PDA

View Full Version : So, I just found out I'm going to be a student...

Caribou
06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Finally! It took me a year and a half of work and a lot of stress, but I made it! w00t!
I had already passed 4 exams last year and failed the final one twice. So I tried again last month and was convinved I had failed again (I had a massive blackout, started writing in the last half hour or so, and didn't answer 30/40%of the questions at all), but Huzzah, I still scored 65%!

I wonder what it'll be like to be a student. It's been such a long time since I went to high-school, so I hope I can get into the rythm of getting up early and actually doing some work. And I wonder if I'm not gonna feel old between all the 18-year-old kids, and if I won't get bored by the course. (Medieval British literature? *gulp*)

Do you guys have any advice for a first-year student, or some good stories about how you nearly died of alcohol poisoning or something?

Share!

Freebasser
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I went back to university on Saturday to meet up with some old flatmates and hang out for the day. It was really weird going back, like a part of you still belongs there, but everything's changed and nobody you knew in those 3 years lives there any more. I had a ton of voices echoing throughout my head wherever I went, and it was great but sad at the same time.

I hated uni at the time, but now I'd give anything to go back and relive those crazy days of sitting in the pub all day followed by Countdown (with Richard bloody Whiteley!), eating instant noodles at 2am and getting up late for exams (and subsequently failing them) but not having a care in the world. It really is the best time of your life, whether you know it at the time or not.

Enjoy it, Noukie-Pants. Savour every moment!

P.S. While I was there I wrote "Planetary is a bender" in anti-vandal paint on the side of Molineux.

paul jones
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
(y)well done mate!

I have no advice on university or being a student though,sorry

na§tee
06-29-2008, 06:18 PM
congratulations!

i think kids go to university too early nowadays (see a thread triple dee made quite a while ago; i won't go into it much here) - right after school, not too sure what they want to do, just do it because it is the expected thing to do.

so if anything i think you, at 23 (really young - five years is nothing) will have the competitive edge. you've had time to decide what you want. medieval literature for 3/4 years? fair enough. go for it!

first year student advice. hmmm.

i don't know. i would have taken the year abroad offered to me in 2nd year that i turned down. do that. opportunities to travel - go for it. don't piss it away drinking and staying in the country because you think it is best for your degree/a boy/whatever. what do you want to do after? do you have an idea? don't worry if you don't, alot of us are clueless.

seriously, it'll go past like *that*.

take every opportunity going. any extra-curricular activities you enjoy, immerse yourself in them now. when you enter the 'real world' you may not have this luxury.

you are a lucky girl. if i had the chance to do it a second time around i'd do it a little differently.

i graduated with a first class degree aged freaking 21 and, even though it is the best result you can get, i wish i had not been too rushed. well done you! (y)

Caribou
06-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Woah, 21 is incredibly young! That's amazing. :eek:

I am going to do my best to enjoy student life as much as I can. I've already signed up for the 'Albion Society', which is specially for students of 'English Language & Culture'. They have tea-parties and Monty Python nights. Hurray! (y). And I have the plan to study in England if I get the chance to.

Because I've been out of school and working for almost 4 years I know that this is what I want to do, though (as you mentioned) like many I have no idea what I want to do after I've finished. But I've heard that with English you can do pretty much anything, as long as you get your degree.

But I think the 4 years of work will also be my disadvantage. I have learned to be independant, earn my own money and do whatever I like. My parents are also used to this.
They won't help me financially, which I understand, but it will make things difficult. All my friends get everything paid by mummy and daddy, don't need to get a job and have time for fun things.
I am going to have to keep my job, as I will get a much lower Grant than most (My parents earn too much, apparently. :s). So I'm gonna have to struggle to keep myself out of debt. But I'm just keeping in mind it's all for a good cause and that it might be shite now, but it will make my future better. I'm going to make the best of it.

And I'm looking forward to actually using my brain again and becoming good at something. I've worked under my level for so many years I actually notice I've become far less intelligent. I'm gonna try to fix that. (y)

Planetary
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I went back to university on Saturday to meet up with some old flatmates and hang out for the day. It was really weird going back, like a part of you still belongs there, but everything's changed and nobody you knew in those 3 years lives there any more. I had a ton of voices echoing throughout my head wherever I went, and it was great but sad at the same time.

I hated uni at the time, but now I'd give anything to go back and relive those crazy days of sitting in the pub all day followed by Countdown (with Richard bloody Whiteley!), eating instant noodles at 2am and getting up late for exams (and subsequently failing them) but not having a care in the world. It really is the best time of your life, whether you know it at the time or not.

Enjoy it, Noukie-Pants. Savour every moment!

P.S. While I was there I wrote "Planetary is a bender" in anti-vandal paint on the side of Molineux.

Pride of the black country.... :')

wait, what?