PDA

View Full Version : anyone hear about/care about the NC wildfire?

insertnamehere
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I haven't seen anything about it really on the news, aside from local news telling everyone not to go outside because of the smoke, but it seems pretty bad. I don't know what's typical of wildfires though, maybe its tiny. About 64 square miles has burned, with smoke spreading hundreds of miles and about half the state at one time or other being under a code purple air advisory (I didn't know it went up to code purple, and I usually check that kind of thing) Supposedly its made it pretty smokey up to Richmond too.

YoungRemy
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
also, Iowa is under water...

insertnamehere
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
good point

Yeti
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
You are correct about the smoke in Richmond.
I live in Richmond Va which is over a 4 hour drive north. Last week on 2 different days you could smell the smoke in the morning. News reports have said that Richmond residents have been calling fire depts and 911 worried about a nearby house fire. It is crazy that a fire that far south can produce so much smoke that it can smell like a fire only blocks away.

Here is a link to the local paper reporting the smoke smell.........
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-06-06-0232.html

insertnamehere
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
ca-razy

yeah, one day here i left my building on my way to class and thought something in the immediate area was burning. it was seriously hurting my eyes/nose/throat so i figured id take my car as far as i could... its about a mile to my class, i can park about a half mile away. i normally walk but my plan was to drive out of the smoke and walk from there. so as im driving to the parking lot i see out in the distance that the entire campus is covered and figure we had some sort of huge disaster while i was napping.

im not gonna like, i was sort of hoping it was the building i was having my lab in.

this was after it had already been burning for about a week, and i hadn't heard about it until that day. then i talked to my mom who lives about an hours drive east of here and she said she hadn't been able to really take her dog out all week cause he has breathing problems.

apparently because of the way the ground is where its burning (its all peat), the fire can go underground and then pop up somewhere else is why its been so hard to fight. peat burns like crazy, and the area where the fire is is basically all peat that goes really deep... also why there's so much smoke

abcdefz
06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Hadn't heard about it. We've probably been consumed with our own.

Did read about Iowa. This all sucks.

AceFace
06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
we've had some fires going on here in the Roanoke area too. before those started, i think i could smell the NC fire smoke. it was REALLY bad a few days ago, but i'm sure that was from the fires here in our area.

Loppfessor
06-17-2008, 09:51 AM
The end is near people...mark me words

funk63
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM
heard about it: yes
cared about it: no