PDA

View Full Version : The term "veg*n" is pretty annoying

abcdefz
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
So: "veg*n" means "vegan or vegetarian." In some context you would need a word to convey the concept of "vegan or vegetarian," like: "It's
too bad there aren't more restaurants for veg*ns in this town."

I don't like reading it, and I don't know how you'd pronounce it. But I'm betting you pronounce it "vegan," which would make it pretty useless
spoken aloud since it would be a homonym for "vegan," which means something precisely what "veg*n" doesn't.

Like: you're at a restaurant and say to the server, "Do you have a menu for vegans?" and the server assumes you're saying "veg*ns" and so
brings you a list of items which may look vegan but actually might have egg in them or something.

I dunno. Veg*n. It looks stupid, too.

MC Moot
06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Oi Vay Gun...:rolleyes:

abcdefz
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Vaygun.

See, now: that might just work.

This comes up because one of our local restaurant reviewers is vegan, and her column has so many fucking asterisks in it that
you swear there are going to be endnotes.

Loppfessor
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
No matter how you spell it that lifestyle is for foolish fools!

Dorothy Wood
06-19-2008, 01:27 PM
last night cort and I ordered tater tots and offered them to our vegan friend. they came with spicey cheesey sauce. he ate the tots and I said, "hey you could probably eat this cheese, I'm pretty sure it's all chemicals...maybe some butterflies". but then I was like, "d'oh! butterflies were once alive! damn it!"

he said he'd make an exception for food made with butterflies though. but he didn't eat the cheese.

I've never run into veg*n, pretty dumb term. what's so hard about typing out both? GIMME A BREAK WITH ALL THIS NEWSPEAK!

AceFace
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
it's a cutesy thing. i love me some chik patties!