PDA

View Full Version : Your Museum

Loppfessor
07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
A couple weeks ago I was visiting with a friend who is a curator of a museum down in New Orleans. Now his house is insane....it's packed to the ceiling with all sorts of cool stuff that he has collected. Anyway he was telling me bout how when he was a kid he went to a museum with a Theodore Roosevelt exhibit and one of the items featured was a report card from his childhood. This made my buddy think that he should save everything from then on cus one day they might need items for his museum lol.

I thought it was a great story and it made me laugh. So I got to thinkin what sorts of things have I acquired or held onto that may featured in my museum. I'm still working on a list but while I do that how bout you guys share some things that would be in the museum of you!

ms.peachy
07-08-2008, 03:57 AM
My friend Susan's house it like this. (We call it 'the Suseum'.) She and her husband are both artists and their house, well first of all the house itself is like a sculpture or something. I mean it's a regular house but inside, all the railings and mantles and large wooden stuff is all basically tree trunks and branches that her husband has polished and shaped and carved. The tile floors in the bathrooms and kitchen are mosaics made from bits of broken tile and crockery and other assorted shiny things. The walls are covered with paintings (their own, their kid's, other artists) and other random things like postcards, photos, clippings from magazines, paint and fabric swatches. And then just everywhere you look, there's stuff. Everything from action figures to interesting stones to ceramics to... whatever, you name it. and the thing is, everything looks like it's exactly where it's supposed to be, you know? Like it's this giant eclectic chaotic mess, but it's a very peaceful, restful place.

yeahwho
07-08-2008, 07:07 AM
I went on a postcard and old pulp fiction binge in the early 90's. I have about 29 shoeboxes of postcards which hold about 900 postcards each, these caeds for the most part are fro 1910 till the mid-60's... main streets, diners, old cars, carnivals, real photos "one of a kind' of families and their prize possessions, skyscrapers, lakes, citys, early Disneyland and a lot of highly embossed religious cards depicting various prayers in sets of 4-6-8 all in mint shape ande all interesting enough to post. My favorite style of cards are the large letter cards with the come on like this "Greetings From St Louis (http://www.the2buds.com/pc/mo/MO_0065.jpg)" style.

I have all 50 states in curt tech linen from the 30's, 40's and 50's. I have massive amounts of cards, I joined the NWpostcard club (http://www.pnpcc.com/) for 2 years and actually went up and down the west coast buying postcards, old paper ads and die-cut one of a kind pin ups and posters.

I also have about 30 cardboard tubes holding pictures made of pastels, 200+ block prints and 40 or so oli paintings from local artists, we use to go hang out at a few of the local artists houses right around closing time and get some pretty good art for very cheap. It becomes obsessive real quick. Plus I have about 30 archive boxes of old pulp fiction paperbacks from the late 50's up to the mid 70's.

I also have massive flyers from Las Vegas during the early 70's for shows around the strip. They're fucking awesome.

Yet with all of this stuff, only one item hangs on my wall oh wait make that two, a display I made that has a hundred Americana postcards and an oil painting of Mount Rainer which is wicked good.

I'm totally into collecting but have stopped the past 5 years due to this stuff is not easy to find anymore.

Loppfessor
07-08-2008, 07:51 AM
That's pretty interesting...I usually pick up a post card from every place I visit but you are hard core!

Lyman Zerga
07-08-2008, 08:47 AM
i would love to collect war/nazi stuff but i never found anything, unbelievable huh?

Loppfessor
07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Two questiosn why? and Are you serious? I can't imagine that stuff is terribly difficult to find in Europe

Lyman Zerga
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
you would find lots of nazi stuff on the water ground, i guess but yeah too much work

Loppfessor
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
LOL...that's what I figured

Dorothy Wood
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
My friend Susan's house it like this. (We call it 'the Suseum'.) She and her husband are both artists and their house, well first of all the house itself is like a sculpture or something. I mean it's a regular house but inside, all the railings and mantles and large wooden stuff is all basically tree trunks and branches that her husband has polished and shaped and carved. The tile floors in the bathrooms and kitchen are mosaics made from bits of broken tile and crockery and other assorted shiny things. The walls are covered with paintings (their own, their kid's, other artists) and other random things like postcards, photos, clippings from magazines, paint and fabric swatches. And then just everywhere you look, there's stuff. Everything from action figures to interesting stones to ceramics to... whatever, you name it. and the thing is, everything looks like it's exactly where it's supposed to be, you know? Like it's this giant eclectic chaotic mess, but it's a very peaceful, restful place.

that's what I want my junk to turn into to! I'm working on arranging everything so it looks interesting rather than cluttered.

I have a bunch of crap from my childhood saved in bins. it's kind of annoying. I should make a giant art piece out of all of it or something.

Echewta
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I just have me in my museum. I figure I'm old enough. Though I don't wear a fig leaf and I'm certainly not that white.

NoFenders
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Toy cars/old skate boards

I've got way too many. HotWheels alone are at about 4000. Then there's Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Tootsie Toy, and many others (mostly over 30 yrs old) that all reside in totes scattered throughout my storage. All sizes and colors along with different sets (tracks/cities) and even promotional gear. Most cars are still in original packaging, but a lot of old ones are not. It's really crazy. I've been collecting since I had my first dollar and haven't stopped since.

My skateboard collection has gotten bigger as of late. Found a big box at my parents house that had all old school stuff. Rat Bones (brand new) and old Gullwing trucks, along with several Alva Posse decks (my fav). An entire Thrasher collection from like 88 through 95. And then various decks, wheels, trucks, stickers, and T-shirts. Another collection that sits in closed boxes. I really need to get these things displayed.

:cool:

Loppfessor
07-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I came up with a few items that would be in the Lopp mueseum...my mom has like very award certificat etc from my childhood days so that would be cool. Plus when I was lad I had this lil red bench that I used to stand on to reach stuff and brush my teeth etc. My mom still has that at her house. And of course my baby blanket that I still have in my room today (they'll have to wait till I'm dead take that though)

Also I was thinkin maybe my letters from high school sports and all my "pins" from wrestling....when you pinned a guy our wrestler-etts (cheerleaders) made you a safety pin with ribbons of the guys school colors attached. I'm still thinkin bout stuff from my adult life so stay tuned

beastieangel01
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
interesting topic!

Hmm, I cannot think of a whole lot at the moment BUT
I'd say my art piece that won me first place when I was in third grade. It was judged by college students too. I was so happy, especially because my original entry was ruined by my Mom accidently placing a glass on the paper not paying attention (so the condensation ruined the drawing).

paul jones
07-10-2008, 01:15 AM
echewta Land dioramas and echewta action figures