PDA

View Full Version : What are you like when a plane takes off/lands?

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
You can never spot an anxious flier. As a passenger, do you freak out a little or do you enjoy the one part of the ride that people control?

*ACTUAL SURVEY QUESTION

TAL
07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
They're the best parts of flying.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I like the meals. Take off > Landing tho.

na§tee
07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
i am (http://beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=75260) a bit scared of take-off now that i am older and less fearless, yes.

it used to be the most exciting part. all fast and angular and whizz bang coolness. now i'm like.. ugghhh if something's going to go wrong it's going to go wrong NOW and we're fucked. i don't mind being in planes when they are level; fine, it's quite enjoyable. but when you are sat at the back of a particularly large plane and you can see the area in front of you at a steep incline - nah, i don't like that.

when i fly to melbourne in a couple of months i am going to have a couple of DRINKS.

trailerprincess
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
They're the best parts of flying.

Agree. And then the drinks trolley.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
My thread-search card got revoked.

na§tee
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
i didn't link it to say you replicated my almost two year old thread, btw. yours is on a specific part of flying after all. i just didn't want to include all i had said in there again : p

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
What did you say in that thread?

na§tee
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
various stuff you can read there without me having to copy and paste it in here?

EDIT: i realise me saying "not include everything i said in there again" makes me seem like there are things i would like omitted from there, now.

no, i just didn't want to repeat myself about how i am a big baby that still watches air crash investigations.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes.

Has anyone had a real sidelong landing? Like cross lift the plane toward one side and it's like flying around inside heavy garbage.

I see the ground comin on cuz, woof there it wuz.

ms.peachy
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
It depends; how much Valium have I had?

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
30. Is that many?

AceFace
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
landing is pretty much when my green stomach turns and everything comes up. i get incredibly airsick, although i LOVE flying.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I drank 20 steinlagers on the flight from Sydney to Christchurch.

bigblu89
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm usually asleep. But neither bother me.

Loppfessor
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah I"m usually asleep before we have fully taken off and I get woken up with the initial bump when we land...

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I tried to gypsy it up once and lay down in the aisle. They didn't like that

ms.peachy
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
30. Is that many?

(y) no that's perfect. In that case yeah I am totally OK for takeoff.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Why only then?

camo
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I have inner ear problems due so my left ear always refuses to pop on landing and hurts for 2-3 days after unless I pack my ear with an ear plug and hold it in tightly, so landing is always crap for me.

taquitos
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
i like takeoff because it means we are finally out of line and getting somewhere,
i hate the wait before takeoff. i like landing because it means we're there.

i used to fly so much that all the intrigue is totally gone, it's just boring old transit.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Is that like bathwater or worse?

na§tee
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I have inner ear problems due so my left ear always refuses to pop on landing and hurts for 2-3 days after unless I pack my ear with an ear plug and hold it in tightly, so landing is always crap for me.
me too. people think 'oh, her ears are just a bit sore' but the pain is incredibly intense. i almost starting crying the last landing i had when traveling to bristol. the woman next to me asked what the matter was. i was just sat there hunched forwards furious rubbing that area behind your ear where it meets jaw.

the pain is absolutely throbbing and it continues for hours when you land if it is particularly bad.

i've had problems with my ears for years. i had lots of shit removed/inserted when i was younger. i have actually no idea what the problem is. i never asked back then. it's a bit of a grey area. hmm. /calls mum.

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
That's the problem; all the poking of your ears. And the doctor came close to brain and said: "It's a bit of a grey area"

na§tee
07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
:(

Kid Presentable
07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I have arms like oak trees.

camo
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, it's horrible. It's quite a dull pain that changes to a sharp pain and to and fro for a few days. You can't rub it, pain killers don't work and it turns me into a proper short tempered fiend.

Mine was caused by nerve damage in my upper wisdom teeth. It's all linked by the same network of nerves. It flared up in my late teens and affected my balance (inner ear) for a few months. It felt like I was spinning around and swaying when I was sat perfectly still.

