PDA

View Full Version : Public Transport

ScarySquirrel
04-24-2008, 10:07 PM
I woke up this morning and decided to see what it would be like to use LA's public transport system all the way into work. To my surprise, it wasn't that big of a hassle... and (with these rising gas prices) I figure I can cut my budgeted allowance for getting around by a little less than half if I buy a monthly pass.

I got to read on my way into work, I wasn't the one who had to deal with traffic, and even though it took longer to get into work... it actually seemed like it didn't take as long because I got to do other things on the trip.

Half the ride really isn't that bad because I got to take the train (subway... whatever) and the other half I needed to jet on over to the bus to get where I needed to be. But even the bus wasn't that bad. So what's the big deal with people doggin' on public transport? I guess I want to hear some horror stories about your experiences on the bus/train/whatever. Or maybe, if you're so inclined, tell me all the good reasons why I should continue using this service.

I mean, I have to buy a pass (for the month of June) tomorrow if I'm gonna actually do it. I think this is one of those things I might just jump into without thinking it over too much and see how it works... then if not, I learned my lesson.

Oh, and spare me the crap about lowering my carbon footprint or whatever other earth saving advice there is. I'm not in it for that, I'm in it because I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't like these rising fuel prices and I'm looking to cut costs. Save the hippie bullshit, suckers.

Anyway... your thoughts?

abcdefz
04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
An effective public transit system is a huge blessing. (y)

It's harder to do in big sprawling cities, so if you can make it work, Squirrel, good for you. (y)

b i o n i c
04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
this is why i love living in nyc. subways get you everywhere and the busses fill in the little voids here and there. and they come often. last time i drove into manhattan i nearly busted an artery in my forehead with all the INSANE traffic and bullshit - it honesly makes you want to commit crimes its that bad. i literally hold on to garbage to use for throwing at other cars i get so mad.

even the meters are RIDICULOUS. that last time i paid $5 in quarters to park for an hour. What. The. Fuck.

public transportation all the way (y)

taquitos
04-25-2008, 09:38 AM
if only there were some type of rickshaw service...

hpdrifter
04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I lived in L.A. 10 years ago, I'm glad to hear its improving. When I was there is the busses are frequently late if they come at all (or actually stop where they're supposed to). But at that time there was no subway.

Problem with L.A. is that it is sprawling. And you can't get anywhere on just one bus for the most part, you have to transfer. I can't tell you how many times I got dropped in a horrible part of town and had to wait 30 minutes for the next bus. Of course, I went to USC so I lived in a horrible part of town anyway.

beastieangel01
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
it really, really depends on where you live. And even then, it can depend on where you are living at/location of your job.

San Diego was complete crap for public transport unless you lived and worked DIRECTLY on the trolley line and the chances of that being the case are slim to none.

Now I'm in the bay area and it's a breeze. Well, sans the whole BART not running past midnight-ish to get back to the east bay. But I'll be moving later this year in to the city and then things will be ridiculously easy compared to how I've had it in the past!

abcdefz
04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
But in the east bay, once you get east of Albany/Berkeley, it's shit again.

ScarySquirrel
04-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, to clarify my situation a little bit, I wouldn't say my trek to work is exactly as easy as hopping on a train and then getting on a bus.

To make it on time, I have to take one train (the purple line) to another train (the red line). Once I get at my stop on the red line, I have to go up to the street and catch the 750 Rapid bus (making sure it's just the westbound one and not the one stopping at the Warner Center) to the end of the line and then wait for the local 150 bus where I am, conveniently, dropped off right in front of work.

That makes a total of three transfers just one one leg of the trip. On the way back home, the Rapid bus (with fewer stops) doesn't even pick up where the 150 does... so my commute home is about 20 or 30 minutes longer because I basically have to stay on the 150 the whole way. But, I guess that's more reading time, right?

As for the LA transport system improving, I guess that's what a lot of people who have lived here for a long time are saying... but it still needs a lot of improvement. They really need to expand the railways and make the train a more viable option for more commuters. Right now the places it stops at aren't really of too much use for too many people without the bus transfers and its scope is severely limited anyway. But, hey, it works for me (for the most part) so what should I be complaining about?

MC Moot
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Wherever I travel to,I always make a point of using public transit,especially trains...it's a great insight into the areas culture/climate/condition...I'd love to spend the day riding around L.A with it's people...freaky and all...(y)

bigblu89
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
If there was a train stop somewhere near where I work, I would take it every day.

But the closest one is about 5 miles away, and the was the Long Island trains run, I'd have to travel about 45 minutes out of my way just to get back to where I work.

