PDA

View Full Version : English help!

miss soul fire
06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey, hi!

I need some English help here.

Is there any kind of saying like "you only lose, if you try" or "you only make mistakes, if you try"?

If so, how do you write it?

Edit: It means that only people who tries to do something, fail. Not that the person always fails, but it means that people who don't do anything, never make miskates because they never actually try to do something. They are the ones who are losers. So, that's the meaning.

camo
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
you could say: you learn from your mistakes

Guy Incognito
06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey, hi!

Is there any kind of saying like "you only lose, if you try" or "you only make mistakes, if you try"?

Edit: It means that only people who tries to do something, fail. Not that the person always fails, but it means that people who don't do anything, never make miskates because they never actually try to do something. They are the ones who are losers. So, that's the meaning.

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.

mathcart
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey, hi!

possibly:

"If you don't try you can't lose(fail), but you also can't win(succeed)"

faz
06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Trying is the first step toward failure - Homer Simpson

Bob
06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Trying is the first step toward failure - Homer Simpson

yeah this is basically the only thing i can think of and it's technically from the simpsons but i think it's become popular enough to be a real saying by now

so yes, this is the answer you were looking for

thegoodmrbrodie!
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
if at first you don't succeed, try try try again. or something. :)

Bob
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
yeah this is basically the only thing i can think of and it's technically from the simpsons but i think it's become popular enough to be a real saying by now

so yes, this is the answer you were looking for

actually i take it back, this is not the answer you were looking for, i didn't read your edit. something like "nothing ventured nothing gained" is basically what you mean, or maybe "you can't win if you don't play"

paul jones
07-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey, hi!

Where the hell have you been Roby?

(y)

Well,already there's been the answers to that question amongst the answers but I'll just say 'Bollocks'

marsdaddy
07-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Yeah, "Nothing venture, nothing gained" or "If you're afraid to lose, you're afraid to win"

insertnamehere
07-01-2008, 01:31 AM
it's like lotto, you gotta be in it to win it :p

miss soul fire
07-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Hey, thanks, guys! Thanks a lot!!! I'm so happy you guys helped me! Well, you always help me though. Hihi.:D

Paul, I've been here, working hard. I got a good job a few months ago as a public servant. I finally passed the tests and all, but I'm still studying hard to get a better one, so whenever I'm at work, I'm working (and studying sometimes) and whenever I'm home I'm studying. Oh well, life's good anyway!

I missed "bolllocks" by the way!:D

abcdefz
07-01-2008, 09:32 AM
You cannot win if you do not play.

I'm trying to think -- what's that line sampled on Paul's Boutique about the lotto...?

AceFace
07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
if at first you don't succeed, try try try again. or something. :)
this seems right to me.

b-grrrlie
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I'm trying to think -- what's that line sampled on Paul's Boutique about the lotto...?
"It's like lotto you gotta be in it to win it"

Junker
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Sampled I don't know but there's this line from Car Thief:

"The bingo the lotto you know I'll never win those"

Junker
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey, thanks, guys! Thanks a lot!!! I'm so happy you guys helped me! Well, you always help me though. Hihi.:D

Paul, I've been here, working hard. I got a good job a few months ago as a public servant. I finally passed the tests and all, but I'm still studying hard to get a better one, so whenever I'm at work, I'm working (and studying sometimes) and whenever I'm home I'm studying. Oh well, life's good anyway!

I missed "bolllocks" by the way!:D

The 'Banco do Brasil' test?????

Guy Incognito
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
a similar english saying is "if you dont buy a ticket you wont win the raffle"

insertnamehere
07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
"It's like lotto you gotta be in it to win it"

haha, i beat you to it dear

miss soul fire
07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
The 'Banco do Brasil' test?????
Oi, junker! Tudo bem?

Na verdade, eu passei no concurso do FNDE (autarquia ligada ao MEC) pra Técnico. Estou lá há quase 3 meses, mas também passei no INSS pra analista. Talvez me chamem ainda este ano. Mas continuo estudando. Fazer o que, né. Hihihihi!:D

insertnamehere
07-01-2008, 09:05 PM
wat :confused:

silence7
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Do, or do not... there is no try.
Yoda

insertnamehere
07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
FUCK YEAH I LOVE THAT QUOTE

i dont know that it entirely works in this situation, but like, yeah

once i was trashed covered in vomit in a shower with alcohol poisoning and this dude kept saying youre not gonna throw up anymore ok? and i was like, i'll try, and he was like, no, you're not gonna try, you're just not gonna throw up anymore, and then i started talking about yoda and how he said try not, do or do not, there is no try and whenever he told me not to throw up id say it again and then he talked to me about star wars to keep me awake

how nerdy is that? nerdy. near death, and im talking about fucking star wars. im a nerd.

oh, and your lectures on drinking are unneccisary. i learned my lesson when i woke up the next morning in front of a convenience store with no pants on and had to go take a test still drunk with puke in my hair dressed in mens clothes.

Bob
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
you know if you actually had alcohol poisoning, he probably should have just let you keep throwing up. what was he, like "no! keep the poison in!" is that what he was like? don't hang out with him anymore he's bad for you

insertnamehere
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
im not really sure if i had official alcohol poisoning... im sort of guessing, i had been passed out on my back when i started puking and he put me in the shower and was trying to keep me awake. he was a good sport about the whole thing. i threw up all over his room and in his bed. all in all i think he did an excellent job of keeping me alive. he fortunatly woke up when he heard me vomiting. he had been sleeping on the floor, not like, in the bed with me.

i bought him new sheets and at a later time bailed him out of jail in the middle of the night, which required me to go to our boss and ask for both of our paychecks in advance, in cash (he paid me back immediatly upon his release), so i'd say we're square

Jollop
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
maybe this is related >

Fail to plan = plan to fail!

Of course, if anyone ever says this out loud, you are entitled to punch them in the face:p

BangkokB
07-05-2008, 09:00 AM
That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger ~ Nietzsche

taquitos
07-05-2008, 04:24 PM