PDA

View Full Version : new bboys album 40.2758320% finished

b i o n i c
05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20721837/smoking_section_the_beastie_boys_love_as_laughter_ james_hunter

The Smoking Section headed to the Beastie Boys' studio in Lower Manhattan, where we were shown Gunnin' for That #1 Spot, a new doc produced and directed by Adam Yauch, that follows the lives of 24 elite high school basketball players on their way to an MVP game at Harlem's Rucker Park, the street-ball mecca, in '06. "My friend asked me to be a coach, which I don't know how to do, but then he started asking me how to document the game," says Yauch, who's been ballin' recently, after a torn ACL sidelined him. "I thought, 'I should do this.'" To the sounds of vintage hip-hop and soul, Gunnin' delves into the lives of current NCAA stars such as UCLA's Kevin Love (nephew of Beach Boy Mike Love), and up-and-coming players like Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans. "It's powerful stuff," says Yauch, and we agree. He also reveals that the B-Boys are "40 percent" finished with a new disc. "It'll be a mix of things," he says. "We'll play on it, and there'll definitely be some hip-hop."

beastieboysbaby
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
(y) whoooooo baby ! 40% :eek: niiiiice stuff !

Kid Presentable
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Sounds great. Keep it away from the fans before it leaks and we're laughing.(y)

Kid Presentable
05-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Have they ever done a song that uses 808 and super-fuzz terminator bass together? Or the gutbucket and washboard?

Laver1969
05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
So let's assume there'll be approximately 15 tracks like TT5B. That's probably about 6 songs completed. Or 12 songs that are each halfway done. Or it could be all 15 that are each only 40% done. Wait...let me get my calculator.

b i o n i c
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
^ ^

LOL(y)

Kid Presentable
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
It's cool they're working so hard, man.

pm0ney
05-06-2008, 11:47 PM
It's cool they're working so hard, man.

Yeah, its funny how after the 3 of them got a taste of family life all of a sudden their working at a pace never seen before. I guess married life aint all its cracked up to be, eh?

JOKING.

Anyway, really looking forward to hearing whatever it is they are cooking up. I'm sure it will be phenomenal.

Spur
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I've been gunning for them to produce another mixed album for the past 4 or 5 years...can't wait!

midzi
05-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Great news. I hope for the release in 2009.

Mr. Smacktackle
05-07-2008, 02:58 AM
"It'll be a mix of things," he says. "We'll play on it, and there'll definitely be some hip-hop."
oh yes! Let's do this!!

mate_spawn_die
05-07-2008, 03:13 AM
yauch has some long fingers

TAFKASB
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Sounds sweet as a nut! Here now starts the speculation on what it will be like.....lol. I.e...IC or PB or CYH

Nerd Fight
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Awesome.

Miho
05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Great. Looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be out in Summer 2009.

kleptomaniac
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
yauch has some long fingers

you just noticed?! :p

funk63
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
ew

mathcart
05-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I've been gunning for them to produce another mixed album for the past 4 or 5 years...can't wait!

:D

WORD!

easy 3
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Man, they're gonna tease us with this stuff for another eighteen months!

But I just can't help getting excited every time, yaknowamsayin'?

What is wrong with us?

mathcart
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Man, they're gonna tease us with this stuff for another eighteen months!

But I just can't help getting excited every time, yaknowamsayin'?

What is wrong with us?

SO f'n funny you say that because I smile each time I read the title to this thread! Just think it makes us fans is all (very serious fans but still just fans dammit!)
:D

balohna
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Sounds great, I've been waiting for another album like this.

It seems like they're working faster because they're approaching recording like a 9-5 job.

taquitos
05-09-2008, 12:29 PM
that picture is hilarious

Hypestyle
05-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I still want solo albums.. make it a triple-disc set...bring in some hardcore-hip-hop guest producers..

beastieboysbaby
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
that would be AMAZING !!!!!! ^^ :eek:

BBboy20
05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Another CYH/IC? But hey, who doesn't mind another BBoys record?

Kid Presentable
05-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Another CYH/IC? But hey, who doesn't mind another BBoys record?

Nothing to say that, and even so, it might have 4 or 5 hardcore tracks or solo vocal tracks and different ratios of styles. Plus with how 'O-Scope' all the 21st century stuff sounds, it wont be another CYH/IC. Not a diss, but it will definitely have it's own sound. I look forward to hearing it all mixed together again.

Keep it away from bloggers, that's the main issue.

discopants
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
When's that guy posting the message that it should be called Over the Ill, there wont even be an album until he does. Who was that guy anyway?

taquitos
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
they should call the new album 'over the ill' lol

mathcart
05-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I still want solo albums.. make it a triple-disc set...bring in some hardcore-hip-hop guest producers..

