PDA

View Full Version : pet rabbit?

Nygel
06-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Alright, so I've been researching various pets for a while because I am moving 1000 miles away to Orlando to go to a film school, well, after many options Im currently liking the idea of a pet rabbit the most. (dogs and cats are out of the question, its an apartment and i dont want to pay $400 more for a pet, then $20 a month, also no exotics, or i'd get a fennec fox)

Well, I have a bunch of issues but really I want to know who has had pet bunnies and wants to share any info about them as far as if they were a good choice or not. From what I've gathered, they're like cats, but they hop, are tiny, and eat carrots.

Lyman Zerga
06-15-2008, 02:53 PM
i loved my bunny to death, it used to give me kisses (not all do that) like all the time and it was also able to growl and stuff

cleaning the bunny cage was kinda a pain in the ass though and you have to get more than one bunny or it will die of lonelyness and make sure they have enough space to run/speed hop

btw whatever happened to the hedgehog idea?

Nygel
06-15-2008, 03:13 PM
more upkeep, not as cuddly, not as common. they hover around $100+ for a normal one here.

hpdrifter
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Having a pet bunny is a lot more compicated than it might seem. There are a number of issues that are not immediately obvious, here are a few:

Most vets only see cats and dogs so you have to find an exotic vet and one that is good with rabbits (these are not common). They need a lot of love and attention, not the kind of pet you can get and leave in the cage. They need a lot of room to run and hop. They can be litter trained but must be fixed first. Most rabbits don't like to be held or picked up. Some rabbits will sit on your lap but I have found these are rare. They need a pretty specific diet and most pet stores don't sell food that is healthy for them. In fact, many sell foods that are really bad and even toxic.

I'd say if you're willing to invest some time and effort to set yourself up to take proper care of it and not expect a lot in return (other than face melting cuteness) then go for it but given what you posted you should probably get something more like a rat or a hamster. A rabbit is not the kind of pet you want if you're looking to avoid a pet deposit, they are hard to conceal from landlords (I have years of experience in this area) and some are incredibly messy. Most will cause damage to your apartment.

Most rabbit owners that I have known comapre keeping a house rabbit to having a puppy. Its a lot of work.

b-grrrlie
06-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd think a guinea pig would be a better choice.

Lyman Zerga
06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Some rabbits will sit on your lap but I have found these are rare.

mine did that and also was sitting on my shoulder like a fucking parrot!

TAL
06-15-2008, 03:47 PM
No pets is the best choice (y)

hpdrifter
06-15-2008, 03:57 PM
mine did that and also was sitting on my shoulder like a fucking parrot!

Lucky! The only one of mine who showed me any affection passed away just before Christmas last year.

I still miss him, he was so cute. :(

Lyman Zerga
06-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Lucky! The only one of mine who showed me any affection passed away just before Christmas last year.

I still miss him, he was so cute. :(

sucks, mine died last summer, i cried more than i did when i lost my dogs

my bunny loved me and every other human or any other thing, my brother's bunny just showed me some love when it was in a good mood and my sister's bunny hated me since day one

they are all different

faz
06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Get a turtle (y)

Nygel
06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
haha, i hate rats, hampsters, turtles, all that shit, except african dormice, they look like tiny kangaroos, but I can't find any for sale, or I would get some.

I've been rockin a reef saltwater aquarium for years, but I decided if i'm dropping $2000 in a pet, I want to have more emotional interaction. I know how to handle them and all the care required for them. And how the flying fuck is a bunny exotic? they say no exotic pets, but from what I've gathered its not exotic if you can just pick it up from any old pet store without a license. Some claim they must be naturally in the environment of where you live, but shit, how many dogs came from indiana? (if some did, fuck, im retarded for not researching while i post)

but yeah, I played with a ton at a pet store over the weekend and spent a lot of time with them and really they seem a lot more active and playful than I thought. I don't want to hold them, so no big deal their. The ones i was with would cuddle up next to my leg. PERFECT.

I wish I could just get a fox. :(

cookiepuss
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
oh...man why do you hate rats? they are great pets. they can be very affectionate. they are usually very social and not too complicated to care for.

if you say you don't like them cause of thier tail, I'll be sad.:( everyone always says they don't like a rats tail and that's why they won't have one. which is silly. they are cool animals.

taquitos
06-16-2008, 01:37 PM
rats are cool, their tales are the best part.

but then, i like any animal.

Nygel
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
thats not it. just dont seem fun to me, like hamsters and the like, tiny common rodents just dont interest me.

AceFace
06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
i had a pet bunny. Sylvia. she was my first pet when i moved out. she was really good for a long time. then her mood changed and she hated life. after awhile i noticed she had a lump an her belly. poor girl got bunny breast cancer and she was in pain. not only was putting her down most difficult, but the Dr. told me if i had gotten her fixed she may not have gotten it and she may have lived longer than 5 years. boy was that a heart breaker.

so yeah, lesson is, get your bunny fixed!

taquitos
06-16-2008, 02:24 PM
thats not it. just dont seem fun to me, like hamsters and the like, tiny common rodents just dont interest me.

maybe you should get a trained monkey to dance for you or something

hpdrifter
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I think the statistic is something like 8 out of 10 unfixed rabbits will develop cancer at some point.

Get your bunny fixed, it will make him or her more easily litter-trained, less aggressive, less smelly, and of course the best reason, it won't make any more bunnies.

Documad
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I think you should wait 3-6 months until you've got adjusted to your move and your new school schedule. I think that film students work a shitload of hours and are not home often. It might be unfair to the pet to ignore it. Maybe you're feeling like you will be sad and lonely if you live alone but once you get dug in you might get past that.

I have a friend who does rabbit rescue and it's fucking heartbreaking. Most people who buy bunnies shouldn't have one. And like hpdrifter said, they're a lot more work than most people realize.

Nygel
06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I plan on acquiring whatever pet I decide on about January. I'm gonna adjust first obviously. And I know how much time and care go into pets, I've been close to many pets for years.

maybe you should get a trained monkey to dance for you or something

thats actually the third most popular pet in the world.

also school is 8 hours a day. which is 1 more than what my high school was.

anywho, whatever I'll get I'll take care of, and am aware of the time and effort behind them. My friend's dad runs a veterinarian clinic down the street from me, I've seen what happens when people dont take care of pets.

Yeti
06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a friend who does rabbit rescue and it's fucking heartbreaking

This sentence made me think of a rabbit social worker going to a dilapidated double wide trailer and finding a mother rabbit drunk on corn liquor and a baby rabbit in a dirty diaper watching the cartoon network.

A rabbit social workers main job is handing out contaceptives but they always run out because those bunnies are horny.

cookiepuss
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd think a guinea pig would be a better choice.

actually guinea pigs are really cool little critters too. I had one once as well. but they can be noisy, because they have thier own language. Scientists have studied them and determined what each sound means. they have a noise for fear, a noise for hunger, a noise for happiness, etc.

they will shreeeeeeek kinda loudly if they are hungry...so you won't ever forget to feed them.

^ I know Nygel isn't going to get a GP, but incase anyone else wanted to know.

Lyman Zerga
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I think the statistic is something like 8 out of 10 unfixed rabbits will develop cancer at some point.

Get your bunny fixed, it will make him or her more easily litter-trained, less aggressive, less smelly, and of course the best reason, it won't make any more bunnies.

less smelly? i dunno..i only had bunny girls and they were the best smelling animals i ever smelt! like they always just took a lil bunny bath and used lil bunny perfume

i STILL have one of my bunny cuddle beds and they peobably peed into it but the smell is so cute and unique! maybe somehow like baby smell, i love it

i dont have an urine fetish though