PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks is Closing 600 Stores

yeahwho
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Starbucks closing 600 Stores (http://www.komonews.com/news/22780489.html)

Does anybody have any good ideas of what could replace them? I want to get rich but I'm sort of too lazy to know what to replace these stores with, Thanks.

Bob
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
dunkin' donuts. in these hard times, the workin' man's overpriced (but delicious) coffee will prevail

no joke, in the area where i used to work, there are 3 dunkin' donutses within maybe 100 yards of each other. there's one, another one down the street and another one literally right around the corner of the building that the other one is part of (there's a starbucks between them). and they're all packed at peak hours

yeahwho
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
dunkin' donuts. in these hard times, the workin' man's overpriced (but delicious) coffee will prevail

no joke, in the area where i used to work, there are 3 dunkin' donutses within maybe 100 yards of each other. there's one, another one down the street and another one literally right around the corner of the building that the other one is part of (there's a starbucks between them). and they're all packed at peak hours

Your on it, coincidentally I went to the Seattle fancy donut store last week TopPot donuts (http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/html/) and their donut was dry and cardboardy, to make up for it I went to the shady corner Western Donut store at the strip mall and was estactic at the freshness and variety.

Your right Big Time!

Plus Top Pot just recently was bragging about their exclusive Starbucks contract (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/349616_toppot01.html)... sort of like first class on the Titantic bragging now.

Loppfessor
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
600 down...6 billion to go!

Bob
07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
i honestly sometimes forget that dunkin' donuts sells donuts, i think of them as more of a coffee chain now. they should call themselves "dunkin' coffee"

like "dunk in coffee".........OH, dunk in donuts! i get it now!

yeahwho
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I bought a French Crueller at Top Pot and it was solid, cakey, dry and hard.

WTF?

I didn't have the nerve to complain that day, I should of because I'll never purchase anything from them again. That is how I work I guess.

The same thing happened at Starbucks with their burnt up beans, I haven't been there in 4 years.

Seattle only has one dunkin donuts I can think of, they do have awesome coffee and a nice everybodies welcome feel to their stores, a sort of 70's style that just screams smoke weed, eat donuts and get caffeined up.

Planetary
07-01-2008, 06:44 PM
England hasn't been plagued with dunkin' donuts yet. no doubt it will happen soon though... :( another outlet for me to unnecessarily spend what little cash i earn...

Bob
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
i think the secret of dunkin' donuts is that their coffee isn't necessarily that good, it's just that the staff are trained to put so much fucking cream and sugar in it that it makes it delicious. like hot chocolate that gets you high. i watched the guy once, he must have put a good 5-6 spoonfuls of sugar in it and i'm drinking it and i'm thinking "drinking this every day is probably taking 5 years off of my life" and i could totally just do it at home and save $2/day but i can't help myself, it's so tasty

Dorothy Wood
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I hope they don't close the one by my house because sometimes I like to get a breakfast sandwich there and a black iced tea. like once a month or less though.

otherwise, I don't drink coffee and every starbucks I've been to has rude workers and I hate it there because you have to say stupid words when you order, so they can close all the rest and it wouldn't affect me.

yeahwho
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
and every starbucks I've been to has rude workers and I hate it there because you have to say stupid words when you order, so they can close all the rest and it wouldn't affect me.

you've summed it up, why do they have to act like assholes when all I want is some coffee, which reminds me of that Larry David episode where he stops off at Starbucks and orders one of those vanilla bullshit coffees.

jabumbo
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
for coffee chains, starbucks really isnt that great of a coffee

dunkin donuts though man, i love their coffee! they just opened up again in town (the first one in the city proper for at least 10 years) and i enjoyed a delicious cup this morning. they know whats up

Documad
07-02-2008, 12:40 AM

You live in Boston, right? I've never seen so many Dunkin Donuts stores as in Boston. When people I know are going to Boston I tell them to watch out for Dunkin Donuts. The last time I had a Dunkin Donut was when I was in Boston in fact. We used to have one in a small town 90 miles south of here and I used to stop there when I was driving through town on business but I think that one closed too. :(

