PDA

View Full Version : Could it happen?

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 04:56 AM
I know i'm not the most knowledgeable in either politics or u.s history ,and i'm in no way expressing an opinion, but i just find the idea of a black muslim getting to the white house a little hard to believe. I'm certainly not against the idea but i am just interested what other people thought-particularly as i don't live in the u.s so i don't know what feelings really are there.
hope i'm making sense! i just thought that with the whole "war on terror" charade having put muslims in a very bad light for a lot of people and considering it really wasn't that long ago that black people couldn't even sit on a bus with white people-has america moved on enough or would putting obama in the seat for the democrats be handing the vote to the republicans??
as i said,i'm just asking opinion!

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 05:19 AM
i just wanted to add that the reason i'm asking this is i heard some interviews with "everyday pensylvania folk" the other day and there were a few "not in my goddam lifetime" quotes being thrown about in reference to a black guy as president. i just wondered to what extent this attitude is apparent. Also there were people talking about his religion-is that an issue to a lot of people or not??

yeahwho
04-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Barack Obama the Presidential candidate is not a Muslim.

Sure, it's the will of the people. He's forthright, he's honest and has done more to get people thinking about how America can be than any other candidate. I'm voting for him.

AceFace
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
i just wanted to add that the reason i'm asking this is i heard some interviews with "everyday pensylvania folk" the other day and there were a few "not in my goddam lifetime" quotes being thrown about in reference to a black guy as president.

this is such a sad reaction. it bothers me so much that people would have a problem with a person only because of their race.

and as ^ said. Obama is not a muslim. if you've heard that then it's a media spin trying to discredit him.

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Holy Fuck-sorry to all! ok- i have no clue where i got that from then-told you i was not v. knowledgeable. yeah it is really sad that people would think differently about a fellow human because of their race.
he really seems to be inspiring a LOT of people.

abcdefz
04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
You could apply some logic, too. That controversy with his pastor at a Christian church...?

At. A. CHRISTIAN. Church...?

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 01:44 PM
You could apply some logic, too. That controversy with his pastor at a Christian church...?

At. A. CHRISTIAN. Church...?
seriously-i'm totally cringing about that-but to be fair i didn't hear about that incident. but i do feel v v v v v stoopid. actually now i am recalling having read about him being a christian-i think the muslim thing came from one of the interviewees who claimed he was a fundamentalist muslim and i just didn't think

abcdefz
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Go forth and sin no more.

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 01:46 PM
ok so now we've established i'm a total muppet,what are your views??

abcdefz
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
My office has no windows. :(

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
so look into your mind

abcdefz
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Now you sound like a hippie. :D

I probably know as little about politics as you protest that you do. But would we ever elect a black Muslim for president? Well -- why not?
We don't have any problem with Muslims -- we have a problem with Islamic extremists. Two hugely different things.

gbsuey
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
perhaps i am:)

i was hoping to forget the muslim thing-i just meant would the voting public in general be happy for a black president. and i totally get the difference between a muslim and an islamic fundamentalist
i was interested in some views from you guys in the u.s and if you'd had a sense of varied general opinion from other people-colleagues or whatever.
personally the fact he's black wouldn't matter to me so long as he stands for something decent-but i aint voting

abcdefz
04-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm sure there are some people who, on principle, would not vote for a black person. But I think we'll have a black president within a generation,
and I think it'll be in January.