PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate to charities?

Kid Presentable
04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I haven't for a while. The only things I tend to donate to are women's shelters and RSPCA.

hpdrifter
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, why?

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Not many, but yeah.

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Every day...by choosing to work for a not for profit I take a 15-20% pay cut on what my skills could earn me in the public school system or the private sector...I also give 3% off every paycheque to the United Way....and by way of donation I give time to 3 sister agency's...may sound cliche,but it's really rewarding,you just feel good about contributing...so much to be learned from the experience...(y)

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I did the non-profit thing for about 12 years. I pretty much was scraping by all that time and have zero retirement because I'm still paying off debt.

Some thanks.

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I haven't for a while. The only things I tend to donate to are women's shelters and RSPCA.

I've thought about volunteering with the S.P.C.A or the Meow Foundation here...you can go in and just provide attention to the cat's and dogs,brush them,pet them,give a little love...but I think it'd be too depressing...and I end up with a house full of cat's...

Dorothy Wood
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
last year I donated art and it made $275 for the charity. that's the biggest thing I've done. not so much.

Guy Incognito
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I prefer to give stuff to oxfam or whatever. stuff i dont need anymore that they can sell. I just prefer to do that than give cash as i always think my cash will go towards an over ordered batch of pens that lie in a stationery cupboard for years. Its not that i dont trust the charity to apportion the money correctly it just gives me piece of mind. I dont know if that makes me a twat or not.
I will always have a go in a charity raffle or whatever if there is a chance of me winning a prize. Everyone's a winner that way.

hpdrifter
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I've thought about volunteering with the S.P.C.A or the Meow Foundation here...you can go in and just provide attention to the cat's and dogs,brush them,pet them,give a little love...but I think it'd be too depressing...and I end up with a house full of cat's...

I volunteered at Seattle Animal Shelter for 4 years. I am the same way about animals but I recommend helping out anyway. The animals really need it and after awhile (I hate to say it) you get used to it.

I did end up with 4 bunnies, though.

The Notorious LOL
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
We registered to volunteer for the North Minneapolis Meals on Wheels program. Its underfunded and because a lot of North Minneapolis is high crime (as in postal workers have been robbed in broad daylight), its hard for them to find volunteers. We havent actually moved forward with it yet.

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I prefer to give stuff to oxfam or whatever. stuff i dont need anymore that they can sell. I just prefer to do that than give cash as i always think my cash will go towards an over ordered batch of pens that lie in a stationery cupboard for years. Its not that i dont trust the charity to apportion the money correctly it just gives me piece of mind. I dont know if that makes me a twat or not.

No it's a totally legit sentiment....I totally recommend investigating any organization you feel is worthy of your contribution…particularly taking a look at what the board of directors for said organizations are paying themselves and what percentage of your dollar is consumed by administration expenditures as opposed to what cut get’s to the end recipient…(y)

na§tee
04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
the Meow Foundation
awesome. best name ever!

when i first arrived in glasgow aged 18 to go to university of course all the charity people were lined down the main street in the west end ready to collect undergraduate bank details. i couldn't say no to anyone, so by the end of the first week i was signed up for four different direct debits giving varying amounts of money to charities i didn't really have much knowledge about or interest in.

i couldn't afford it come 7 months in, so i had to cancel them. now the charity peeps warn that if you do this it actually costs them more money to deal with your cancellation than what you may have contributed. eek.

so like guy i prefer to just give my stuff to charity shops, but eh. does that really count? i mean, i wouldn't ever just throw old clothes in the bin.

i've approached the glasgow women's library with an eye for volunteering with my library skills and what not, but what i really want to do is work with their adult literacy project. but to be able to tutor these women i have to put myself on a recognised adult literacy course. and to do that i need some money. money i don't really have at the moment. so, eh.

in conclusion: uh, not really.

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I did end up with 4 bunnies, though.

:D

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
awesome. best name ever!.

Yeah!...they're are the only "non-kill" shelter in town...

http://www.meowfoundation.com/bins/home.asp

hpdrifter
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a problem with boundaries when it comes to donating to animal rescue groups. I might as well just give them my debit card and pin number.

gbsuey
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
wierd i was just thinking about this today-i do have two direct debits-wwf(world wildlife fund) and nspcc(prevention of cruelty to children) and pretty much always donate some money for appeals when they hit-i do wonder a lot if the money actually gets where it needs to be but i'm a soft touch. also love charity shops!!