Interesting...
I don't think I would like this. Well, let me just say, if thats what the new shit became, I would like it, but I think my preference is for them to work together. Like on "Squat"- I really like that song because De La is ridiculous & its got two out of 3 of my favorite musicians, but I definitely miss MCA on that track- it fucks me up a little because I feel like I should love that track (which I sort of do)- but it always feels a little like something is missing. Mybe I'm just an incredibly ungrateful jerk, though, so you never know...
:rolleyes:

Brother McDuff
05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
even if it is a hodge podge (as Yauch has mentioned) like 90s era beastie records, its still going to be a departure from the usual sound since Mario is out of the picture. Honestly, i think this record is going to be the real determiner of whether or not they can really make "great" records producing on their own. TT5B and TMU were fun albums, exceptional material, but when it comes to their genre jumping albums, the last two dont hold a candle to the arrangement, creativity, production, and sonic quality of the Mario era.

the new one is going to make or break it for me, I think, on whether they can remain relevant without an outside producer. sure they'll always be able to make fun recordings to listen to, but if they can continue to make "significant" recordings, that's the question.

Miho
05-17-2008, 11:33 AM
You make a good point, Brother McDuff. Their next album will be the decider. I'd like to see a good mix of rap, rock, and instrumentals, but moreso rap on it. And I'd like to see guest appearances from Rakim and MC Lyte.

mathcart
05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
even if it is a hodge podge (as Yauch has mentioned) like 90s era beastie records, its still going to be a departure from the usual sound since Mario is out of the picture. Honestly, i think this record is going to be the real determiner of whether or not they can really make "great" records producing on their own. TT5B and TMU were fun albums, exceptional material, but when it comes to their genre jumping albums, the last two dont hold a candle to the arrangement, creativity, production, and sonic quality of the Mario era.

the new one is going to make or break it for me, I think, on whether they can remain relevant without an outside producer. sure they'll always be able to make fun recordings to listen to, but if they can continue to make "significant" recordings, that's the question.

Excellently put as usual Brother! (y)

For me, though, its a bit more of a curiosity to me than a "make or break moment". The post millennial period of there career either rivals their busiest and most creative era (I'd say CYH- IC era) or, in fact, surpasses it (which I think it does).
But I think you are absolutely right on that this prolificness does not necessarily mean they are reaching the same heights of genius they have reached with past joints. I'm certainly pulling for this to happen- even if it is a totally unexpected way (Dolly Parton collabo? who can say- its the definition of unexpected!). But I am curious to see what they can do when they are in the kind of zone they have been in of late.
My 2cents
:)

BBboy20
05-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Nothing to say that, and even so, it might have 4 or 5 hardcore tracks or solo vocal tracks and different ratios of styles. Plus with how 'O-Scope' all the 21st century stuff sounds, it wont be another CYH/IC. Not a diss, but it will definitely have it's own sound. I look forward to hearing it all mixed together again.Which is why I typed CYH/IC in a term of variety. -_-

Michelle*s_Farm
05-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Dear Brother McDuff, I am surprised by the tone of your post. My take on their post-Ill Communication work is that the band did what they wanted to and parting ways with Mario has hardly had much of an impact in terms of their ability to make 'classic' albums (similar to departing ways with Rick Rubin). The past three albums have been unique and will pass the test of time regardless of the naysayers who feel the band is not up to the quality of their past contributions. I always found this to be an 'asshole' point-of-view perpetuated by new bands, new critics and pseudo-indie folk who are so fickle with their high expectations that they barely listen to a record anymore before making a decision upon its longterm quality (if they even care or ever do). Sorry to sound so negative. I know your heart is in the right place. But I really do not believe you feel that the next album is "make or break" for you -- that tone is too harsh and perhaps a tad disrepectful. I met people who share this view and I think it has 'asshole' written all over it.

bizmark
05-24-2008, 06:06 PM
When's that guy posting the message that it should be called Over the Ill, there wont even be an album until he does. Who was that guy anyway?

Over The Ill in the house! Here I am and no album yet.

dave790
05-24-2008, 07:46 PM
every record, including the last 3, has been sick.

so keep 'em coming (y)

check your head and ill communication are simply masterpieces in regards to genre hopping and, well, simply being great albums. but they have been done, and they will always be there.

beasties records haven't been about pleasing fans or doing what they should do... it's all about what the three of them (plus extras) feel like making, and long may it continue.

