PDA

View Full Version : eight freakin' seventy five!!! Shit!!

ericlee
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
i go to buy a pack of smokes last night at the store around the corner and throw my usual 7 bucks on the counter.

They asked for a dollar and seventy five cents more and pointed to the new price display.

Yep, it's time to quit again. This time, I hope I don't cave in.

mate_spawn_die
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
yeah

abcdefz
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Holy shit.

I remember when I lived in Kentucky... cigarettes were dirt cheap, man. Zero motivation to quit.

BangkokB
06-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Be an Entrepreneur: Go to North Carolina and buy a truck load of cigarettes. Last I remembered NC had the cheapest cigarettes in the country

Then go to Mom and Pop owned stores and offer to sale them those very cigarettes and a determined price. You'd be surprised. Most will buy them but when I did it, the guy I was running with was running some sort of credit card scam- So God knows how low he was selling them.

Or
Take that same principle: Go to an Indian Reservation then go to Mom and Pop shops...I think they like it bc they are able to keep it off their books. Rinse and Repeat

MC Moot
06-20-2008, 12:55 PM
That's not so bad...I picked up a deck of 20 this morning for $10.34...our cook here has treaty status and makes a run to the reserve once a month where the same deck is $5.80...:rolleyes:

ericlee
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I remember when I started. I smoked Magnas for 99 cents a pack. Sometimes get a 2 for 1 deal.

I've got a friend that lives in south Carolina and he says smokes range from $4-5.

It's just nuts how a pack of cigs almost cost as much as your new favorite cd.

ms.peachy
06-20-2008, 01:21 PM
You think smokes are expensive; just wait til you see how much the chemo drugs are gonna cost you!

insertnamehere
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it depends on the brand of course but I'd say they average around $3 here, thanks to us growing all of the tobacco and all.

So eric, we in business?

Loppfessor
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm quittin next week but man that sucks dude...I was up in Cleveland last week and they were like a dollar more than here in Louisiana but still not no $8.75

Yetra Flam
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
you are not quitting next week.

NoFenders
06-20-2008, 02:30 PM
i go to buy a pack of smokes last night at the store around the corner and throw my usual 7 bucks on the counter.

They asked for a dollar and seventy five cents more and pointed to the new price display.

Yep, it's time to quit again. This time, I hope I don't cave in.

$10 with a lighter here in Chicago.

:cool:

Loppfessor
06-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes I am fool!....I got a month till my fitness test and I'm trying to get back to "excellent" this year. So I have to drop like a 40 seconds to a minute off my run time....PLUS I'm meeting up with my mom in New Orleans next week for 5 days. She will have a heart attack if she sees me smoking so it will be 5 smoke-free days which equals great chance to quit!

Yetra Flam
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
then quit now, this instant, instead of putting it off until next week.

my way of getting people to quit is telling them that they're way too old to be smoking. makes them feel bad and old.

Loppfessor
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Well they say you should set a date...something concrete and visable. So that's what I did. I have cut back a lot this week. I've gone from 1/2 a pack a day to maybe 1/4 pack so it's a start

Yetra Flam
06-20-2008, 02:47 PM
whoever says set a date is wrong. if you're going to quit, do it the very moment you say you're going to quit

Loppfessor
06-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Get off my back ok!!..you're stressing me out and it's making want to smoke!

Yetra Flam
06-20-2008, 02:51 PM
muahaha

so yeah, i started smoking again because of "stress at work" and generally shitty stressful things happening in my life (lol cliche)
but it's not that much. and it's one of the few enjoyable things i have in my life at the moment. and i'm not too old to be smoking. yet.

abcdefz
06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I love the smug superiority of non-smokers.

Yetra Flam
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
i know, right?

Lyman Zerga
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
ill probably start smoking when im already as good as dead like when im around 60, just in case it is true that you only live once. i may also try some sex, maybe.

abcdefz
06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Give bathing a shot, too. (y)

BangkokB
06-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. So I won't

Lyman Zerga
06-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Give bathing a shot, too. (y)

i would say find yourself a bag of humor but seems like you missed the last train, old man

maybe next life (y)

QueenAdrock
06-20-2008, 04:04 PM
It's $28 a carton down in North Carolina...but if you get caught with a trunk of them going up north, you'll get a huuuuuuuuge fine. It's because NC doesn't have state taxes on smokes, just federal...NY has a ton of state taxes. Or so I've heard.

