PDA

View Full Version : Obama denounces Rev. Wright.

RobMoney$
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
video (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24372040) of today's speach

HICKORY, N.C. - Democratic presidential candidate Barak Obama said Tuesday he was outraged by the latest divisive comments from his former pastor and rejected the notion that he secretly agrees with him.
Obama is seeking to tamp down the growing fury over Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his incendiary remarks that threaten to undermine his campaign at a tough time. The Illinois senator is coming off a loss in Pennsylvania to rival Hillary Rodham Clinton and trying to win over white working-class voters in Indiana and North Carolina in next Tuesday's primaries.
"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday," Obama told reporters at a news conference.
After weeks of staying out of the public eye while critics lambasted his sermons, Wright made three public appearances in four days to defend himself. The former pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has been combative, providing colorful commentary and feeding the story Obama had hoped was dying down.
On Monday, Wright criticized the U.S. government as imperialist and stood by his suggestion that the United States invented the HIV virus as a means of genocide against minorities. "Based on this Tuskegee experiment and based on what has happened to Africans in this country, I believe our government is capable of doing anything," he said.
And perhaps even worse for Obama, Wright suggested that the church congregant secretly concurs.
"If Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected," Wright said. "Politicians say what they say and do what they do based on electability, based on sound bites, based on polls."
Obama stated flatly that he doesn't share the views of the man who officiated at his wedding, baptized his two daughters and been his pastor for 20 years. The title of Obama's second book, "The Audacity of Hope," came from a Wright sermon.
"What became clear to me is that he was presenting a world view that contradicts who I am and what I stand for," Obama said. "And what I think particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing. Anybody who knows me and anybody who knows what I'm about knows that I am about trying to bridge gaps and I see the commonality in all people."

LINK (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24371827)

**starts a slow clap**

This is what I've been waiting to hear from Obama in regards to Wright.
I thought after all the bashing I've done to him, it was only fair I made a thread congratulating him on something I agreed with.

Well done sir.

b i o n i c
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
the fact is that none of this should be news to obama.

i find it disturbing to hear people like bill oreilly who are traditionally anti-democrat, liberal, etc, on the radio all day actually DEFENDING obama.

this feels like a massive plot of some sort to me to destroy obama from the clinton side, with or without reason - im not really sure how i feel about him anyway. i have no proof, its just a gut feeling... like someone/some peeps on their side have pushed him to keep ranting. yeah - gut feeling.

BUT it seems like these dudes are all defending him because they want him to be the one to compete against McCain, not hillary. I think that they know that he has no chance again john mccain and that they want him to take out clinton for them, only to clear the way for mccain.

afronaut
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
*starts slow clap for rob*

RobMoney$
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
*starts slow clap for rob*

In that speach, it's the first time I "connected" with anything he had to say.
Wright's comments are bigoted, racist, and hateful. Most importantly, Wright wasn't bringing anyone together, he was pushing people away from Obama.

If you truly do want to bring people together, you have to start in your own house first (or with your own race first).
I have a lot of respect for Obama for having the guts to stand up in front of the world and his own race and say "This type of shit needs to stop if we want to move foward as a race and I'm not having it".

He did a very good thing today and deserves to be commended for it, but still not ready to give him my vote.
Not even close.

QueenAdrock
04-30-2008, 12:12 AM
BUT it seems like these dudes are all defending him because they want him to be the one to compete against McCain, not hillary. I think that they know that he has no chance again john mccain and that they want him to take out clinton for them, only to clear the way for mccain.

Then why is Rush Limbaugh trying to get all of the Republicans (who can) to go and vote for Hillary in the remaining primaries?

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Rob -- the word is "speech."

Jeez.

afronaut
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Then why is Rush Limbaugh trying to get all of the Republicans (who can) to go and vote for Hillary in the remaining primaries?

Yeah. Rush even flaunts this on his own website:

Judge Napolitano is asked the following question by the lovely and gracious Gretchen Carlson. "Hillary Clinton claims victory in Ohio in the state's Democrat presidential primary. Now some of the voters who may have helped her get that win, could go to jail."

NAPOLITANO: It's true that they could face jail. It's true that some election commissioners in one county in Ohio want to investigate this. It is extremely unlikely that they would ever go to jail for exercising their right to vote in somebody else's primary. Rush Limbaugh was participating in a great American institution. This has been going on for a hundred years. You vote in your opponent's party and you vote for the weaker of the candidates in your opponent's party.

Look, the Supreme Court has ruled unanimously that no government official can interrogate you as to who you voted for and why you voted for that person.

RUSH: Nor can they sit out there and have loyalty oaths as they did in Ohio.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_032708/content/01125106.guest.html

So Rush is basically saying that Obama is the stronger candidate.

b i o n i c
04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
you have a point about rush limbaugh, but national polls say hillary is more electable vs mccain. maybe they're wrong.