Drederick Tatum
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I despise flying these days. having done Europe-NZ countless times what ever novelty there was has long worn off. now I pound back the valium and hope that I can fall asleep.
taking off for me means 12 hours of flying ahead. landing is great though. however, I've been on flights where the passengers have all applauded once we landed so bad was the turbulence.

trailerprincess
07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I think when I come back from NZ, I think I shall be quite keen to land. 26 hours, or however long it is, is quite enough. I am thankful I decide to upgrade....

*wonders if that includes bollinger IV drip*

abcdefz
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Takeoffs and landings are the only times I worry. Takeoffs are sometimes actually fun, though. But I really really really hate
a rough landing, I found out. (n)

QueenAdrock
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Takeoffs are fun, landings are usually fine unless it's in rough weather or whatever.

It's funny, because I suffer from high anxiety, but it doesn't relate to flying. First day of going to a job? I need to be packed full of tranquilizers so I don't have an anxiety attack. Flying in a plane where I'm stuck in one little spot for 4 hours and absolutely cannot leave the vessel and am at the total mercy of other people? Sure, that's fine. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Dorothy Wood
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
when I was a kid, I used to fly alone sometimes to visit my father and I liked it alright, the flight staff always gave me golden wings and lots of cokes.

in my early 20's, I started to have anxiety and ear problems during take off and landing.

now I've got my ears under control, I have to remember to start popping them to regulate the pressure as we go up and down and it usually turns out fine. also, I figure if the plane goes down, it goes down...no use worrying about it.

ericlee
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm usually drunk for the take off and landing. Reason being is that I'll always have a layover of no less than 4 hours and the only thing I can think of to keep occupied during that time is either hit the airport bars or the nearest bar.

Last time I flew, I had an 8 hour layover in Amsterdam but it was in the wee morning hours so, I drank 0 degree Heinikens till my flight was ready.

I was likely pissed and had to piss as soon as I boarded. I tried to hold it, got finished with the taxiing, take off came and I couldn't hold. We got airborne and I got up and made my way to the bathroom and got yelled at by some burly female Dutch flight attendant to get back to my seat.

I told her I've got kidney problems but she didnt care so I got to my seat and waited till it was ok to get up.

But yeah, I usually drink myself to sleep till destination is reached. I'm usually drunk cause I can't stand flying.

hitmonlee
07-11-2008, 04:37 AM
i turn into an excited 5yo child
love it

russhie
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm like Nastee and Camo, the pain in my ears when landing is so bad - I've learnt now to ask before takeoff if they have those little eucalyptus sachets, I've found that if I open two of them and inhale DEEPLY it reduces the pain.

Last time I flew to the Gold Coast though I asked, they said they had some and then told me just prior to landing that they actually didn't have any. I was deaf in one ear for 3 days after, the pain was horribly intense.

I didn't have any ear issues when I was younger though so who knows.

paul jones
07-12-2008, 02:17 AM
I've been on planes so much now that I don't even think about it.I just sit down and wait to get off again,the thrill of looking out the window has gone but I tense up on landings cos they can be 'are we all going to die?' sort of thing.

Philadelphia last year was a bit hairy

funk63
07-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Hoping it crashes.

Lyman Zerga
07-12-2008, 04:44 AM
im too racist to fly anywhere

Helvete
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Now, planes are cool. I'm fine with flying. Except when it's a tiny ass plane that you skydive from. If jumping out of a plane wasn't scary enough, I had to do it from a plane that wobbles just taxi-ing(?) along the runway, or almost rolls when you open the door.

Oh, and landing at Basrah airport in the dead of night in a Hercules that is doing acrobatic evasive manuveurs is good fun. One minute your stomach is coming out of your ass and through the seat, then you get thrown up to the roof. Lucky I didn't puke!

hitmonlee
07-13-2008, 11:22 AM
i get fairly bad ear pain and each time i've returned to perth i've had a cold blocked up in my head for about a week eugh... my dad gets that too so i figure its a thing... but i still love takeoff and landing.

Lyman Zerga
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Now, planes are cool. I'm fine with flying. Except when it's a tiny ass plane that you skydive from. If jumping out of a plane wasn't scary enough, I had to do it from a plane that wobbles just taxi-ing(?) along the runway, or almost rolls when you open the door.

