PDA

View Full Version : Digestion

abcdefz
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
So how long does it take to digest food?

I always thought it was one to two days.

But if that's the case, how can food occasionally "go right through" you?

Or does bad food (or greasy or whatever) just, uh, lube up the process again and it's still older food that's flushing out?

Sorry to be gross, but I'm Curious George.

insertnamehere
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I once had some stomach issues for about a week where approximatly 15 min after i started eating I'd poop out whatever I just ate exactly as it just was.

I told my mom and she told me that wasn't possible because it takes several hours/a day/whatever for food to go through you, and I'm like no, seriously, and she was like, well if that actually happened then you need to go to the doctor. So I shut up about it. I don't know how she was trying to tell me it wasn't the food I just ate. It was pretty much identical to what it had been 15 mins earlier.

Oh, so to answer your question, I think it depends on a lot of factors.

funk63
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
doesnt it depend on what you drink alot? I thought I heard that.

AceFace
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
in massage school i was taught that pretty much whatever you ate at that time yesterday is what is coming out today, so 24 hours.

i'd say the stuff that "goes right through you" is more of the reaction and not the actual food. ooh or it might be your body's way of getting rid of things it doesn't feel it can digest.

when i eat food i'm allergic to (which is everything :() i get a pretty quick response time. but it's the allergy causing the problem and it's the food from some time ago.

this is gross talking about it.

abcdefz
06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
That sounds about right.

Except for the "this is gross" part. :D

AceFace
06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
i'm not one to talk about things like that most of the time.

hell, my husband and i don't even... fart... around each other. that's the 4 letter "f word" i hate.

abcdefz
06-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Farting's pretty gross.

A janitor and friend at the place I used to work used to take great delight in farting near me. I finally explained to him that the smell really is
fecal matter going up your nose. That grossed him out enough that he stopped doing it (around me, anyway).

cookiepuss
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM
here's something I don't get...

sometimes I'll eat something...lets say I eat a carrot and later I eat some french fries. then for whatever reason I get sick to my stomach and i barf...except when I barf I only barf a little and I see that it's the carrot that came up...not the french fries.

so are there like compartments in my stomach? am i like a cow? how can I barf up the thing I ate before the last thing I ate?

kll
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
another thing regarding having food not sit well is that i figure there are 2 categories - the barfers and the shitters.

if i'm having a rough time of it with a food i ate, i am a shitter

i rarely, if ever throw up, and if i do - it's from alcohol

like cp - my best friend pukes up anything unsettling and rarely has the shits - and if she does - it's from alcohol

weird digestion stuff!

abcdefz
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't know how regional it is, but we had a saying: "I lost my stomach." Basically it meant either barfing or diarrhea.

Freebasser
06-26-2008, 02:32 PM
when I barf I only barf a little and I see that it's the carrot that came up

That'll be your stomach lining then.

taquitos
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Whoa, crazy, i was just asking people at work about this a couple days ago. They thought it was gross, too (i.e. they didn't know cuz they stupid).

insertnamehere
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
When my tummy isn't upset, I poop very rarely, like, every few days to once a week-ish. I'm not sure how that's physically possible, as it seems the amount going out is a lot less than the amount going in. Of course its pretty common, i'd say once a monthish I get an upset tummy and poop a lot.

jabumbo
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
if i drink a lot of coffee (usually meaning more than 2 cups in a 24 hour period), i produces some of the best trips to the john. so if i ever want to force a bad vibe out, i just have a bunch of coffee and wait the hour or two before it shoots right out.

Lyman Zerga
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Farting's pretty gross.

A janitor and friend at the place I used to work used to take great delight in farting near me. I finally explained to him that the smell really is
fecal matter going up your nose. That grossed him out enough that he stopped doing it (around me, anyway).

by now i would be a centonaire if i got a cent anytime i hear this story but i hear you! my dad had attention whorish 24/7 fartulence :(

sorry but i couldnt be together with the hottest guy if he was a swine like that, im not too picky but bad manners are for assholes

and i didnt puke in like 10 years, now thats class! (y)

abcdefz
06-26-2008, 03:26 PM
by now i would be a centonaire if i got a cent anytime i hear this story but i hear you!

Sorry. I hate knowing that I repeat myself so much.

Lyman Zerga
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Sorry. I hate knowing that I repeat myself so much.

i actually do the same but i got the luck that people dont read my posts

Bob
06-26-2008, 04:27 PM
if i drink a lot of coffee (usually meaning more than 2 cups in a 24 hour period), i produces some of the best trips to the john. so if i ever want to force a bad vibe out, i just have a bunch of coffee and wait the hour or two before it shoots right out.

that used to work for me too, but lately (in the past few months or so probably) it's just been making me fart.

anyway i remember hearing that it was 8 hours in high school health class, they couldn't have been lying