PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that R.E.M. has made another good album!?

abcdefz
03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I've read two very positive reviews so far: one in my local paper, one at AMG (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jzfpxzejldde), where they give it four out of five stars.

Wow. That would be great.

hpdrifter
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing them at Sasquatch. I've never been a huge fan but enjoy many of their songs.

abcdefz
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I didn't hop on for Chronic Town, but from Murmur on, they were a really big deal to me. I fell off after Monster -- not because I disliked
the album, just because of my life at that time.

Saw them in Bloomington on the Lifes [sic] Rich Pageant tour. Met them by chance in a bar in Louisville after a Steve Forbert show. (y)

Funky Pepp
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
No!

I heard two songs of the new album and those could have been on any other album of REM - which is not too bad but just a little boring.

And I think Michael Stipe sang nicer melodies on the older albums...

So, I think the new album is more MEH!

afronaut
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Murmur and Automatic for the People are pretty perfect. I really don't seem to like R.E.M. in full on rock mode though. I mean, Reckoning and Life's Rich Pageant are good albums, but when they rock out, they seem to lose that mysterious, majestic quality that defines their best work. I think Murmur is probably the perfect equilibrium between the rock and post punk influences and the folk influence. And Automatic for the People is just a great artsy folk rock album. R.E.M. just aren't a rock band to me. If I'm in the mood to rock out, R.E.M. are probably the last band I'll turn to.

The current single I hear on the radio is catchy enough, and I'll turn it up, but it's definitely not enough to make me buy the album.

abcdefz
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Lifes Rich Pageant is my favorite album of theirs.

Sounds like you might be a good Fables of the Reconstruction candidate, afronaut.

afronaut
03-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Haven't made my way around to that one yet. I think I've stayed away from it because it has a really stupid looking album cover, but the description sounds pretty interesting. I'll be sure to check it out.

abcdefz
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
It's got great songs and a great murky feel to it. The band was thinking they should break up, each member kept going to the producer asking
him to mix their part lower, etc.

"Wendel Gee" may well be the most beautiful song they've ever made. I got a chill right now just thinking of it.

b-grrrlie
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Someone sent me the album a week ago, and the little I've listened to it it sounds really good, better than the effort before that.

MC Moot
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
It's only 36 minutes long,not sure that it qualify's as an album...:rolleyes:

mathcart
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
No!
:)

abcdefz
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
It's only 36 minutes long,not sure that it qualify's as an album...:rolleyes:

I think more than one of the Beatles clocked in at under half an hour.

I had an Angry Samoans record once that was something like 17 minutes. That kinda pissed me off.

DroppinScience
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I dunno, I think people have unfairly slagged R.E.M.'s post-Bill Berry years. I really liked "Up" and "Reveal" was actually a very nice mellow record. "Around the Sun" failed to impress, I do admit. But people actually feeling positive about a new R.E.M. album is enough for me to get hopeful.