PDA

View Full Version : why are women's magazines always telling women how to relax?

b i o n i c
06-17-2008, 10:36 AM
there's a woman's world, a cosmo and some other womanny magazine in the mail for my sister. its like 75% of the the magazines are about relaxing. the other 25% are about spicing up your sex life. 10 ways to kick back in a hurry, foods that ease stress, breezy worry free styles to make your life easier, colors that calm, five coffee cup shapes that will bring you to nirvana, 100 yogurts that numb your vagina. ok not the last two, but seriously, a lot of literature about chilling out in these magazines. i larfed.

Lyman Zerga
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
i hate women who read women magazines

b i o n i c
06-17-2008, 10:48 AM
my sister is pretty cool. i just think the people who write the magazines must think women are pretty stressed out sex fiends

ms.peachy
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't really understand those kind of magazines either. I do 'read' (if you can call it that) ones like InStyle, Red, Glamour or Vogue now and again, to look at clothes and design trends and such. They're good for leafing through on the train or bus or whatever, when you just want to look at pictures and think "Oooh, I like those shoes." But those mags don't really have much in the way of articles in them. (Or maybe they do and I just flip right through them to get to the shoes, hmm.)

abcdefz
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
-- but the quizzes are great.

Lyman Zerga
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
some of the fashion is nice but usually unpayable and the mags are full of commercials, they should pay ME to read those expensive mags

b i o n i c
06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
1000 ways to treat yourself to a spa treatment with items in your refrigerator.

how to make those cotton balls that go between your toes out of anything but cotton.

using your blender to make face pastes to sit in a easy chair and relax with.

colors to paint your bathroom for the perfect bubblebath

gigantic oversized coffee mug shapes that will ease the stress away

how to make a beach meditation chair out of tampons

ms.peachy
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Those all sound very useful, but what about better orgasms, dammit?!?!?!

abcdefz
06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
"The wrong kind of orgasm -- really? For me, even my worst one has always been right on the money..."

I'm paraphrasing.

b i o n i c
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
oh.... here's some:

9 ways that we insist will make his toes curl but may possibly be from cringing.

Give him what he wants, or at least what we say he does.

Spice up your sex life with feathers and chocolate.

101 uses for whipped cream that will put your average man to sleep

Ways to make your man think think he's getting a menage a trois, when he's really getting the sports illustrated swimsuit issue.

has anyone's life EVER improved with this crap?

cookiepuss
06-17-2008, 12:19 PM
100 yogurts that numb your vagina.

^ that's actually a really good article. Changed my life! (y)

uh..the demo graphic for those magazines is basically single working women. Fast track career womens are stressed. oh yeah and men stress us out. women have alot to be stressed about really. I mean we are just so complex and emotional! it's stressful damn it! Arghghghggghh! I need a cup of coffee!

abcdefz
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM
oh yeah and men stress us out.

I wound up at this forum where women were debating which makeup reduced their eye puffiness because their boyfriends made them cry
so much. I was like, "Fuck -- break up with 'em if they make you cry that much!" I understand hormonal to some degree, but damn.

Dorothy Wood
06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I think in the beginning, the magazines were telling women things they'd never heard before, and it was good. but now it's just rehashing everything again and again.

I find those kinds of magazines almost unbearable these days. Glamour used to be alright, but the articles are pretty stupid lately. my roommate got a subscription as a gift, so it's around and I look at it. the writing is just...sooo...perky!

I like Vogue, it's more sophisticated. I could never in a million years buy the shits in that book, but I can watch how fashion evolves and get ideas to make my own clothes.

I'll take Domino and Readymade over any fashion mag though. and I LOVED martha stewart's Blueprint, but the stopped printing it and made it just a blog. :(

cookiepuss
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I think in the beginning, the magazines were telling women things they'd never heard before, and it was good. but now it's just rehashing everything again and again.

Exactly! Cosmo's format hasn't Changed since it came out. and remember Helen Gurly Brown created Cosmo because she wanted a forum to let women know it was ok to enjoy sex like a man, it was ok to have a career like a man. it was alright to be single, and go out and get what you want.

Via La Sexual Revolution!!!!

except the sexual revolution is over, we got what we wanted. So it's little funny that these magazine keep trying to reinvent it.:rolleyes:

abcdefz
06-17-2008, 12:59 PM
I think in the beginning, the magazines were telling women things they'd never heard before, and it was good.

I hear a celestial choir in the background as I read this.

Lex Diamonds
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
It is because women get confused and scared when they don't have a dick to suck. Hence feminism and shit.

Lesbians generally go so long without dick that they snap and become twisted gruesome serial killers (roughly 95% of the time), therefore most homosexual women are executed by the government upon departure from the closet. The government cover it all up because they don't want a bunch of PMS chicks to start moaning about equal rights and shit.

mikizee
06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
It is because women get confused and scared when they don't have a dick to suck. Hence feminism and shit.

Lesbians generally go so long without dick that they snap and become twisted gruesome serial killers (roughly 95% of the time), therefore most homosexual women are executed by the government upon departure from the closet. The government cover it all up because they don't want a bunch of PMS chicks to start moaning about equal rights and shit.

Truer words have never been spoken

taquitos
06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I hear a celestial choir in the background as I read this.

thats awsome, i wonder if she did that on purpose

Dorothy Wood
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
;)

russhie
06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I think the best thing Cosmo ever did for me was publish an article about giving great blowjobs. Seriously. I was probably 14 or 15 or something and yet to do it, so it actually helped when the time came. Dolly and Girlfriend never touched that shit. Booorrrrrinnggg.

But yeah, you read it once and the same shit gets re-hashed over and over again. There are only so many times you can be told that fucking on the washing machine equals funsexytimes.

Bob
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM

padster that is incredibly homophobic and ignorant allow me to elaborate

b i o n i c
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
i get it, very funny, bob.

much more than the sexual crap, i really mean mostly why all the relaxing advice. why do women need to chill and relax so much more than dudes

Yetra Flam
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
women generally don't relax