Brother McDuff
05-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Dear Brother McDuff, I am surprised by the tone of your post. My take on their post-Ill Communication work is that the band did what they wanted to and parting ways with Mario has hardly had much of an impact in terms of their ability to make 'classic' albums (similar to departing ways with Rick Rubin). The past three albums have been unique and will pass the test of time regardless of the naysayers who feel the band is not up to the quality of their past contributions. I always found this to be an 'asshole' point-of-view perpetuated by new bands, new critics and pseudo-indie folk who are so fickle with their high expectations that they barely listen to a record anymore before making a decision upon its longterm quality (if they even care or ever do). Sorry to sound so negative. I know your heart is in the right place. But I really do not believe you feel that the next album is "make or break" for you -- that tone is too harsh and perhaps a tad disrepectful. I met people who share this view and I think it has 'asshole' written all over it.

Thank you for your response, you have the right to your opinion and you expressed it very respectively. Let me just clarify, though, when I say "make or break" in my post, I didnt mean I'm gonna stop listening or lose respect for the bboys if the next release is as strong as id like. Im just saying, there is a difference between good albums and "significant" albums.

The last two were real good fun, quality work. I enjoy them thoroughly and will for years and years. The fact is though, that the records they made before these were far more creative and meticulous endeavors. Much more time spent (which is obvious when listening), denser, and significant to the musical world in general. These records were stretching and bending the mold of contemporary pop albums. While playful and charming on the outside (and more importantly, accessible to the mass audience), below the surface they were also very professional, thoughtful, and serious musical pieces and statements (for the real heads to soak up as well). TT5B and TMU are far more playful than anything else. They're just not as heavy accomplishments as the others, I think.

HiPlnsDrftr
05-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Why do I feel like I'm already reading reviews for an album that isn't even finished yet. Why can't people just be happy with a new album WHEN it drops and then make any comments they like. All this speculation is just bullhs!t.

Brother McDuff
05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Why do I feel like I'm already reading reviews for an album that isn't even finished yet. Why can't people just be happy with a new album WHEN it drops and then make any comments they like. All this speculation is just bullhs!t.

all due respect, you're going out of your way to talk down to those of us having an honest, objective discussion regarding the coming album. no one here is judging anything that hasn't already been released. if it bothers you I suggest you don't read it, but you can't expect fans to not speculate.

M.C. Guevera
05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
You can't blame the fans if they want every release to be another Check Your Head. The Beasties have set the bar REALLY fucking high.

JasonP
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
The new album is the BEST ALBUM that I've never heard...wurd!

Laver1969
05-26-2008, 09:41 PM
but you can't expect fans to not speculate.

I'm gonna speculate brother...the new stuff is gonna be like the second installment of LTI WITH LYRICS and real INSTRUMENTS! :cool:

Laver1969
05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I know in the past, they've called MMM in at the end of their projects to put the finishing touches on their tracks. I would assume they are probably doing the same thing for this new one.

I just checked MMM's website and his tour calendar is fairly full for the rest of the year.

beastieboysbaby
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I just checked MMM's website and his tour calendar is fairly full for the rest of the year.

whoo hoo, gonna try to go the austin show ! :cool:

Chicka B
05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Holy shit, a new Beastie Boys album in the works and already almost half-way finished! Where have I been? :eek:

jennyb
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I miss them. I wish they'd at least blog fart jokes on the site randomly or something in the meantime. They're Beastie Boys... a funny or interesting thought must pop into their head now and again.

But yeah, new album, @ 40% a month ago?! (y) Wait a min, if it took them basically a year to get 40% out since TMU. We're talking a year and a half to go?! Nooooooo!!!!! *jumps off cliff*

Chicka B
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I miss them. I wish they'd at least blog fart jokes on the site randomly or something in the meantime. They're Beastie Boys... a funny or interesting thought must pop into their head now and again.

But yeah, new album, @ 40% a month ago?! (y) Wait a min, if it took them basically a year to get 40% out since TMU. We're talking a year and a half to go?! Nooooooo!!!!! *jumps off cliff*

Haha yeah, I miss them too. I wish Yauch would start just randomly popping up on the board like he used to, that was so exciting. :( And didn't they start recording it in October last year or...where'd I hear that? :confused:

Hypestyle
06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I want to see/hear the following guests:

KRS-One
Rev. Run
DMC
Chuck D
LL Cool J

balohna
06-15-2008, 02:11 AM
If there are guests I hope none of them are rappers. Sure the Beastie Boys are defined as hip-hop artists, but if they're going to have guests on the next album I hope they're the usually slightly obscure guests. I'm thinking like Hello Nasty guests.

beastieboysbaby
06-15-2008, 02:55 AM
isn't M.I.A. gonna be on it?

Brother McDuff
06-15-2008, 03:09 PM
isn't M.I.A. gonna be on it?

that would be the elusive TMU remix album. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Bobtwi
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I want to see/hear the following guests:

KRS-One
Rev. Run
DMC
Chuck D
LL Cool J

love this idea toss in fatlip

Kid Presentable
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
*vomits*

Don't like those guest proposals. Don't like any.

Space
06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
08-08?