PDA

View Full Version : But more importantly: THE RACONTEURS have a new album

abcdefz
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Hell, I didn't even know they were recording!

Consolers of the Lonely (http://www.avclub.com/content/music/the_raconteurs)

Guy Incognito
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I have only heard the first album a coupla times but i have to say that if there was no white stripes connection with this band then nobody would be talking about them or buying their records - its mediocre imo.

abcdefz
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I've got a friend who doesn't like the Stripes but liked the Raconteurs' album enough to buy it...

Guy Incognito
03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I've got a friend who doesn't like the Stripes but liked the Raconteurs' album enough to buy it...

ok but that sort of illustrates my point in that they are
not as good, edgy or different as the white stripes. I just dont think there would be as much hoo ha with out the "white" connection and would be regarded as mediocre by the music media but because jack white's on board they are celebrated a bit too much.

b-grrrlie
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
It was quite a surprise for me too to hear it had come out and Apple had made it
available on iTunes or somewhere a couple of days before it was supposed to come out.
I'm looking forward to hear it as I love the first album.

checkyourprez
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
i think people may be more inclined to know who they are, or listen to them when they normally would not.

but at the same time i dont think the white stripe connection would necessarily influence people to like them anymore than they normaly would. atleast that is the case with me, i like them because i think the music is good not because jack white is in both bands. (especially compaired to what else comes out these days)

Rock
03-26-2008, 05:05 PM

I'm not really into the White Stripes except for a song or two. But I listen to The Raconteurs album more than I thought I did...the first one. I'll get the second one. No doubt.

TurdBerglar
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
i like the raconteurs

hate the white stripes

the white strpies are nothing but big loud gimmick

the raconteurs actually make music for the sake of making music a whole lot more than the white stripes

Waus
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Both bands have different merits.

The White Stripes had some varied stuff from album to album and this is only the second release from the Raconteurs. White Stripes stuff is typically a "love it or hate it" sort of things, while the Raconteurs seem to make songs with broader appeal.

I dunno, I've seen both bands in concert - and honestly they're both great for different reasons.

b-grrrlie
03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
I like them both a lot, both live and on record. Maybe I enjoyed Raconteurs live more, cause they were more people on stage and they're more a rockband AND they played Bowie's It ain't easy!

Miho
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Just listened to the The Raconteurs on their MySpace page, and I like what I hear. Never liked The White Stripes.

Miho
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Now a big fan of Raconteurs. Everyone get this album. It rocks hard. Been playing "You Don't Understand Me" a lot.

TurdBerglar
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
there's some moments where it's a bit too wacky. but overall it's good

mate_spawn_die
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
jack and patrick's (bassist and drummer of the raconteurs) other band is better than the white stripes and raconteurs combined.

long live the greenhornes (http://www.myspace.com/thegreenhornes)

Miho
04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes! This song is excellent. It's not from Consolers of the Lonely, but their debut album, Broken Boy Soldiers; it's titled "Yellow Sun". It's so good. I like the recording techniques they used.

EDIT: You're making me hungry~ You're making me hungry~ But what's really funny it's not sunny anymore~ <3 that chorus.

DroppinScience
04-02-2008, 05:00 PM

My dad's a bit of the same. He actually does enjoy White Stripes, but he really wishes there was a bass player. When they played here last summer, he then understood that they know how to pull it off sans bass.

But overall, he prefers The Raconteurs.

RobMoney$
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I got the Vinyl today and it's really quite a package.
This album leaked on the internet a couple weeks ago, but you need to get the vinyl to really appreciate it.

On an unrelated and more important note, The Black Crowes and Counting Crows also have new releases out.

Kid Presentable
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Big fan of the Raconteurs. I don't know why I bother defending Australia's backwardness; here they're called the Saboteurs because some shit band already uses the name. They got screwed by the Burger King legislation. Thank god that stage musical about gay cavemen never came out of Sydney.

Knuckles
04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm enjoying this album quite a bit. I think it is much better than the
White Stripe's last effort, Icky Thump. Jack has done about all he can with The White Stripes.

abcdefz
04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think I'd ever count them out.

DroppinScience
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I popped on the CD today. Fuckin' awesome follow-up! I personally hope Jack White never quits with The White Stripes and/or The Raconteurs. Hell, I'd be down with him forming a third band if need be.

YoungRemy
08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
jesus lord.

i just discovered the Raconteurs.

i saw them at lollalaooza and am hooked...

yellow
08-21-2008, 04:51 AM
Hell, I didn't even know they were recording!

Consolers of the Lonely (http://www.avclub.com/content/music/the_raconteurs)

It is a great album. I saw them play at the 2008 weinie roast; and they were awesome. After the concert I went out and bought Consolers of the Lonely and it is still in my cd rotation

rirv
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
They've got nothing on Reg Dwight.