PDA

View Full Version : La Coka Nostra - That's Coke

Kid Presentable
03-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Odd as hell that House of Pain are technically back together, with part of Non-Phixion stapled to their forehead. More power to all of these guys, I guess.

I like it, but that says fuck all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVf_yrq6Q0)

checkyourprez
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
is ill bill and b-real in there?

i always thought they were in la coka.

Rip Round'n Roc
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
looks like a dude lebowski gangster video

checkyourprez
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
judging by ill bill wearing an ill bill hat in the vid, i would say yes to my above comment.

but its a pretty dope beat. and the rappings what it is. id give it a (y)

Kid Presentable
03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
It smacks of that whole DJ Lethal 'Same as it Ever Was' sound a bit. It's fun for what it is, though.

roosta
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Nice sound, but im sick to death of macho thug drug rap. Especially white boy macho thug drug rap.

Plus Everlast is some cunt.

checkyourprez
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Nice sound, but im sick to death of macho thug drug rap. Especially white boy macho thug drug rap.

everlast is goooood.

Auton
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM

ditto on all fronts

pshabi
03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Beat is a rip off of Jay Z - You don't know

mickill
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't call it a "rip off". They used the same Bobby Byrd sample, but completely differently.

Videodrome
03-17-2008, 06:59 PM
i'm feeling it.

pshabi
03-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't call it a "rip off". They used the same Bobby Byrd sample, but completely differently.

I wouldn't call it "completely differently," but I get your point. My point is, I'm sick of rehashing beats. Even if they ill beats.

cubsfirstplace
03-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Beat is a rip off of Jay Z - You don't know

ya, i was thinking the same thing. i still like the song tho

Kid Presentable
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't call it "completely differently," but I get your point. My point is, I'm sick of rehashing beats. Even if they ill beats.

I wouldn't call it rehashing. It's re-interpreting, sure.

Hey roosta, of all the rapper hate out there, I've never heard anybody refer to Everlast as a cunt. I don't doubt you've got a valid reason, so I have to ask; how come? I'm not disagreeing with your call, it's just interesting to me. This isn't me disagreeing. I think you're probably right. I'm not disagreeing, just asking. Not disagreeing. It's not an argument.

mickill
03-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh, it's ON now. You just fucked up BIG TIME, kid.

"A coward diez a milion dethz but a souljah diez but once."
-Makaveli da Don
\/\/

The Notorious LOL
03-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I sometimes like Ill Bill, Everlast is hit and miss, and Slaine can go blow himself.

This group has yet to make a song that doesnt make me go "meh" and skip the track.

Kid Presentable
03-18-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't have any of their tracks.

Tzar
03-18-2008, 02:27 AM
is that jigga near the end? looks like his nose/mouth.

roosta
03-18-2008, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't call it rehashing. It's re-interpreting, sure.

Hey roosta, of all the rapper hate out there, I've never heard anybody refer to Everlast as a cunt. I don't doubt you've got a valid reason, so I have to ask; how come? I'm not disagreeing with your call, it's just interesting to me. This isn't me disagreeing. I think you're probably right. I'm not disagreeing, just asking. Not disagreeing. It's not an argument.

I think he's a bit of a joke and has spent his career changing his image to try and seem relevant.

I (like most Irish kids) used to like House of Pain back in the day, but very quickly they grew tiresome. (Jump Around however is still one of the best songs ever, fact.) It's annoying enough having people using Irish-ness as a gimmick, its worse when they take the worst elements of our culture (drink fueled thuggish patriotism) and use them. Not thats that all they were about, but it was enough to be off putting. He was making retarded political statements. Here was an American musician sticking his oar in about a very real and dangerous situation that was happening to real people. He was going round with "Sinn Fein" (a political partied linked to the IRA) tattooed on him while innocent people were getting shot and blown up.

Then when he milked that gimmick, he became some kind of honky-tonk country-blues old-man storyteller type. He then got a bunch of Grammys for that. Milked it, moved on.

Now hes a stick-up-kids, coke, gats, gang-culture thug drug rapper? He has said in interviews "Im not into hard drugs, heroin or coke or anything like that" yet he'll gleefully spout coke-rhymes. Of course, i know "Thats Coke" is just a funny play on their band name and "That's Dope" but its still laden with references to cocaine. THere whole image is. Its completely fake to me. Its not to say i dont listen to crime and drug referenced filled hip-hop, im a fan of Jay-Z, Nas etc. but theres something different about how they do it. They tell a story. Most of this stuff i hear is just rhyming couplets with vague, inane threats thrown in (blah, blah, 2 keys, i smash your face in faggot, blah). Again, i dont mind unconnected story-less rap either but when its just a vehicle for mindless thuggery its dull as ditchwater. Cocaine is stupid. Threatening to punch peoples face in is stupid. We have a mini-epidemic in Ireland with kids dropping like flies from coke, Its stupid. Maybe ive become a soft bastard, but really it just bores me.

Oh, he also seems to be on some Walter from The Big Lebowski tip.

Finally, he converted to Islam. Now, ive no reason to believe this isn't sincere. But usually people who convert to a religion (especially a religion like Islam) are alot more pious. But here he is talking bout shotguns, kidnapping and smashing people's faces in. Oh, and coke.