I miss 7-11s too. :mad:
I hope they don't close the one by my house because sometimes I like to get a breakfast sandwich there and a black iced tea. like once a month or less though.

otherwise, I don't drink coffee and every starbucks I've been to has rude workers and I hate it there because you have to say stupid words when you order, so they can close all the rest and it wouldn't affect me.
We never had the breakfast sandwiches but I used to get them in Seattle and they were yummy. Then they took them out of the Seattle locations I went to because apparently people complained about the smell. :rolleyes: We also get really shitty baked goods here but they get nice scones in San Francisco, etc. I don't get it.

I guess it depends on where you live but the people who work at the two Starbucks that I visit daily could not be nicer. I just left a Starbucks in fact, where they let me buy my coffee and then work on my laptop for hours and they're lovely people. That location has the big chairs and fireplace. And the people who serve me coffee in the morning are marvelous. They're almost too cheery. When I'm in a big city like Chicago and they only have the Starbucks' with the tiny storefront and the uncomfortable stools I feel sad.

I've had much better coffee, but when I'm traveling in the US, I book a hotel that's within two blocks of a Starbucks every time. Especially if I'm traveling with someone else. I need to get away and read and have my cup of coffee by myself in the morning.

By the way, they're apparently closing stores that were opened fairly recently -- they overbuilt. It makes me wonder because they just opened a new one that is too close to my main location and I don't get it. The new one is in a worse location too--difficult to park, etc. It seemed like a dumb move right from the beginning and maybe I was right.

na§tee
07-02-2008, 03:32 AM
planetary - they have dunkin donuts in.. uh, no they don't. they have krispy kreme at paddington station. move along, everybody, move along.

roosta
07-02-2008, 03:56 AM
When I was in Las Vegas I tried a Krispy Kreme. I did not enjoy it, it was faaar too sweet. I thought my face was going to cave in to a singular point in the middle of my mouth such was my reaction.

I like a good regular donut though. Or Doughnut as we are want to call them.

Lyman Zerga
07-02-2008, 07:44 AM
send them to me!

Pres Zount
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
We just got Starbucks in Hobart :cool:

It's going to close soon then, is it? :cool:

cookiepuss
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
oh what? Starbucks oversaturated thier own market? Hahhahaha. Suckas!

WTF did they think would happen when they opened up starbucks across the street from another starbucks? World Domination? it's just not a good business plan.

Planetary
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
planetary - they have dunkin donuts in.. uh, no they don't. they have krispy kreme at paddington station. move along, everybody, move along.

yeah. my nearest krispy kreme is birmingham, and i cant afford to pay for them unless my girlfriend buys them for em :D

everyone talking about dunkin donuts coffee is making it sound really nice. nicer than i can imagine coffee possibly being. must be crack in it...or strawberry jam...

AceFace
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
WTF did they think would happen when they opened up starbucks across the street from another starbucks? World Domination? it's just not a good business plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iMgSNrwv4

(y)

Documad
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
We got our first krispy creme 3-4 years ago in some far flung suburb. People actually drove out there, lined up, and brought donuts into work in the city. I drove by about a year ago and noticed that it had closed. So now there are none. I never understood the appeal.

Bob
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah. my nearest krispy kreme is birmingham, and i cant afford to pay for them unless my girlfriend buys them for em :D

everyone talking about dunkin donuts coffee is making it sound really nice. nicer than i can imagine coffee possibly being. must be crack in it...or strawberry jam...

like i said: about 6 spoons of sugar

Documad
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh please. Bob is obviously not an experienced coffee drinker. Don't listen to him!

jabumbo
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
We got our first krispy creme 3-4 years ago in some far flung suburb. People actually drove out there, lined up, and brought donuts into work in the city. I drove by about a year ago and noticed that it had closed. So now there are none. I never understood the appeal.

they are good/melt in your mouth when they are hot fresh from the oven. but if they arent hot, they just turn into a messy breakfast

Planetary
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
You want me to fuckin melt in your mouth and not in your hand? Melt in your ass you little cock boy.