Like MC Moot said, smokes up here are even more expensive. I brought some back home for my friend who wanted to see the "CIGARETTES ARE KILLING UR BABY" ads on the packages, and it was $7 for the cheapest, crappiest, (and apparently, shortest) cigarettes you could get. She couldn't even finish one, they were so bad.

If I were a smoker and went through a pack a day here, it would cost damn near $3,700 a year! :eek:

BangkokB
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Queen: I would love to know where up here is. Obviously not NC

My mantra of life is 2 things
1) Is the Risk worth the Reward
2) What would Michael McDonald say?

So in New York I here that it's around $10 a pack. 10 packs per carton would equal $100 per carton...But let's be nice and knock off $5 per carton
But the cost of Gas has to be figured in. So if I was in the game my rumba would be the further north I'd go the more I'd charge. This is all off the cuff, who knows, I might even go south with this if the $ was right. That way I could bring up some sniff and it'd pay for the gas and then some.

QueenAdrock
06-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Nope, my American residence is North Carolina, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). Liquor and smokes up here are so damn expensive. And I can only bring over a carton and 1.14 L of liquor when I come back. My smoker friends ask me to bring back Camels and stuff because apparently the tobacco is a million times better and gives you a buzz. Plus, they give me like $20 as a thank-you! $48 for a carton of smokes is still half off for them!

jabumbo
06-20-2008, 05:18 PM

but i am better than you, so its okay

BangkokB
06-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Just as a White people are better than an Asian

Join the Army: You'd make a great killing machine with logical skills like that

Dorothy Wood
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I finally cleared out my private sun room and set up a nice little relaxing area. I just smoked a cigarette and didn't have to worry about seeing any of my neighbors or bothering them with my smoke. yay!

I think I paid $8 for this pack. a lot of times I try to find the places that do 2 for 1 deals though. I've been pretty good about only smoking a pack a week...but that gets hard on the weekend when people are constantly bumming smokes off of me.

in college, smokes were $2.75/pack. and I smoked a pack a day, so I actually spend less money now.

funk63
06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
you dont wanna live forever do ya?

ericlee
06-21-2008, 12:15 AM
that's it. I'm going back to Kuwait just on a cigarette run.

All packs of smokes, you name them, Dunhill, Camel, Marlboro etc were 1/2 k.d. ($1.75) and a carton was 4kd, 50 fils- around $19.00.

Cuban cigars were legal and you could get single Monte Cristos or Cohibas for 2 kd each.

Fuck quitting smoking. Let's just pull out of Iraq and invade countries with cheaper cigs and tobacco products. People can handle not driving with the gas prices but smokers will always want to smoke!!

ericlee
06-21-2008, 12:20 AM
oh and gas over there was 60 fils per litre, something like $1.80 per gallon when I left in 06. I imagine the price hasn't raised much either.

icy manipulator
06-21-2008, 12:39 AM
$12ish for a pack of 30 in brissy, it aint a cheap habit. but the prices really haven't gone up much in the last 3 or 4 years

ericlee
06-21-2008, 02:08 AM
$12ish for a pack of 30 in brissy, it aint a cheap habit. but the prices really haven't gone up much in the last 3 or 4 years

For a 30 pack seems reasonable. It's rare to hear of 30 packs as is but as long as it stays at a ridiculous rate and seldom changes in price then it's all good. You've already established your lifestyle and budget and have been used to it.

When your lifestyle increases and your budget stays the same within a matter of months, or in this case, a day!! Shit!!

Lex Diamonds
06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
You chumps have it easy, decent cigs are nearly £6 ($12) for a pack of 20 round here. I generally smoke a pack a day or just under, so you can work out how fucking expensive this shit is for yourself.

ericlee
06-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I bought a pack of Bugler roll your owns. They're still $2.40, not bad, the flavor isn't all that bad either.

I'm just not ready to quit yet, I still find smoking enjoyable and with my inlaws still living in my apartment, smoking is a little stress relieving.