PDA

View Full Version : God Parenting

Dorothy Wood
07-11-2008, 01:14 AM
so, I'm a godmother. and now I'm being asked to help my 13 year old goddaughter/cousin stop being a turd. her parents (my aunt and uncle) are nuts. they've moved all over the country and canada her whole life. well, now she's starting to get upset for real about it, like physically fighting with my aunt. and my aunt wants me to tell her that if they move back to the states, it'll be better. but that's not cool man. I'm on the kid's side. anyway, I think it's weird that I'm being called to task on the godmother thing.

who really thinks godparents are important anymore?

my mom's afraid she's going to run away and show up on my doorstep. sounds like a good premise for a buddy movie. maybe she'll move in and we'll both learn something about life and each other. :o

:mad: anyway, I really want to see her myspace since apparently it's "inappropriate" or something, and that's what I'm most worried about. she was a cool kid, I don't want her to turn into some stupid whore. godmama gonna squash that shit. can't find it though. stupid internet.

paul jones
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
I haven't seen my godparents in years although my godfather tours the world,including Canada singing in a welsh male voice choir.

I'd hate to be a kid now with all the internet going on. When I was her age I was riding around on bikes, listening to 7" singles on massive headphones, building Japanese prisoner of war camps in the back garden with lollipop sticks and imprisoning Allied soldiers in them. video games were played in arcades or at home with games that took 5 minutes to load on cassette.

great days

Kid Presentable
07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
God Parents take responsibility if the parents die, these lazy fuckers should sort their own problems out.

Loppfessor
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
God Parents take responsibility if the parents die, these lazy fuckers should sort their own problems out.

That's not exactly true...they are not just like a spare tire. They are supposed to aid in the childs spiritual teaching and growth and serve as supplements to parents.

Yeti
07-11-2008, 11:34 AM
~Godparents serve a special role in the life of a baptized person. A godparent should be a trustworthy witness of the faith who will help the godchild attain salvation. ~

Just tell her that all this moving around and instability in her life is minor compared to her salvation. Make sure to tell her to quit complaining or she will sent to hell with all the other stinkin' thinkers. that should scare her into being a proper young lady.

When you do a last will and testatment you state who will be the legal guardian of you child or children.

NoFenders
07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Legal guardian is completely different than GP. The "job" of a godparent is to provide spiritual guidance if the parents are not around. It's not to discipline them when their parents are in the next room. You should be someone she can trust. That's pretty much it. You build trust by being honest. If you don't feel the situation is right for her, and even agree with her, you, either stay out of it, or tell her you agree and just hang on.

I agree with pauljones in the fact that life was so much easier before all this internet crap. We met people by riding our bike to the pool, or hangin out at the Bread and Bottle parking lot. Girls were in their little clicks,and boys dreamed of seeing a tit for the first time. I hardly see much fun or even imginanotion in kids eyes these days. At least nowhere near as much as I used to see. Just look at Halloween. We used to rule the city on Halloween. Shaving cream,toilet paper, eggs, etc. Now it's like only 5 yr olds go out. The days of waking up and seeing the carnage are over. I've yet to see one house teepee'd and have never had one kide come to my door full of shaving cream. They don't even carry 2 pillow cases anymore.We used to stay out til the cops brought/chased us home. It's just ashame that the finer things in a kids life are taken away because of technology.

:cool:

trailerprincess
07-11-2008, 04:22 PM
My parents told us that they took the choosing of me and my siblings godparents quite seriously. Which may have been the case but seeing as all 3 sets of godparents divorced, separated or died before providing any 'spiritual guidance' I'd say serious didn't necessarily mean wise. Not that they could do much to stop either of those 3 outcomes. :o

marsdaddy
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Spirituality is defined in many ways. I think Sark's role is one where she's supposed to help the kid get through times, where her parents can't help. Saving her from degrading herself on myspace may be one way to help develop her spirituality.

We all view our parents as something other than normal (imperfect but not always wrong) people. I sort of figured this out a few years ago -- not coincidentally around the time I started thinking about how I want my kids to see me.

My mom is still crazy, though. I don't think I even had God Parents.

Lex Diamonds
07-12-2008, 08:55 AM
The turd doesn't fall far from the faggot's ass.[/sopranos]