PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's the 16th

AceFace
04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
i've kinda had a funny feeling in my tummy all day. anxiety. then i realized that tomorrow is the 16th and my tummy is REALLY anxious, now.

i live 30 mins from VA Tech. last year my husband was on his way up there to go to band practice and i remember freaking the fuck out trying to get in touch with him.

he calls me back and asks why i've been calling him so much and why 20 state troupers just flew bye him on the interstate. i'm so glad he decided to turn around and come home.

we spent the rest of the day worrying about my nephews and friends and family that all live up there and/or go to Tech.

i dread tomorrow.

hpdrifter
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
:(

Its natural after something traumatic like that. Hopefully you two can find some comfort in each other and your families.

jabumbo
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
i was down there last month and everyone there couldnt help but think about the whole thing as we were walking around on campus and such. like, which building was which and everything. it was a little weird...

does your husband go to school there?

cookiepuss
04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't beleive it's already been a year since that happened!:eek:

AceFace
04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
i was down there last month and everyone there couldnt help but think about the whole thing as we were walking around on campus and such. like, which building was which and everything. it was a little weird...

does your husband go to school there?

no, his bro lives up there and they have band practice at his place. his place is RIGHT off campus. i remember just hearing about people being taken out and wondering if this guy was going to wander the streets shooting. we actually just got back from blacksburg a second ago and it's really really quiet up there. everyone seems to be in thought.

QueenAdrock
04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I remember last year. I remember freaking out because my brother's undergrad roommate and good friend was doing his environmental engineering grad degree at V-Tech and no one could get in touch with him. I was worried he may have been in that Advanced Hydrology class, but luckily, he wasn't.

I only had about 10 friends at V-Tech last year, and they were all okay. I remember feeling terrible for those people who were desperately trying to get in touch with some of their friends, just to find out that they were on the list of the deceased the next day. :(

Cho's history has been studied in-depth, and that kid was FUCKED up. I remember being really scared because everyone thought, at first, that he was just a well-adjusted kid who snapped. They found out later that he was considered metally ill by law. What the fuck was he doing in school, and not in an institution? Maybe it has to do with his upbringing too; I know quite a few immigrant Asian parents place strong emphasis on doing well in school and being considered "normal," so perhaps that added to the problem. Maybe they didn't want to admit he was different and needed institutionalization/ medication? I dunno.

Anyways, RIP victims.

AceFace
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
hardly any national news coverage. :(

Yeti
04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
The county I work for is having a statement and moment of silence at 10:30 am. Every building will be getting the announcement and we have lots of office buildings spread out throughout the area. My 2 neighboring co-workers are Tech grads and the director of my media services dept is a Hokie.

AceFace
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
that's so nice! i've never been a sentimental kinda person, but boy did this tragedy really eff me up! it was so close to home. and i do consider blacksburg and tech as part of my home since i grew up in that area.

i'm glad to hear some businesses are acknowledging it.

Yeti
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
CNN has some coverage on the web and tv station.

I can remember being in North Texas with my son (an infant at the time) and seeing the intial crawl. I watched the coverage unfold the entire day. It was a very sad and shocking day.

My neighborhood is filled with Va Tech grads and flags everywhere.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/16/vt.one.year.later/index.html

AceFace
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
just talking to a friend and it reminded me about a call i got that day here in the office. i work for the VA Lutheran Bishop.

she was upset b/c all the phone lines were busy and she couldn't get in touch with her son to find out if he was ok. she called us b/c she was a lutheran and thought we could help. she was so upset. it was heartbreaking. all she wanted to do was find her son. the media was so news hungry, they were the ones tying up the phone lines. and all the hotels for like 50 miles around. insane.

we helped her find him. he was one of the kids in the closet that hid and didn't get hit.

hpdrifter
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow, that's so sad. I read some articles on it on the national news this morning, I actually didn't remember that so many people were killed. I thought it was 11 or 12 but it was 32. 32 people. Jesus.