PDA

View Full Version : HNN Poll: 61% of Historians Rate the Bush Presidency Worst

yeahwho
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Heres the link (http://hnn.us/articles/48916.html).

Heres some tidbits from the link;

This first one is from Bush himself,

As far as history goes and all of these quotes about people trying to guess what the history of the Bush administration is going to be, you know, I take great comfort in knowing that they don’t know what they are talking about, because history takes a long time for us to reach.”— George W. Bush, Fox News Sunday, Feb10, 2008

and here are a few bits from the historians themselves;

In an informal survey of 109 professional historians conducted over a three-week period through the History News Network, 98.2 percent assessed the presidency of Mr. Bush to be a failure while 1.8 percent classified it as a success

The reason for the hesitancy some historians had in categorizing the Bush presidency as the worst ever, which led them to place it instead in the “nearly the worst” group, was well expressed by another historian who said, “It is a bit too early to judge whether Bush's presidency is the worst ever, though it certainly has a shot to take the title. Without a doubt, it is among the worst.”

Four years ago I rated George W. Bush’s presidency as the second worst, a bit above that of James Buchanan. Now, however, like so many other professional historians, I see the administration of the second Bush as clearly the worst in our history. My reasons are similar to those cited by other historians: In the wake of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the United States enjoyed enormous support around the world. President Bush squandered that goodwill by taking the country into an unnecessary war of choice and misleading the American people to gain support for that war. And he failed utterly to have a plan to deal with Iraq after the invasion. He further undermined the international reputation of the United States by justifying torture.

So here we are, obviously reinforcing what we already knowto be and what millions of Americans witness everyday, The president of the United States running Country into the fucking ground.
An unscientific poll of professional historians completed the same week produced results far worse for a president clinging to the hope that history will someday take a kinder view of his presidency than does contemporary public opinion.

In an informal survey of 109 professional historians conducted over a three-week period through the History News Network, 98.2 percent assessed the presidency of Mr. Bush to be a failure while 1.8 percent classified it as a success.

abcdefz
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Only 61%? Is that a quorum?

Miho
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
No surprise there. It should be 100%, rightfully.

DroppinScience
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
It really IS tough to think of Presidents who were worse, but then again, none of us were alive to experience Harding or Fillmore. And it is quite sad that Bush makes the years of Nixon or even Reagan (not to mention Bush I!) look good.

yeahwho
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
It really IS tough to think of Presidents who were worse, but then again, none of us were alive to experience Harding or Fillmore. And it is quite sad that Bush makes the years of Nixon or even Reagan (not to mention Bush I!) look good.

I think we gave this guy a free pass after 9/11, he managed to abuse it and his power so incredibly bad that now people are dying daily in a non-provoked war even the democrats went along with (http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/11/iraq.us/).

Even so, the blame goes directly on his demented leadership. Truly a twisted human. They should put a Decal of his face on every gas pump just to remind everybody of how this country got so fucked up, his face right up there with the local tax and emission hazard warnings...

EarlsJims
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
He still has 9 months left. There's lots of "hard work to be done" he would say.

Let's see how he does with the Iran war before we make any final judgments.