PDA

View Full Version : that oscar-winning song from once.

na§tee
02-28-2008, 01:37 PM
2008 academy award winner falling slowly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc). (hmm, the oscar performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsS2Sp4L3U) is a bit cheesy with the whole additional orchestral music but good nonetheless)

oh my god, i think it is beautiful. i cannot stop crying : /. it is such a simple, sweet song. i normally don't like any of that "emotional damien rice-alike with a guitar" stuff but sweet jesus. i'm glad they won it over any of that shite from enchanted and the like.

and they fell in love on the set of the film. sweetness.

what are your favourite oscar winning songs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Original_Song)?

abcdefz
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
God, they so rarely get it right, too.

I loved Randy Newman winning for that piece of crap from Monster's Inc. He went up and pretty much admitted it, saying, "I don't want your pity."

He should've won for "She Loved Me" and the Avalon soundtrack.

Okay, I'm done.

hpdrifter
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't know, most of the time the stuff that gets nominated is in the vein of those songs from Enchanted. I can't stand it. ANyone got a quick link to recent Oscar song winners? I'll pick one.

YoungRemy
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know, most of the time the stuff that gets nominated is in the vein of those songs from Enchanted. I can't stand it. ANyone got a quick link to recent Oscar song winners? I'll pick one.

nastee provided the wikilink...

Things Have Changed from Wonderboys would be my recent favorite...

that reminds me, I need to cjeck out the Bob Dylan exhibit at the Skirball Cultural Center this weekend...

HEIRESS
03-04-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah, "things have changed" is good. was he even nominated for anything from the billy the kid movie soundtrack he did? I didnt see anything listed there.

other than that "streets of philadelphia" was a good win too.

all the disney crap thats been winning/nominated makes me wanna spew.

annnnnd I just wanted to state here Ive made a henry mancini mix cd before because im the hugest loser on the planet.

na§tee
03-04-2008, 04:16 AM
i saw the movie last night (free bafta screening dvds ftw) and it was so, so sweet and beautiful. please, make all your friends and family see it. steven spielberg said it was one of the most life-affirming films he had seen all year : o. you can't argue with that.

gorgeous music, makes you smile. not the ending i anticipated but awesome nonetheless. thumbs UP.

adam_f
03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by na§tee
oh my god, i think it is beautiful. i cannot stop crying : /. it is such a simple, sweet song. i normally don't like any of that "emotional damien rice-alike with a guitar" stuff but sweet jesus.

God, you're so gay.

na§tee
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
er, what's your problem? whatever, eh. you said exactly the same thing to ET recently and dayum, he and i together are like hetero to the power of 10. but not really.

in other news, glen hansard (the guy from the film) was in the committments, if anyone thinks his ginger face looks familiar. he's also in an irish band called the frames who do various covers of pop songs without sounding too saccharine.

9 to 5 is a fantastic movie song, too. go dolly go go go. too bad she was up against FAME. nae chance.

abcdefz
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah, "things have changed" is good. was he even nominated for anything from the billy the kid movie soundtrack he did? I didnt see anything listed there.

Billy they don't wantcha to be so freeeeeeeeee

adam_f
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by na§tee
er, what's your problem? whatever, eh. you said exactly the same thing to ET recently and dayum, he and i together are like hetero to the power of 10. but not really.

That's right you're together...gay.

I'm in a bad mood.

abcdefz
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Can't believe Cheek to Cheek didn't win.

"I'm Easy" is a good song in a great movie.

You can't really argue with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

hpdrifter
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Theme from Shaft, hands down.

abcdefz
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Why "Big Bottoms" wasn't nominated, I'll never know.

Caribou
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
in other news, glen hansard (the guy from the film) was in the committments, if anyone thinks his ginger face looks familiar. he's also in an irish band called the frames who do various covers of pop songs without sounding too saccharine.

Eh, The Frames arn't a coverband. :s

The song you mentioned above, 'falling slowly' is from their album 'The Cost' btw. They're awesome, I've seen them live last year. <3 Glen Hansard is a very very charming and funny man.

If you want to check an awesome liveshow of theirs, go to www.fabchannel.com and search for The Frames. At one point they do a cover of 'No Woman No Cry'. Superb. (y)