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Dear Thread,

The A-Z Disproportionate Sense of Privilege Society needs your help.

Our sushi, music, film, theater, literature, hockey, clothing, and alcohol budgets are all woefully underfunded.

But you can help!

That's right. Send your donations immediately to:

A.D.S.P.S.
San José CA

Thank you for your continued patronage! God save A-Z!

na§tee
04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
well, a couple of weeks ago remember i said i thought i had found the cheapest bottle of wine in glasgow? shit was £2.79 (really cheap here at least) that's my alcohol budget. you can have it.

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
We've got Two Buck Chuck, here. Supposed to be all right, but I haven't tried it.

kaiser soze
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I give the belongings I don't need to the Humane Shelter thrift store, they will be getting a boatload this next move.

Funny thing happened last time I was there. My current girlfriend and I were poking around and I saw some pottery that looked like my ex's. I picked it up and it was!!

Talk about awkward....my ex is from Buffalo and I live on the other side of N.Y. state now!

My sister donated what she was given

cookiepuss
04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
We've got Two Buck Chuck, here. Supposed to be all right, but I haven't tried it.

for the price, Charles Shaw (two buck Chuck) is very decent.

certainly better than other wines in that price category.

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I want to believe.

-- but I wind up with the horrible taste of Mogan David in my mouth. That was my parent's wine, when they ever had some. (n)

MC Moot
04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Dear Thread,

The A-Z Disproportionate Sense of Privilege Society needs your help.

Our sushi, music, film, theater, literature, hockey, clothing, and alcohol budgets are all woefully underfunded.

But you can help!

That's right. Send your donations immediately to:

A.D.S.P.S.
San José CA

Thank you for your continued patronage! God save A-Z!

*Cancels cheque to Muscular Dystrophy Association,redirects to the benevolent society of A-Z support network...Jerry Lewis is gonna be pissed,forwards A-Z's home number to him*

abcdefz
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
*Cancels cheque to Muscular Dystrophy Association,redirects to the benevolent society of A-Z support network...Jerry Lewis is gonna be pissed,forwards A-Z's home number to him*

heh heh heh I never answer my phone (y)

YoungRemy
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
The Lymphoma and Leukemia Society and VH1 Save the Music have received my tax deductible donations...

HEIRESS
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
This year, and probably in all upcoming xmas seasons Ill be giving $250 bucks to the local mens shelter in my city because its a place my uncle turned to when he lived here when he got so far gone in his addictions/homelessness that he wouldnt turn to us for help anymore.

its also a good way out of giving out money to people on the street, I just say "I donate yearly to the shelter, sorry dude"

ms.peachy
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, Medecins Sans Frontieres, because I am just completely in awe of that level of commitment, skill and bravery.

funk63
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
im volunteering for the Obama joint on 4th st does that count.

silence7
04-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Blood Bank (Does that count)
Toys for Tots
Our last contest (http://www.beastiemixes.com/contest3.php), the winner got $150 donated in his name to the Make-A-Wish foundation.

I always give the local winos a couple bucks, my girl always gets pissed at me, so I give them less when she's with me. I feel I'm pretty good at spotting the one's who really need it versus the ones who are faking, but you never really know...

S7

b-grrrlie
04-11-2008, 03:51 AM
I very rarely give money to charities, except when I have a steady income, which ain't these days again...
except I'm paying 100,- SEK a month for building schools and schooling Tibetan children in northern India, done that for over 10 years now.

I give stuff to charities and buy loads of stuff from their shops.

When the tsunami hit five years ago I gave loads and loads of food, building material, blankets, towels and stuff to send to Sri Lanka
as Red Cross had arranged a well organized collection.

And I donate blood, but guess that's not really a charity.

camo
04-11-2008, 03:55 AM
I have a monthly direct debit set up with cancer research (y)

trailerprincess
04-11-2008, 04:06 AM
I have money going to Oxfam and Shelter every month and also support the Free Tibet campaign and Amnesty International. Probably gave a hundred to comic relief this year and then another hundred or so on other sponsorship things. When I've moved and life is a bit more settled think I'll try and sponsor a child.