PDA

View Full Version : So, I just bought a bike...

TOY
05-29-2008, 11:22 AM
...but I'm not so sure it's a GREAT bike, and I'm kinda pissed 'cause I think I got fucked on the sale.

It's a Schwinn Sierra GS- bought it at a local shop (not Wal-Fart). Are Schwinn's generally decent bikes? I've only been so lucky to have owned a "Huffy" brand before, and this is my first EVER real-deal kinda bike. I'm excited, but hopefully my spirits won't be broken after your opinions.

THANKS!

Dorothy Wood
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
older american-made schwinns are better quality, but I'm sure your bike is alright. It's definitely better than a huffy. I bought a shitty schwinn for $100 at Target a few years back and it sucked, it was reallllly slow. that one got stolen, then I got a bare bones trek mountain bike, which was alright. that one got stolen and I got a vintage schwinn road bike from the 70's and it was way faster than the trek.

one of my axles broke on the schwinn, so I got a vintage raleigh from the 80's. it's pretty sweet. I paid $100, but it's worth a bit more.

your bike is probably decent enough for rolling around town. internet says they go for about $300, is that what you got it for?

MC Moot
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Schwinn's used to be quality bikes,although they've always been heavy,my girl rides an antique 3 speed,for city pathway cruises,that looks fantastic but is a whole lot of dead weight...I don’t even know if Schwinn still has a partnership with Shimano…are the components shimano???

abcdefz
05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my biiiiike

Dorothy Wood
05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they still use shimano derailleurs.

the sierra is a comfort bike anyhoo, not meant for speed. I think it looks alright, pretty plain...however, I kinda hate it when the handle bars are taller than the seat. it looks goofy to me.

ericlee
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I suppose the quality isn't as good anymore being that there were few companies in general such as Mongoose and Schwinn that sold only these bikes.

Now that the bigger retail companies are selling them, they're being mass produced.

Other than that, Turd is the bike man around here.

-T-
05-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I bet its just fine for casual rides and should last. The Schwinn name used to mean something before they were bought out a few years back, bastards.

I used to be pretty big into biking, mountain at first then trials for a few years. Right now I have a vintage Sling Shot(Early 90's) and a old cruiser from the 60's and a trek bruiser with a snapped frame.

TOY
05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
the sierra is a comfort bike anyhoo, not meant for speed. I think it looks alright, pretty plain...however, I kinda hate it when the handle bars are taller than the seat. it looks goofy to me.

That's what I liked about it... The bars being higher. I hate being all arched over-like.

I paid, like, $300- which is why I'm having second thoughts. :"\

I brought it home today. When I shift gears, it 'clicks' (and you can feel it too). Is that normal?

I haven't been on a bike in so long that when I got off, my legs felt like cement. And because I hadn't eaten anything before getting on, once I got home, sat in the tub and nearly faded to black. Then puked. :")

jabumbo
05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
if you bought it from a real bike shop, i'm sure the quality will be great. those guys are usually pretty good and they take enough time to put the bike together for you.

it looks like a good ride, you've even got the shocks!

HEIRESS
05-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I have bike envy almost everyday that I go out. I must get one this summer.

I once dated someone who owned a 8,000 dollar bike. it weighed like 9.5 pounds. EEEEP

I also know this chick (http://www.pedalmag.com/images/pedal/4762a6eb02967Pendrel_wins_RIO.jpg) (she worked/works at my lab in between training seasons) If she keeps her current 2nd place canadian female mountain biker ranking til saturday she's got a spot at the olympics this summer (y)(y)(y)

POST A PIC OF YOUR BAJUNKAJUNK AFTER A MONTH OF THE CYCLING TOY!

The Notorious LOL
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
$8,000 bike? what a dipshit.

HEIRESS
05-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Im a free ride, and he almost always chose the 8,000 dollar one over me. total dipshit.

Lex Diamonds
05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Free ride you say? Where's the queue start?

HEIRESS
05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
VIP(enis) only.

Lex Diamonds
05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I see, so you only bone people with $8,000 bikes?

I aint sayin she a golddigger
but she aint messin with no broke, broke

TurdBerglar
05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
if you bought it from a true bike shop, you get what you pay for 99 times out of a hundred.

-T-
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
^^^

As opposed to having a pair of legally blind midgets with down syndrome piecing together the bikes in the back room of your local retail center?

TurdBerglar
05-29-2008, 09:18 PM
yeah, sure

Audio.
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I brought it home today. When I shift gears, it 'clicks' (and you can feel it too). Is that normal?

yeah.

anyways what purpose do you need the bike for? is it just to ride around the block then I say its nice choice but... a little pricey.

TOY
05-30-2008, 10:07 AM
yeah.

anyways what purpose do you need the bike for? is it just to ride around the block then I say its nice choice but... a little pricey.

Ride around the block/town. Uphill, downhill, blablabla.

Audio.
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
yeah its a right choice. (y)