PDA

View Full Version : Sleepyhead thread

yeahwho
06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I am horrible at sleep, how are you at keeping regular hours? The problem is I work shifts, i had days last week... and now I was just told it will be nights next. From November until mid-May it was all nightshift.

I'm all fucked up because of this and I find myself up at any hour of the day or night.

Here is a chart (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/naps/)that compares monkeys to humans, with emphasis on naps. I horible at naps too.

insertnamehere
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm convinced that shift work makes you dumber. I don't mean just you, I mean everyone. Your brain can't handle it.

I'd say that last chart sums me up pretty well. I find that I'm best off when I have to wake up around 9 for a 10:00 class. Any earlier than that and I'm not fully functional, later than that and I sleep half my day away.

I have naps almost daily but I always end up taking really relly long naps. I'm terrible at waking up. I basically won't get up until there is something I HAVE to do.

Yeah my sleep is all fucked up. This summer I have 8am classes ever morning, which doesn't agree with me at all. I've gotten better about making myself go to bed though. Still not early enough, but better.

yeahwho
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I went to bed at 2:00 AM last night, woke up @ 8:00 AM and here I am @ 4:30PM exhausted and waiting to go home, where I'll stay up until at least midnight.

I do feel fried everyday because of these crazy hours.

I have taken maybe one nap in the past 10 years.

insertnamehere
06-19-2008, 06:38 PM
solution: take more naps ;)

yeahwho
06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
solution: take more naps ;)

I'm not very good at naps.... I'm afraid if I close my eyes I'l sleep for 6,7 maybe 8 hours straight. Not that thats bad, it just seems like I'll miss something.

Fuck maybe I'm mentally losing it, they say sociopaths have horrible sleep patterns, like Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

ericlee
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I usually get to bed around 3am after getting home from work at midnight.

It takes me 1-2 hours to fall asleep. Once I sleep, I usually wake up after 3 or so hours either to piss or from having a bad dream. Afterwards, it takes me another hour or so to fall back into sleep.

In most cases, once I've woken up I can't fall back into sleep so, I usually average 3-4 hours of sleep a day through the week. After 3 or 4 days of said sleeping pattern, I get extremely exhausted and fall asleep as soon as I lay down and end up sleeping for about 10 hours.

ericlee
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not very good at naps.... I'm afraid if I close my eyes I'l sleep for 6,7 maybe 8 hours straight. Not that thats bad, it just seems like I'll miss something.

Fuck maybe I'm mentally losing it, they say sociopaths have horrible sleep patterns, like Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

I'm bad at trying to nap as well. For 6 months at my job I've always tried to take a nap at work during my 1 hour lunch break.

I'd end up somewhat falling asleep 50 mins into my break only to be aware and hear myself snore and my alarm goes off 10 mins afterwards and it's time to go back to work.

checkyourprez
06-19-2008, 09:14 PM
i was always a light sleeper. always tossing and turing throughout the night. and it would always take me a while to get to sleep to begin with.

i started doing yoga to get my flexiblity back because of a sports injury but not only did it improve my flexibility it gave the added benifiet of giving me great sleep. i would lay down in one position, fall asleep within minutes, and wake up when i needed in that same position. i wouldnt even move let alone wake up. i had to stop the yoga for the past couple weeks because i needed to devote so much time to studying and i could immedialty tell there was a difference. im going to start back up this weekend hopefully.

i always dismissed yoga as some girly waste of time but honestly if you have an hour of free time a day, get a yoga for dummies dvd or something and just do it. if you really value sleep that is.