a decent track though, harder beat then the majority of beats on Hip-Hop is Dead, but I dont think its up there in the top 5 of hardest Nas beats, let alone 10.

And I say the brand of equipment is of minimal relevance when it comes to putting beats together as long as you have the basic tools and a little talent. The Beatles were doing way out shit over 40 years ago using tape reels and 4 track recorders that people to this day still have difficulty emulating.
So it sounds like an improved version of one the few impressive songs on Nas' last album. I don't necessarily agree, but that wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.

Kid Presentable
03-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes.

Lex Diamonds
03-07-2008, 04:46 AM
This beat sounds average and besides, the quality is far too poor to make a judgment.

mickill = the dude in the blue fitted

mickill
03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll be sure to adjust my opinion of the song to better match your valued input.

The Padster = the dude in the back offering free handjobs.

Lex Diamonds
03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow, criticising the person instead of the opinion.

You're just like a retarded child.

mickill
03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
No need to get all angry and emotional about it.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Especially you.

Lex Diamonds
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry bub, I can't tell what you're saying with your mouth all full of crayons.

Kid Presentable
03-08-2008, 01:42 AM
That exchange = Joe Budden

Lex Diamonds
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Gimme that beat, fool, it's a full time jack move.