PDA

View Full Version : Married People -

Waus
04-18-2008, 10:09 AM
How did you know when it was right? Please no advice about relationships, I just want to know when you knew you wanted to be with this person.

bigblu89
04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Like a specific moment?

I don't know if there really is that Chick Flick-esque "moment" in most relationships.

Eventually you just know.

ms.peachy
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, it's like blu said. There was no magic 'aha' moment; more of a slow dawning realisation that we were creating a life together that was good.

BangkokB
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM
When I was dead fucking broke and she stayed with me. I'm talking about not knowing where the next meal was coming from kinda broke. Christmas came but Santa didn't. That's when I knew she was my Gal. Because when the ship is sinking the rats get off 1st. I knew if she'd stick with me through that flagship of dismay then I had a life partner: Through the Thick and Thin of it.

Period

Waus
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, right, I wasn't really expecting a moment. More just, how was your relationship, what did you do to prepare.

Just looking for things to think about while I go through that process myself.

hpdrifter
04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Are you gonna propose? Awww.

Well for me there was a moment I knew I was in love for sure but I wasn't sure for a long time that I wanted to marry him even though I knew I was in love.

But over time it became obvious that we would be good life partners and were building something really great together.

Prepare? I'm not sure you can. Its hard for me to say because we did the two things that I think are the biggest tests for a couple before we got engaged. His son was born about two months before we started dating so we've been raising a child together (albeit not full time). We also bought a house before we were engaged.

Waus
04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of in a tough spot. I'm pretty much ready, but I don't have money for a ring yet. Also, the wedding would basically have to be this fall - which seems really soon to me - but there's really nothing I'm waiting for, our relationship is great.

My only reasons for wanting to postpone the marriage are irrational I think - so I was hoping to hear success stories etc. from other people.

BangkokB
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Come to BKK for your bachelor party.

You can party like a Greek God. But before that lose all your wedding $ on a table in Vegas. If she sticks with you through that then you've found a trooper

AceFace
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
i knew i wanted to marry matt for awhile. he had a personal time limit in his mind. we had to date 3 years before he'd ask. he didn't fess up to that until later after we were married.

i guess i felt matt was right when he agreed to get married in vegas and not have a huge wedding. it just made it feel right.

i want to tell you though, marriage is NOT easy. and it's hard to explain that. i love mine, but there are times when i don't think we'll ever make it. and we don't even argue much. marriage is full of happy times, but there are weird things that you're going to go through that you would never expect and are VERY hard to deal with. :/ i don't mean to be a downer.

Waus
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
i want to tell you though, marriage is NOT easy. and it's hard to explain that. i love mine, but there are times when i don't think we'll ever make it. and we don't even argue much. marriage is full of happy times, but there are weird things that you're going to go through that you would never expect and are VERY hard to deal with. :/ i don't mean to be a downer.

Yeah, I don't really have any disillusions about it being easy. I'm as prepared as a n00b can be for dealing with the inevitable issues.

Guy Incognito
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
i have known from pretty much day one that i was going to be with the missus. Too many signs to ignore really and she has said the same thing to me as well.
She's been married before and i got the feeling she didnt want to go thru all that rigmarole again and i was just happy cohabiting. We had been together 4 years at that point.
That changed when we went to this dead big wedding of one of my schoolfriends which was nice but totally opposite of what we thought was a good day and we were discussing how we would do it differently and i just asked her and she said yes.
We booked the registry office, told everyone, did our own invites in the form of a flyer! Had about 40 people round our house for a party and we were married. From when i asked her to the wedding day was just 6 weeks.

NoFenders
04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
How did you know when it was right? Please no advice about relationships, I just want to know when you knew you wanted to be with this person.

The summer of 88. I was hangin out at the neighborhood pizza joint, and saw two girls pull up in blue chevy. They got out and went in the pizza place. I went in to check'em out. I saw Kim right away, and said to myself, "I'm gonna marry that girl". I didn't see her again til the next year at school. I didn't even know her name at the time. One day at lunch, I noticed she was sitting next to a girl I knew, so I stopped by to make small talk. We were introduced, and went from there. We dated on and off for 13 years. Never really apart though. 6 years ago we got hitched, and it's been tough, but worth it.

So to answer your question, I knew the second I layed eyes on her that she was the one, I just needed time for myself to be the one for her.

:cool:

Dorothy Wood
04-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I wish there were more concrete answers given for a question like this.

I was chatting with some ladies the other day about my breakup and just dating in general and how the boys in our generation don't seem to want to settle down, and/or they're completely self-absorbed, or they have this magic idea of a woman they'd want to marry, but doesn't exist.

uff. I guess it's intangible.

Yetra Flam
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epriMrqo06M&feature=related

marsdaddy
04-19-2008, 12:24 AM
It was all very romantic.

I knew when I sat down with my financial planner and said, "I need your help because I want to buy a ring and pay off my debt before I get married." So we put that down on our short term goal list, and boom, in about 6 months, I bought the ring. The rest is history, present, and future.

Once we got married, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner, but all in all, it's working out pretty well.

Also, like BangkokB, when things have gone bad -- financially, emotionally, health-wise, or whatever -- I'm reminded that I'm one lucky dude.

milleson
04-19-2008, 10:11 AM
When the second pink line appeared.

QueenAdrock
04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
^hahahahaha