I have to say tho "some cunt" probably looks alot harsher than it is. Its a saying round our way, almost like "he's some boy" as in "he's something else".

Kid Presentable
03-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Well played. If you ever heard Syndicate Soldier you'd probably hate him even more. Is there any way (legitimate question) that one can tattoo Sinn Fein (correct me if I'm confused; it's 'We Ourselves' or 'Ourselves Alone', right?) on their body without it linking back to the IRA? Is it always going to be linked to the party?

The idiotic coke rhymes thing is right, but it's a bit idiosyncratic, too. It's like how Ghost always whines, or Jigga always talks about himself and his money. M.I.A raps about Allah on the same album as all of those gunshots. Isn't Ghost a convert of Islam? Meh.

Probably seems like I'm talking shit. Cheers for a quality response.

Just trying to separate the music from the artist and vice versa; this song is sort of retarded fun in the same way hair-metal was.

checkyourprez
03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
I think he's a bit of a joke and has spent his career changing his image to try and seem relevant.

I (like most Irish kids) used to like House of Pain back in the day, but very quickly they grew tiresome. (Jump Around however is still one of the best songs ever, fact.) It's annoying enough having people using Irish-ness as a gimmick, its worse when they take the worst elements of our culture (drink fueled thuggish patriotism) and use them. Not thats that all they were about, but it was enough to be off putting. He was making retarded political statements. Here was an American musician sticking his oar in about a very real and dangerous situation that was happening to real people. He was going round with "Sinn Fein" (a political partied linked to the IRA) tattooed on him while innocent people were getting shot and blown up.

Then when he milked that gimmick, he became some kind of honky-tonk country-blues old-man storyteller type. He then got a bunch of Grammys for that. Milked it, moved on.

Now hes a stick-up-kids, coke, gats, gang-culture thug drug rapper? He has said in interviews "Im not into hard drugs, heroin or coke or anything like that" yet he'll gleefully spout coke-rhymes. Of course, i know "Thats Coke" is just a funny play on their band name and "That's Dope" but its still laden with references to cocaine. THere whole image is. Its completely fake to me. Its not to say i dont listen to crime and drug referenced filled hip-hop, im a fan of Jay-Z, Nas etc. but theres something different about how they do it. They tell a story. Most of this stuff i hear is just rhyming couplets with vague, inane threats thrown in (blah, blah, 2 keys, i smash your face in faggot, blah). Again, i dont mind unconnected story-less rap either but when its just a vehicle for mindless thuggery its dull as ditchwater. Cocaine is stupid. Threatening to punch peoples face in is stupid. We have a mini-epidemic in Ireland with kids dropping like flies from coke, Its stupid. Maybe ive become a soft bastard, but really it just bores me.

Oh, he also seems to be on some Walter from The Big Lebowski tip.

Finally, he converted to Islam. Now, ive no reason to believe this isn't sincere. But usually people who convert to a religion (especially a religion like Islam) are alot more pious. But here he is talking bout shotguns, kidnapping and smashing people's faces in. Oh, and coke.

I have to say tho "some cunt" probably looks alot harsher than it is. Its a saying round our way, almost like "he's some boy" as in "he's something else".

one thing about this. i never until recently (few years ago), actually took the time to listen to his solos (whitey ford sings the blues, eat at whiteys, ect). although they do have the "honkey tonkey country blues" songs on there, there is actually a good amount of rap on their as well. not to mention through the years he has guested on a lot of things (prince pauls solo, dj muggz solo, ect) where he is also still rapping.

this new bit of him on the more gangster tip i think is part trying to cash in on the coke rhymes theme thats popular at the moment, and also the fact that hes rapping with ill bill. and lets be honest, ill bill does not really diversify his bonds so to speak. so although i kinda see what your saying, he also has been steadily rapping since his house of pain days, and in some actually pretty good stuff.

but thats just from a music point of view. all the other stuff about the ira, and converting to islam and this and that is a different topic where i think i would find myself closer to your opinion.

roosta
03-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Well played. If you ever heard Syndicate Soldier you'd probably hate him even more. Is there any way (legitimate question) that one can tattoo Sinn Fein (correct me if I'm confused; it's 'We Ourselves' or 'Ourselves Alone', right?) on their body without it linking back to the IRA? Is it always going to be linked to the party?

Yup, thats what it means. But theres no way you can go round with that without it being political. "Sinn Fein" means the party, regardless of the root of the term.

The idiotic coke rhymes thing is right, but it's a bit idiosyncratic, too. It's like how Ghost always whines, or Jigga always talks about himself and his money. M.I.A raps about Allah on the same album as all of those gunshots. Isn't Ghost a convert of Islam? Meh.

In fairness, hes not the first and he wont be the last convert to Islam in hip-hop to be suspicious about. As you say, half the Wu claim to be muslims. But it just seems to jar when your put it in with all his other personality changes over the years.

Hypestyle
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
when will the album finally come out--

is Muggs co-producing?

I also want Everlast to put out a new solo album..

I want guests on these albums to include:

KRS-One
Nas
LL Cool J
Chuck D
Scarface
Eminem
Aesop Rock
Cypress Hill