PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know anyone that's had a brain aneuryism?

ericlee
04-15-2008, 12:32 AM
I just got a call from one of my friends saying that my pal is in the hospital from one last night.

He's not in good shape and I knew someone who died from one.

I've never heard of anything good coming out of those. I think I need to take some time off and go home and visit.

This is the second bad happening of friends within a month's time. Is this crap
going to stop anytime soon?

mikizee
04-15-2008, 04:48 AM
Thats effed man.

I knew someone who had an aneuryism. They were dead before they hit the ground.

Your friend is VERY lucky. Hopefully he pulls though ok. I'll be thinking of him, and you.

ericlee
04-15-2008, 09:52 AM
he's in ICU and non responsive. From what I've heard so far is that if people pull through, the results are very much like after having a stroke.

abcdefz
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
That pretty fucking awful. I'm sorry to read it.

mikizee
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
he's in ICU and non responsive. From what I've heard so far is that if people pull through, the results are very much like after having a stroke.

jesus....

Waus
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh wow. Yeah, anneurysms are bad. I knew a lady back when I was in highschool who had one. It was a lot like a stroke, and it took her a long time but I believe she recovered from it for the most part. It sounded like a really rough time though.

Sorry about your friend!

ms.peachy
04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
:( Sorry to hear about your friend. The only two people I know of who had this happen (acquaintances) both died pretty much instantly. I have to admit, this is one of my main 'irrational fears', as they were both reasonably healthy people in their late 30's - erm, like me. Freaks me out.

AceFace
04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
my Dr.s say i'm always in danger of having one. i have this weird condition where i hear my heartbeat in my ear. VERY loud sometimes. when it makes me dizzy, they start fearing for the worst.

for the life of them they can't seem to figure out why i have that so they just tagged this aneurysm thing on me to feel like they made some sort of diagnosis. i've had MRIs and everything and they can't find where it's coming from.

it can get scary sometimes, mostly b/c they can't explain it.

hpdrifter
04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Woah, sorry to hear this! I don't know much about it but it sounds very serious. I think you should try to get away and go home for a visit if you can.

Sorry ericlee, I'll keep you and your friend in my thoughts.

ms.peachy
04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
it can get scary sometimes

:( no shit, wow. Wow. That must be kinda stressful.

ericlee
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
the only person I know of that had one was this one girl who had a twin sister. She passed away when she was only 19.

And as peachy says, I'm worried about it myself. Age creeping up and all.

That's pretty scary Ace. Hopefully since they might think you can get one they can keep track and get rid of it. Keep having regular check ups.

I'll be going home over the weekend. I'm not looking foward to this but he needs all the company he could get. I hope he pulls out of it. He's got a wife and two daughters. He's only 33.

Dorothy Wood
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
my Dr.s say i'm always in danger of having one. i have this weird condition where i hear my heartbeat in my ear. VERY loud sometimes. when it makes me dizzy, they start fearing for the worst.

for the life of them they can't seem to figure out why i have that so they just tagged this aneurysm thing on me to feel like they made some sort of diagnosis. i've had MRIs and everything and they can't find where it's coming from.

it can get scary sometimes, mostly b/c they can't explain it.

hey, I saw this thing on 20/20 about a musician who's life sucked because he started hearing everything inside his body. doctors thought he was nuts, but they finally figured out that it was something wrong inside his ear...like he was born with a very thin-walled part, that eventually broke and began the symptoms. I can't find any specific details, but you should have the doctors look at your ear to see if there's something mechanically wrong with how it's functioning.

AceFace
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah, they've looked at my ears, tested them and whatnot and they say they don't see anything wrong. i think it's more stressful b/c there IS something wrong, but they've all kinda gave up on it and told me to be careful i might have an aneurysm.

how can i really be careful of that?

eric i don't mean to take away from your friend. it's a sad thing. i feel for you and i hope you can cope with this without too much difficulty.

*big hugs*

ericlee
04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
yeah, they've looked at my ears, tested them and whatnot and they say they don't see anything wrong. i think it's more stressful b/c there IS something wrong, but they've all kinda gave up on it and told me to be careful i might have an aneurysm.

how can i really be careful of that?

eric i don't mean to take away from your friend. it's a sad thing. i feel for you and i hope you can cope with this without too much difficulty.

*big hugs*

Don't worry about it. I'd say your situation is important and you're staying on subject.

I just got an update that he's doing better, he's aware of what happened and of his surroundings.

What happened was that it burst causing bleeding to the brain. He's having surgery tomorrow and they'll put a coil in it to drain it.

Thankfully he's in one of the best hospitals in Cleveland that specializes in this.

abcdefz
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, that's good news.

But if he retires from R.E.M. after this, I'll have to admit that I'm disappointed.

ericlee
04-24-2008, 12:25 AM
thank fucking god. He's still in ICU right now but just for security purposes due to the severity of what happened.

Other than that, he's capable of having daily basis bullshit conversations with you as normal, get up and walk about as normal and be the same person he was before the terrible happening.

It was a bad sight for his wife to walk in on when it initially happened. He said he was laying flat on the floor unconcious, blood everywhere coming from his ears.

His wife had to call the life flight which took him to Toledo and then another flight to Cleveland, where they specialize in aneuryisms.

After he had the coil put in his brain, he's fine. Best thing is, it had burst already. It's gone and that's the best part cause when people have them, half the time they dont even know they have them. He does know and it's gone.

He'll be getting his own room in two days and out of the hospital next week to go back home and tend to his family as normal.

This is amazing.

mikizee
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Absolutely terrific fantastic news.

ericlee
04-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Absolutely terrific fantastic news.

yeah and as you said, a person was dead before they hit the floor due to one. I know of only 3 people that have had one. 2 of the same situation you've mentioned and one was discovered too late and it caused some severe brain damage. So bad that he couldn't work a simple job and had to live off of just unemployment.

This guy, it ain't his time to go or function disabled. For the most part, kudos for his wife to catch him on time and for the life flight response time to get him where he needed to go. The first couple of hours are the most vital in this happening.

Thanks everyone for the support too. Yeah, you may not know him but you've helped and if you met him, youll never forget him.

Randetica
04-24-2008, 03:18 AM
awesome (y)

AceFace
04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
what mikizee said! i'm so happy he's alright!

ms.peachy
04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Wow, lucky fella. Tell him to buy you a lottery ticket.

ericlee
04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
haha, along with the blood they discovered him in, he also released some semen. He says if he were to die, at least he got a nut off.