PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever own a Beagle?

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 02:06 PM
There is a female 1 yr old spayed for free in the paper. Should I go for it? I don't know anything about dogs or taking care of them...but how hard could it be? What can you fools tell me bout Beagles?

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I had a beagle/doberman mix. No joke. Damn good dog.

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
someone told me they howl a lot...any truth to that?

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, she seemed to more the the Greman Shepard we had, but it wasn't annoying or anything.

cookiepuss
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
beagels are great but a couple things you need to know about the breed:

1. they tend to wander. it's part of their hunting instinct to get on a scent and keep on going. you need an adequate enclosure/yard to keep them in and if you are an apartment deweler this dog would like frequent walks (i.e. you should at least be a moderately active person to get along well with a dog like this)

2. they are nutorious chow hounds. they have a reputation for gaining weight pretty easily especially if they don't get exercise.

3. yeah they may have a tendency to be vocal (howl or bark)...again part of the hunting genes they have.

I have not owned one personally, but I know people who have, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about most breeds, so let me know if you have other questions.

ms.peachy
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Beagles are great dogs. They do need quite a bit of exercise though; make sure you are prepared to take a few walks every day, rain or shine. Remember they are basically hunting dogs. They want to chase things. I love their bark. rowt rowt rowt. You can always tell a beagle bark.

They are not especially good with small children I've heard (can get a bit nippy, there's the whole 'bred to chase things' issue I mentioned before) but if you are unlikely to encounter many in your daily life then go for it.

Yetra Flam
08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
why would you get a dog if you don't know anything about them, or don't know how to take care of them?

cookiepuss
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
why would you get a dog if you don't know anything about them, or don't know how to take care of them?

That was kinda going to be my next question...

I mean he can learn to take care of one...but does he really have the time and energy??? and it's really important to get a dog that fits your life style. you don't want to get a greyhound if you are a total couch potato who doesn't like to go for walks or run. you should get a bulldog or something that doesn't require a ton of physical activity if you are a not an active person.

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
beagels are great but a couple things you need to know about the breed:

1. they tend to wander. it's part of their hunting instinct to get on a scent and keep on going. you need an adequate enclosure/yard to keep them in and if you are an apartment deweler this dog would like frequent walks (i.e. you should at least be a moderately active person to get along well with a dog like this)

2. they are nutorious chow hounds. they have a reputation for gaining weight pretty easily especially if they don't get exercise.

3. yeah they may have a tendency to be vocal (howl or bark)...again part of the hunting genes they have.

I have not owned one personally, but I know people who have, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about most breeds, so let me know if you have other questions.

1. I live in an apartment but I like the idea of taking her out for walks and to the park and stuff. I'm pretty active

2. I'll buy the diet dog food...plus take her to the gym

3. that may piss me off...

Umm how else will I learn?

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I think I would find out why they are giving her up. They're exceptions in every breed. I also would ask them point blank about how well she behaves. And of course, meet her, and spend a little time with her, not just a minute or two.

Yetra Flam
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
reading

mate_spawn_die
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
beagles are cute. i want one.

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I think I would find out why they are giving her up. They're exceptions in every breed. I also would ask them point blank about how well she behaves. And of course, meet her, and spend a little time with her, not just a minute or two.

I'm guessing and this is just a guess, that the family is probably transferring to a base overseas. You can take your pets with you but it's a huge hassle and then they have to stay in quarantine for so many months etc. it could be that or maybe she is just a jerk...who knows. I'll check it out though...oh and Yetra, some things you can't learn from a book.

cookiepuss
08-21-2008, 03:06 PM

exactly...but the dog is only a year old, so my guess is that she's probably pretty active and her owners have become impatient and/or don't have the time to spend with her correcting problem activities. at one year old a dog is still an adolecent...they don't really reach adulthood/adult temperment until they are 2 or 3 years old. the first 3 years are the most critical for socializing and training a dog.

Freebasser
08-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I have eaten a burger, played a bugle and have been burgled (not at the same time, you fool!).

Will any of those do?

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Here is what the add reads...

"Free to a good home
Beagle, female 1 yr old
spayed, sweet temerment,
housebroken, loves other dogs
& cats. call..."

cookiepuss
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
go check her out...if you think you really like her ask if you can take her home for 24 hours and see how she does before you commit to taking her for real. or just ask to come back the next day and spend more time. ask to take her on a walk too.

maybe they are moving or just don't have the time. any behavioral problems she may have can likely be corrected if she's with someone who has the time to spend working with her. So again make sure this is a commitment you want.

I wish they weren't advertising her for free. that's how animals abusers get thier victims.:(

ericlee
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
someone told me they howl a lot...any truth to that?

Yes they do, alot. I had a beagle named Wimpy when I was a little kid.

One time a farmer came to our house and showed my mom and dad some pics of dead chickens. My mom and dad were like, "umm, so?" He then showed a pic of Wimpy barking at them which caused the chickens to have a heart attack and die.

I remember he used to go crazy howling if ambulances or firetrucks going by. Howling louder than any other dog I've heard before.

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Snoopy is a beagle.

NUFF SAID!

cookiepuss
08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I remember he used to go crazy howling if ambulances or firetrucks going by. Howling louder than any other dog I've heard before.

my chihuahua puppy does this...only it's not all that loud and it's pretty hillarious to see her throw her head back and give this tiny howl. awo-wo-wo-wo! We live downtown, so lots of sirens everyday.

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I wish they weren't advertising her for free. that's how animals abusers get thier victims.:(

Are you accusing me of abusing animals??!!

Myu-to
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Or they feed them to their pet snakes.

Damn you Lopp!!!

Asshole.

Bob
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I have eaten a burger, played a bugle and have been burgled (not at the same time, you fool!).

Will any of those do?

did you eat the burglar?

Freebasser
08-21-2008, 04:03 PM
No! He broke into my bungalow and brazenly bungeed his way into my bedroom before bagging my signed beatles memorabilia from under my bunk-bed and before I could blow my bugle to beg for blood he bungled his way out of the bay window and bounced down the boulevard into the blazing sun.

The bastard!

Loppfessor
08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Or they feed them to their pet snakes.

Damn you Lopp!!!

Asshole.

My pet snake don't eat dogs...know what I'm sayin!!?? huh??!! know what i'm talkin bout??...huh?!!...Snake......

That's penis innuendo by the way