I do carpool to work with a friend that lives near me, so it's not as bad.

jabumbo
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
i had to bus it when i first started working before i got my car, and in some ways it was nice, and some not.

the biggest difference in my eyes was that it took me a solid 45 minutes commute each way as compared to the 10-15 minute drive. plus, if i had to stay 10-15 minutes late at work, then the busses were a lot more crowded and it made my commute closer to an hour which sucked when i was already late coming home to begin with.

oh, i should also mention that i still had my school bus pass that was valid a few weeks after i got my car.

but hey, if it doesnt bother you time wise and transfers, then the bus/train is definitely worth it

abcdefz
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
To me, two big pluses are:

I don't have to deal with traffic, insurance, maintenance, or gas prices. And, really, the chances of me getting in a wreck go way down,
let alone getting a traffic ticket;

It pretty much guarantees that I have reading time. (y)

b-grrrlie
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Here in Stockholm public transport is the way to go!
Even now when they're re-building the whole green subway line south bound my way (well after over 50 years
there's loads of need to repair, the line is closed for almost six months) there's buses instead
and even tho now I'm working in the city, travelling during rush hours it's still the quickest way to go.
Only time I've needed to rent a car is when I've been needed in the outskirts (read archipelago) where and
when buses ain't that frequent (read weekends) and I need to carry a lot of stuff with me.
I'd never dream of buying a car here.

The Notorious LOL
04-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Minneapolis suffers from a shitload of sprawl, which basically means that public transit is great in the city up to the first ring suburbs...but its basically a joke beyond that.

Dorothy Wood
04-26-2008, 10:09 AM
in chicago, you actually save time when you take public transportation because parking is such a bitch. I ride my bike when I can, but there's a bus right by my house that basically goes directly to my work.

the only thing that sucks is when stuff is late, or too early and you miss it. and then you have to wait around for 20 minutes or longer getting all stressed out. which is awful in the winter.

abcdefz
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
The bad parts:

People on cell phones
People whoi just talk shit too fucking loud

...whoever it was that farted near me Friday morning. Smelled more like shit than usual. (n)

ScarySquirrel
04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I almost forgot to mention... I had my first crazy sighting on the bus on Friday. Thisdude was sitting in the aisle seat next to an empty window seat... and having an argument with an invisible person in the vacant window seat. I think he was fighting about whether the bus ran on regular gasoline or something else (and, for the record... it's something else because they're supposedly "clean air" vehicles meaning they don't give off carbon emissions).

He turned his head a lot so I know he didn't have a Bluetooth... just a downright nutjob. The weird thing is, he didn't start in with the argument until about 5 minutes into the ride. When he got on he seemed normal, said "Hi" to the bus driver and everything... and then the crazy just started.

But, so far, my favorite is people who sleep on the bus/train and miss their stop. I thoroughly enjoy the panicked look they get on their faces when they wake up and realize something is wrong... then rush out the door as soon as they can and try to figure out what the hell is going on. Suckers.

Documad
04-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Are you the type of person who can read while on a bus or train? Because if so, it could be an advantage to have that time to yourself. I read a lot more when I took a bus and I really miss that.

ScarySquirrel
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah, I definitely am always packing a book with me when I'm using the bus/train. I can't, however, read while I'm standing and trying to maintain my balance. I haven't gotten it down to the point yet where I can safely maintain balance without holding onto the rails... I guess I need to ride a lot more often.

But, those bus drivers like to slam their brakes a lot too, and I don't think I'll ever get used to that. The bastards. So, I only really read when I am able to snag a seat.

abcdefz
04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
If I have to stand, I try to go back to where the exit is and wrap an arm around the vertical bar. That works.

AceFace
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Wherever I travel to,I always make a point of using public transit,especially trains...it's a great insight into the areas culture/climate/condition...I'd love to spend the day riding around L.A with it's people...freaky and all...(y)

(y)

this is gonna sound so silly to you people with good public transit, but we don't have it here in my small town. well we have buses but they stop running at around 10pm so they're worthless.

when i go to a big city, i make sure to take the metro, well... b/c it's FUN! i get all excited b/c we're gonna go for a train ride, etc... i always try to take the metro everywhere in DC. it really makes me wish we had one here.

also, i have a reoccurring dream that our city is building one. that's kinda a weird side note.

YoungRemy
04-29-2008, 12:31 PM
my thoughts are that if you build it, they will come.

L.A. needs public transit along every freeway(light rail), they need to expand their subway service to the coast (Santa Monica or Venice Beach), and they need more reliable 24 hour bus service.

I took the 704 Rapid with some youngsters the other day, we went from Hollywood to Santa Monica Pier followed by a skateboard adventure down the bike path to Venice. the bus ride took over an hour. it would have been so much nicer to hop on a subway with even less stops and end up on the beach.

I've heard they are expanding service to Culver City, but that's years away and not far enough to benefit all the people.

good thread, though, I am going to start taking the bus once a week to try and save costs...

tejana
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
my thoughts are that if you build it, they will come.

this is somewhat related to my job-- i used to more transit (trains, buses) and now do more highways and freight rail--

it's just a HUGE expense upfront for cities to convince their residents to buy into- because the locals have to pay part of it, with tax $, and the feds pay part, too.

once it gets established, in most places, people love it. it drives up land values, increases development, etc. but transit is actually almost always a public service-- NOT a profit maker of its own. It's called a 'loss leader', i.e., kinda like some thing you're willing to throw money away on in the short term (decades) because it will trigger other development and help workers get to their employment, etc.