Oh, and landing at Basrah airport in the dead of night in a Hercules that is doing acrobatic evasive manuveurs is good fun. One minute your stomach is coming out of your ass and through the seat, then you get thrown up to the roof. Lucky I didn't puke!

haha epic.

YoungRemy
07-13-2008, 11:37 AM
do the Europeans still clap when the plane lands safely?

Americans did that for a while after 9/11, but it's back to suspecting everyone on the plane is a potential terrorist.

gotta search the old ladies and the teddy bears

Lyman Zerga
07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
we only clap when the plane explodes into billion pieces

culture diffrerence.

mate_spawn_die
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
when a plane starts to take off i scream at the top of my lungs WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! while running up and down the aile.

KENNY GUIDO
09-06-2008, 09:59 AM
do the Europeans still clap when the plane lands safely?

Americans did that for a while after 9/11, but it's back to suspecting everyone on the plane is a potential terrorist.

GOT TOsearch the old ladies and the teddy bears

im bored. look at me. im youngremy!

RobMoney$
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Slowly, I turned...
Step by Step,
inch by inch,

NIAGRA FALLS!

funk63
09-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I hope it crashes each time.

kaiser soze
09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
take off and landing are alright

I hate the smell of the bathroom, the crying kids, sitting at the terminal, and the TSA gangstas

Been a couple years since I've flown, don't miss it one bit

but I do miss my friends

YoungRemy
09-06-2008, 12:55 PM
im bored. look at me. im youngremy!

good job, Kenny! you spelled "bored" right this time(y)

thanks for digging through my posts looking for absolutely anything you can hold on to for a good laugh.

Documad
09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh no, it's true. :(

Humans are funny. Prior to this, I would have placed Remy in the Board's "Least Likely to be Stalked" category.

jennyb
09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I flew so much last year that neither began to bother me. I'm far more frightened of crashing on the 405 freeway in LA. What continues to bother me is being all up in a bunch of strangers noise/smell/funk. Packed in like sardines and sharing dna with a crowd with nowhere to run freaks me out more and more.

...and for real! What's with the Remy stalking?!

abcdefz
09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm curious what the story is, too.

I'm assuming Remy spurned Kenny's advances.

Documad
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm curious what the story is, too.

I'm assuming Remy spurned Kenny's advances.
Ha ha. :D

You're close though. Remy refused to be Kenny's west coast promotions guy. ;)

YoungRemy
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Sal wasn't giving me per diem

RETAINER!!!

Nygel
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
i don't know yet :(

rirv
09-07-2008, 03:31 AM
I've been going on planes since I was born and I used to love it. I loved the take off, flying above the clouds and the landing. I used to fly on my own, or just with my brother when I was ten or eleven. I've flown to and from the gulf, China, Europe. It was fine.

Now though, the older I get, the more I try and rationalise what is happening and I don't like it. Why is the plane flying? How does it fly? This is all withcraft and wizardry and god will punish us for it one day. Everytime there is a funny noise I get nervous. Sometimes it sounds like the engines have gone off - I hate that part. It doesn't help I had a really bad landing with Ryanair (shitty irish budget airline) on Boxing Day last year. It felt as though the plane just dropped about 20 feet above the runway. At least it wasn't two hundred feet, but it still made a huge banging noise and threw everyone around a bit. I've flown once since then and luckily the flight was fine and it has somewhat allayed my nervousness a bit.

Fern
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I was terrified to fly my whole life, would not get on a plane for shit. Flew in 1989, that was it (7 yrs old)

Last year, I went sky diving to beat my fear.

I was shitting myself getting on the plane, almost passing out.

My friends were laughing and being all tough....until we hit elevation.

I became calm soon as we lifted off.

My friends shit themselves. I remember thinking, "Ok. I took the takeoff rather well, I wonder how i'll take the landing." Then it occured to be that I was not landing.

Just jumped. One of my "tough" friends backed out.

Needless to say, I will fly, now.:confused: