PDA

View Full Version : That first Scarlett Johansson single

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
...is pretty good (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117984845.html?categoryid=16&cs=1)!

I thought it was supposed to be all Tom Waits songs on her album, though...

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I thought it was supposed to be all Tom Waits as well

I'd like to take the time to thank your alls advise on TW...I have Small Change, Blue Valentine, and Swordfishtrombones. I even sent the person I do music exchanges with some $ for him to buy Swordfishtrombones.

My favorites are The Piano has been Drinking(Not Me) and Frank's Wild Years

Noone could have the delivery to play those songs other than Tom Waits

funk63
04-30-2008, 11:05 AM
that needed way more tits

AceFace
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
pretty neat video. i wish you coulda heard her voice more in that song. it seems like it was filtered a little too much. i know that's probably what they were going for, but i'd like to hear what she really sounds like.

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I thought it was supposed to be all Tom Waits as well

I'd like to take the time to thank your alls advise on TW...I have Small Change, Blue Valentine, and Swordfishtrombones. I even sent the person I do music exchanges with some $ for him to buy Swordfishtrombones.

My favorites are The Piano has been Drinking(Not Me) and Frank's Wild Years

Noone could have the delivery to play those songs other than Tom Waits

You really need Bone Machine and Rain Dogs now. (y)

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Which one would you prefer? I have $50 store credit and usually top it up to over $100 bc shipping is a killer(Between $15-20 Last Hoorah)

There is officially only 1 Music Store in all of BKK now. Are music shops taking a beating your neck of the woods?

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Brick and mortar stores, certainly. Used music stores are doing okay, though one near my workplace just opened (the same small chain
put up two new stores in other cities, though, so I think it's just that this area's a dud).

Rain Dogs or Bone Machine is not a choice I'd want to make. Probably Rain Dogs by -- excuse me -- a hair.

No -- Bone Machine.

Rain Dogs.

Yeah -- Rain Dogs.

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't know. See -- swordfishtrombones is where he really started to come into his own with the Tom Waits production/sound, etc. Rain Dogs
is kind of the culmination of that, and then Bone Machine is where he really starts pushing it further.

Yeah -- in the order you're going, sticking to the chronology is probably best. But swordfish, Rain Dogs, and Bone Machine are his masterpieces,
I think.

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Thank You Kind Sir for giving the Heads Up on both. Consider it done. I always give him an eclectic selection and then tell him to turn me onto something new as well

I have to say that I was disappointed with Blue Valentine but the other two are Golden. Swordfishtrombones I can just let play over and over again

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I really think swordfishtrombones is where the "tom waits"-ness really kicked into high gear. Of the early early stuff, Closing Time might be best,
maybe. Maybe. But I hardly ever go to the pre-swordfish albums, so maybe I should give them another run.

The One from the Heart soundtrack he did with Crystal Gayle is pretty nice.

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
He did a whole LP on Frank's Wild Years....That song is Magic! Is that LP anywhere in the same ballpark as that?
I like his off the cuff songs...As stated earlier about "The Piano has been Drinking(Not Me) and FWY's

Were the post SFT's more along the lines of his shooting from the hip like those mentioned. Take 1 That's a Wrap kinda songs?

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Nope -- he's got more of the noise carnival atmosphere going.

Frank's Wild Years is a damned fine album. Just a notch below Bone Machine and Rain Dogs, but absolutely absolutely worthy.

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Damnit A-Z: You used the description "Noise Carnival Atmosphere" I'm intrigued, bewildered, amused and ready to break out the Check Book so to speak. That description has more colors than the collective Flags of the UN

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Can you hear youtube videos from where you sit?

Clap Hands (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gME--7vk7Vk)

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Singapore (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T_OiO_OHc6s)

Jockey Full of Bourbon (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4KzbT2vfwPA)

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Couldn't for a while now Thailand is back in the Saddle.
I'm watching Clap Hands as we speak(y)

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
From Bone Machine:

I Don't Wanna Grow Up
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=kzKiqk2iynY)

Goin' Out West
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=kzKiqk2iynY)

Earth Died Screaming (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1YSlqSwHd2I) starts at about 1:45

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
OK Here's what I've noticed: His preSFT LP's for me are great hangover songs~I'm talking about it's Sunday afternoon tracks you went to sleep around noon and where you feel so bad that you wear your sunglasses on indoors with the shades drawn.

The songs you've posted are more along the lines of the precursor to that tragic event and is somewhat I'm going to the party or getting ready to party. Or better yet once all the bars are closed that's the music that I'd spin if I was bringing the party home with me.

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Most of his albums, I can't listen to that casually. They kind of demand attention, and his voice isn't relaxing at all.

I love that song on swordfish -- is it "Soldier's things" or something? "Everything's a nickel in this box..."

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Funny Story: Where I get my haircut there's a bar next door and I get them to bring drinks over while I get my haircut and a footmassage. The haircut lady had a bluetooth phone and she wanted me to give her some songs. Of course TW was in the bundle. We were matching shots of tequila while she was cutting my hair and listening to my music at the same time.

Worst Hair Cut Ever

Soldiers Things to me seems like a song that a bar would play right before they cut the lights out and say "You don't have to go home but you gotta get the hell outta here"

*Gulps some Heineken bc I think I'm gonna be here a while: 2:08AM Fuck It~This is Good Conversation

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm about gone. Gotta run some errands.

Yeah -- that's a heartbreaking song.

I can't remember which album has "Jersey Girl" on it... Springsteen actually does a really nice cover of that one.

Nice Scarlett Johansson thread... :D

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Funny Story: Where I get my haircut there's a bar next door and I get them to bring drinks over while I get my haircut and a footmassage. The haircut lady had a bluetooth phone and she wanted me to give her some songs. Of course TW was in the bundle. We were matching shots of tequila while she was cutting my hair and listening to my music at the same time.

Worst Hair Cut Ever

I'll bet.

My first image was someone sitting in a barber's chair with a tumbler of whiskey, and all the little hairs falling into the glass. :(

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh, by the way -- Waits has been good in some not so good films, like Short Cuts and Dracula.

abcdefz
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
All right -- have a good night.

-- morning!

I'm outta here. (y)

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Well you caught me: I used to drink Heineken's there, not because I like them, but because that was the only decent beer I could get. And yes: the problem of drinking beer while getting a haircut if you're drinking beer is that you have to stop the show so you can take a swig of the hooch.
The magic about tequila shots is that there's a performance to it: Salt, Lime, Shot. So the Circus of Life stops for that brief moment and respect is given to the way that you conduct business when you're doing the shots

*Gulps Heineken @ 2:32 and am thinking good and well about telling the boss that tomorrow I'm going to call in well

Dorothy Wood
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM
I really like the music part of that song. The video's a little melodramatic for my taste though. Her voice is pretty flat, and it's kind of goofy how they have her mixed so low. I'll give her points for taste, but not for ability.

sounds like the poor man's sinead o'connor.

BangkokB
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
She needs to shred a picture of the Pope while on SNL and then the cameras will start snapping. She won't be able to leave her 60,000 Sq. Feet Home