PDA

View Full Version : Question re the primaries

trailerprincess
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Do you have to be a card carrying member of the party to vote in the primaries or is it open to all?

Thanks

H

QueenAdrock
03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
It differs from state to state. Maryland says you have to be in the party you're voting for, but not all are run that way.

Which state do you want to know about?

trailerprincess
03-05-2008, 03:58 AM
None in particular, I was just wondering how it worked. Thanks!

alien autopsy
03-05-2008, 08:39 AM
anyone see nader on daily show last night??

he mentioned (nader) once you register to vote for a candidate in the primaries, it is illegal to sign for a third party candidate to get him/her on to the ballot...he mentioned several other things, and i imagine there are lots more, that make it really difficult for third parties to get in on the race.

democracy aint what its cracked up to be.

i think we should be able to vote for whoever we want, not have to register under a party. anyone should be allowed to run and gather a reasonable amount of signatures, afterall, its their own fundraising and money they are using, right? it makes me sick the amount of bullying, media favoritism, "bi-partisanship" crap that goes on during election time. cant we all just get along...with our democracy!!

abcdefz
03-05-2008, 10:26 AM
It differs from state to state. Maryland says you have to be in the party you're voting for, but not all are run that way.

Yeah. Like, I'm "not declared" in California which means I could choose to vote in the Democratic primary (or some of the independents) but not the Republican.