Lyman Zerga
07-03-2008, 06:05 AM
i forgot that krispy kreme exists, people in here didnt talk much about it lately

venusvenus123
07-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Starbucks closing 600 Stores (http://www.komonews.com/news/22780489.html)

Does anybody have any good ideas of what could replace them? I want to get rich but I'm sort of too lazy to know what to replace these stores with, Thanks.

1. make decent coffee
2. don't sell it at ridiculously inflated price
3. don't open up stores within sneezing distance from each other (like everyone here said already)

those are my 3 ideas to help starbucks. as for helping you to get rich quick... sorry, i'm clean out of ideas today!

btw, about dunkin donuts, we had those in london a good few (about 10) years ago. they closed down a while ago now

krispy kreme do better coffee than starbucks. i quite like the donuts, but they are (allegedly) as addictive as crack

Documad
07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
they are good/melt in your mouth when they are hot fresh from the oven. but if they arent hot, they just turn into a messy breakfast

That would explain a lot. I never eat a donut at a donut shop because I don't seek out donuts. I've only had them when people brought them to a work meeting.

I'm more of a bagel person.

camo
07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Donut's for breakfast? Fat bastards :D

jabumbo
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
You want me to fuckin melt in your mouth and not in your hand? Melt in your ass you little cock boy.

wait wait...

did you just say you are going to melt in my mouth, and then call me the cock boy? :confused:

insertnamehere
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
i never get regular coffee at starbucks. the fancy shit is where it's at if you're gonna go there. caramel frappacinos and what have you. maybe its just my location, but everyone at the starbucks around here is really friendly and nice.

i remember once i ordered an eggnog latte and ended up having an exchange likt this

guy: have you had this one before
me: no
guy: oh, well uh... i'd kind of recommend against it. how much do you like eggnog?
me: uh... i like it
guy: *to girl coworker* what do you think of the eggnog latte?
girl: do you reeeeeaaaaallly like eggnog?
me: i mean i guess its ok
girl: i like eggnog, but it's like, REALLY eggnog-y
other girl working there: yeah, it's pretty bad
me: oh... well... i appreciate your honesty. *orders something else*

i thought that was nice of them, to give me a heads up like that. most people would just let your order something terrible. they all always seem super happy and polite too.

krispy kreme creampuffs.... mmmmm. or is it kremepuffs?

damnit you guys, now i want doughnuts.

insertnamehere
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM

this is why they have the "hot doughnut" light. that was a brilliant idea on their part.

in all honesty i thought krisy kremes only existed in the south :confused:

Echewta
07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
We have Krispy Kremes here in L.A. It was trendy for awhile to get really drunk, go through the drive-thru, order a dozen sprinkled donuts chow down and then go home. Then we realized that it was a bad idea and went back to getting drunk, standing in line in front of Tommy's, getting chili cheese everything, going home and eating while laughing at Cheaters. Then falling asleep hoping you remembered to brush your teeth because it ain't pretty waking up with your mouth kick'n like Cheeto.

taquitos
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM

it was that way for ages, but then they opened a couple up nawth and i guess people flipped out.

i think it grew exponentially from there.

jabumbo
07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
this is why they have the "hot doughnut" light. that was a brilliant idea on their part.

its a shame the light is only on about 1 hour each day

we used to have about a dozen of them in the metro area, but i think now we only have 2 or 3 tops

taquitos
07-04-2008, 11:44 AM
its a shame the light is only on about 1 hour each day
ours comes on every hour or so at least

Documad
07-04-2008, 03:03 PM
it was that way for ages, but then they opened a couple up nawth and i guess people flipped out.

i think it grew exponentially from there.

And then they started going out of business. It was a big deal when they came up here -- lots of news coverage, but now we don't have them anywhere in the state and there are very few left in the whole midwest.

mikizee
07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
We have Krispy Kreme here in Adelaide. Never tried them though.

And Starbucks. I call them Starsucks. I'm pretty sure I invented that term.