PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Medal Table

rirv
08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Apparently the US are at the top.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/medals

This is news to me.:confused:
Everywhere else around the globe, the Chinese are heading it.

roosta
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
ha..yeah, I noticed that. They're the only ones to print the table that way so that they come out on top...

I guarantee you if circumstances means it was switched they would magically switch to the other format..

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
So what? You only consider gold medals of value? Number 1 or nothing? How very American you.

On a point scale system(Gold=3 Silver=2 Bronze=1) it's a tie 187 to 187. The deciding tie breaker goes to the country that is not communist so we are ahead.

Hey world, suck it!!!

AMERICA!!!

FUCK, YEAH!!!

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL...anything to take a jab at the good old USA

mr_rottentreats
08-21-2008, 01:40 PM

its a government conspiracy man

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
LOL...anything to take a jab at the good old USA
Not that I don't think America could use some major improvements, this always makes me think Hans Gruber.

checkyourprez
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM

Its always been like that over here, ever since I can remember. But than again America is always so fucking kick ass anyways we are always dominating the golds and overall anyways. But with a lot of track events left hopefully we get back on top with the golds, best luck for us China has no black people.

jabumbo
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
But with a lot of track events left hopefully we get back on top with the golds, best luck for us China has no black people.

that's where jamaica and kenya play the spoilers! running is all they do there!

Randetica
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
we always fail cause austria hardly ever wastes money to support our sporties but yet we got the strongest men of the universe

explain!

TAL
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Phelps could make a tiny table from his olympic medals.

mikizee
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Did I mention Australia rules, on that page we are 5th on the medal tally, with a tiny population of less than 20 million people.

We are the greatest nation on the planet

/patriot

Gareth
08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
medals per capita plz

roosta
08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
in fairness I think the way the American network's do it is actually probably the fairest

rirv
08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think it is. I think gold medals are worth more than anything. It shows who is best at the most things - if a country came third in everything they would then win the medal table that way even though they are not the best in the world at anything.

Anyway, I think the whole medal table thing is pretty arbitary and meaningless however you do it. Each medal is worth more to the athletes that won them then any global dick measuring competition.

rirv
08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
http://c4news.com/livepages/olympics2008/c4/olympicsResults.html

Hopefully that link works. It's a medals table where you can order it by population, huamn rights, GDP etc.

rirv
08-22-2008, 08:00 AM
I'd ignore the human rights one actually - it's ranked using the US Freedom House stats, not sure what they are, but I'm sure the US comes out a bit better than if Sweden or Tajikistan did it.

roosta
08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't think it is. I think gold medals are worth more than anything. It shows who is best at the most things - if a country came third in everything they would then win the medal table that way even though they are not the best in the world at anything.

That's a good point actually.

YoungRemy
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal.

as of this morning;America's got 101 of them, China's got 88 of them.

there's no real number crunching going on.

rirv
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal.

as of this morning;America's got 101 of them, China's got 88 of them.

there's no real number crunching going on.

Tell that to someone who missed out on gold by a gnat's cock.

jabumbo
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM

sure they would be disappointed that they didn't win, but that doesn't mean they aren't completely elated to have just won an olympic medal

what you are inferring here is that anyone who competes in the olympics and doesn't win gold isn't any good. you are just devaluing the efforts of the runner-ups completely.

Myu-to
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Look, yes gold medals are worth more to me than a bronze or a silver, but it is still a medal. It still matters. It still counts. I have yet to here someone who came in fourth place say..."I may have came in fourth place, but atleast I didn't have stand on a podium as one of the best in the world at my sport, having my country's flag being displayed behind me, and get some crappy ass bronze medal."

rirv
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm not saying that other medals aren't "worth" anything.
You were saying that all medals are worth the same. I was saying that a gold medal is far better than a silver which is better than a bronze which is a million times better than nothing.

YoungRemy
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

it suggests that USA has a well rounded program. I'm not trying to argue the value of gold vs. silver.

I'm telling you that your theory is off. nobody is finagling any charts or numbers.

China leads in Gold medals.

again, we all acknowledge that.

USA leads in overall medals.

the overall medal count is calculated the same way in every country.

rirv
08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Indeed.

But in every other country the medal table is ranked by golds first, with silvers and then bronzes used as tie breakers. I was merely pointing out the fact that an American version of the table I came across ranked it so that the total number of medals won was the deciding factor.

I wonder if the USA had more golds than China, would they rank it that way?

jabumbo
08-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I wonder if the USA had more golds than China, would they rank it that way?

as far as i can remember, it's always been listed by total medals here.

TurdBerglar
08-22-2008, 06:07 PM
who gives a shit

jesus christ

RobMoney$
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
just seems like rirv has an ax to grind with america.

Bob
08-24-2008, 01:08 PM
i think he's just really pro-china, aren't you rirv? let me put that in words you might understand

PING PONG CHING CHONG GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY BECAUSE IM COMMUNIST

ToucanSpam
08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Canada finished 13th or 14th in quantity and 19th overall. For a country that does not have a large population and given we went 8 days without a medal, I think we did great.

Loppfessor
08-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm just glad USA basketball won the gold...but that was a hell of a game, we need to learn some defense though

TurdBerglar
08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
i stayed up all night just to watch that game live. it was great!

Drederick Tatum
08-24-2008, 03:51 PM
rirv, why are you such a communist? is it because you hate freedom?

Whatitis
08-24-2008, 04:04 PM
You do know you can sort the table by gold/silver/bronze/total if it bugs you that much.

Myu-to
08-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Canada finished 13th or 14th in quantity and 19th overall. For a country that does not have a large population and given we went 8 days without a medal, I think we did great.
And, that's why you're Canada.

ToucanSpam
08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4599875.ece

rirv
08-26-2008, 02:35 AM
rirv, why are you such a communist? is it because you hate freedom?

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm moving to China to start a blog.

Bob
08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
You've hit the nail on the head. I'm moving to China to start a blog.

yeah but no chinese people will be able to read it

because the government won't let them

i was debating whether or not i should explain the joke because i thought maybe people would think i was making fun of the chinese for being illiterate or too poor to have access to the internet or something, but i wasn't, i swear

anyway it's not funny now